Any Crafters out there?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkath

Hospitality Queen
I need your ideas! Each year I'm a crafter at my son's school's holiday boutique. It's quite lucrative, and each year I've come up with something new. Well, now that my brain is stuck in "selling the house" mode, I can't come up with a good idea for the boutique. Please help!
Here's a few guidelines: no food of any sort is able to be sold. (which is a bummer, as the year I made gingham sacks filled with coffee and cocoa mixes, I did quite well!)
The items needn't be too extravagant, as a lot of items are purchased by the children, which is on the $5 and under day.

Any ideas are so appreciated!!!

Good question TG. Are you looking for crafts for kids to buy parents or other kids?
Do you have a day when you sell to adults?

Actually, it's for all ages. The first day, the teachers bring their students (k-5th) and the kids bring money and a list of who they're buying for. Then, the PTA gift-wraps all of the goodies, and the kids have Christmas presents for their families that they picked out. On this day, all items on display are those that are $5 and under. After school, the boutique takes a break for an hour, and all of the rest of the items are put on display. That night, the public is welcome to shop. The next 2 days, the boutique continues, followed by a "Breakfast with Santa".
Most times, all boutique items are $15 and under.

I got something really cute from some kids in my Sunday School class about 10 years ago. They are still on my refrigerator, so you know I love them! They took flat, light-weight stones (about the size of a half-dollar--you can get them at craft shops) and hot-glued a magnet to one side. On the other side, they used very thin paint brushes and painted flowers and inspirational sayings on them (one says "Glory to God."). For your boutique they could paint something like #1 Mom, Top Dad, or even :) or just flowers or designs on them.

:) Barbara

Last edited:
OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH, Christmas, lol, I was thinking Halloween hehe
okay, that gives me a better idea. Everyone will come up with something.

Great idea!
(I like to have at least 4 different types of crafts, so as to appeal to everyone)

I forgot to say, I'm quite crafty, with the exception of sewing. I have no ability in that department!

Tell you what - when crafts are finally made, I'll post photos :)

Barbara L said:
I got something really cute from some kids in my Sunday School class about 10 years ago. They are still on my refrigerator, so you know I love them! They took flat, light-weight stones (about the size of a half-dollar--you can get them at craft shops) and hot-glued a magnet to one side. On the other side, they used very thin paint brushes and painted flowers and inspirational sayings on them (one says "Glory to God."). For your boutique they could paint something like #1 Mom, Top Dad, or even :) or just flowers or designs on them.

Great idea, Barbara!!

Here's some things that I have made, can't find my ornaments, too much stuff to go through:rolleyes: But, I got the clear ornament balls and used polimar clay to make a cat to go on top, and fish to go inside hanging from small craft wire and it looks like a fish tank with a cat trying to get to the fish. I got that from a show on a craft channel, I'll see if I can find that one too.
found it http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/dc_occasions_december/article/0,1793,HGTV_3472_1390729,00.html
My cat is laying down with it's arm outstretched as if it were pawing at the fish though.

They're not that big of a deal, just fun making them.

And here is a link to carol duvall that looks cute.

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/dc_furnishings_other/article/0,1793,HGTV_3433_1379887,00.html

Attachments

• santa.jpg
    santa.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 212
  • pinecones.jpg
    pinecones.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 216
  • towel.jpg
    towel.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
jkath what about making latch hook rugs and selling those ?
if not i'm sure you can go buy clear christmas tree ornaments
put some paint in and roll them aroud to coat the insides.
or try mixing paint colors. like red one one side and blue on
the other ?

I used to do Native American beadwork, back when I was active in the Boy Scouts. However, the labor involved usually makes it prohibitive for selling.

Since it sounds like you're doing a Christmas-type thing, maybe the candy-cane ornaments made out of pipe cleaners and the clear and red beads?

How about home made soaps or candles?
Or you could buy pre-made candles ( Michael's had 6 votives on sale for $1.00 this weekend) and paint them.

Or You could by vases or clear glass bowls or small bottles ( Michael's also had those on sale for a dollar.) Then do etchings on them.

How much money do you have to spend on your crafts?

Something that the kids made at my daughter's school, that was so cute, were candy cane reindeer. They used a candy cane that was about 7 inches high. They made antlers from brown pipe cleaners (just twist them around the crook of the candy cane). Then they glued movable eyes on and a tiny red pom-pom for Rudolph's nose. They were absolutely adorable! I wish I had a picture of one, but I'm sure you get the idea.

Our craft group at school makes up gifts for the children to buy, they have made simple knitted scarves, Dad's bags with a couple of cheap tools in a decorative bag or box, photo frames with decorations such as shells glued on, coffee mugs with a couple of chocolates in them(I guess thats out though) keyrings made with a small wooden decoration on them. I will try to think of more and how they were made.

You guys are great! Middie, the glass ornies are done each year by one gal, who also is the soap maker. PDswife - I've not thought about painting candles... and etchings! That was one of my thoughts for last year, but I didn't do it - maybe that would be nice.
Allen, I wish I had time for the beadwork! One year I did bring in my jewelry (That used to be a side business I had for a few years) and I put the prices really low, and only had them out for the kids, since I wanted their moms to have a pretty present.
The reindeer used to sell like hotcakes every year, but since they're made with candy canes, we can't do it anymore. (This is because in Jan 2004, the law was passed in CA that you can't sell certain sugar-typed things during school hours. Our school adheres to the law, yet others still have bake sales.)
Scarves were a huge hit last year - they were just strips of polar fleece with a cut fringe on the ends. Not even any knotting! Who'd have thought of that? The woman who made them sold over 100, and also made blankets with two coordinating fabrics, and with the edges cut into strips and knotted together. Those sold out immediately!
Mrsmac - what is a Dad bag? There never seems to be enough "Dad" and "Grandpa" gifts!
Fortunately, I don't have to worry about cost for stuff - what I buy, I buy, since I know it will come back soon!

Bookworm bookmarks? Just braiding etc. Crochet dishcloths?

Spool knitting potholders or teacosies?

Back
Top Bottom