Any items that you think should be commonly available that are not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lamb ribs, smoked pork spare ribs, and breast of veal. Also, a butcher shop where I could get real Polish Kielbasa. A Kosher delicatessen where I could buy good chopped liver.

So far, very interesting,

I offered my daughter a recipe for coctail sauce and i would not buy it. Actually, I like your recipie a lot. Anyway, her family is so straight laced that when they have cranberry sauce, it must be in the shape of the can or the kids won't eat it.

Veal...is hard to find at the real "store" but I can get it at the butchers.
For awhile for reasons that no one could understand our safeway stopped stocking chip dip! It's back now because so many of us asked for it. Real Greek yogart.

Fresh fish/seafood..........no one in this area has a clue that what they sell as fresh, I wouldn't even dare give my kitties!

+1,000,000

How about American Gulf Shrimp.....fresh! I found only one fishery in the next county that sells head-on jumbo shrimp. :glare:

Wow.

do I feel lucky at this point.

I cant think of a single thing that I wish I was able to get on a often basis.

So far 1 thing I was looking for was sausage casings but I knew where to get it and took a road trip with a freind to Cabelas in PA not to far from my hosue out there and now im looking for Rennet locally but I think i know where I can get it since I know of a supermarket that makes there mutz fresh daily.

fresh raw green peanuts.. i love to make boiled peanuts.. not many people in new mexico have heard of boiled peanuts. my mom even goes as far is to shipping me the dang peanuts from florida.

Not sure where you live in NM, but when I lived in Clovis & Portales (1972-73), we used to steal the peanuts from the field when they turned them over ready for harvest. We'd take them home and either boil or roast the. Peanuts are all over the Eastern part of the state.

Goya products are finally easier to find where I live. I use to bring them home from S. Fla. They are wonderful!

Jeeks, try the portuguese section of Newark for gulf shrimp with heads on.
For those who don't know, shrimp with the heads are much, much more tasty than without.
I don't know why, but I learned this in the area above
in the late '80s.
Good luck Jeekinz

If you cook shrimp with the head on, there's a nugget of shrimp fat between the head and tail. That fat is full of flavor, and it leaks out into the sauce when it's cooked.

A year and a half ago, we got some head-on Hawaiian blue shrimp flown in. We did some Cajun BBQ'd shrimp with them. They were awesome! Only problem was, to many of the "ladies" at the club were so straight-laced that they told the GM that "real ladies shouldn't have to touch shrimp before they eat it." And that is a quote! Sadly, we can't do anything with head-on shrimp anymore.

When I was up in MI, I missed decent BBQ so much that I taught myself how to make it at home. The town I lived it, if you said you were going to have BBQ, your neighbors automatically asked what kind of steaks were you cooking, and how many hotdogs and hamburgers you were going to cook.

When I was up in MI, I missed decent BBQ so much that I taught myself how to make it at home. The town I lived it, if you said you were going to have BBQ, your neighbors automatically asked what kind of steaks were you cooking, and how many hotdogs and hamburgers you were going to cook.

What, no brats?! :LOL: I know what you mean. I grew up in Tulsa, and moved to WI 5-1/2 years ago to go to school. There is not a decent BBQ place within 100 miles (or more). I went back to Tulsa last year for my wedding, and we had our rehearsal dinner at Elmer's on Peoria. It Be Bad! :ROFLMAO:

"ladies" at the club were so straight-laced that they told the GM that "real ladies shouldn't have to touch shrimp before they eat it." And that is a quote! Sadly, we can't do anything with head-on shrimp anymore.

LOL! That quote just made my day.... I can just picture them.:ROFLMAO:

Real ladies probably don't eat crawfish or lobster or fried chicken legs either... real ladies are missing out!

Growing up in the Northeast "BBQ" was just the same term as cookout..or grilling.. I had NO IDEA what BBQ really was until I moved to Texas... life has never been the same:pig:

Goya products.
YES!!! I was in Vermont, of all places, and my brother turned me on to this great marinade (mojillo or something like that--bitter orange, and the usual suspects in a marinade). I live in the SF Bay Area and you would think that this would be easily available--not so. I went to Philly and they had it. I wrapped up a few bottles and put in my luggage (risky, I know, but I LOVE this stuff). Other than getting the stank eye from security, it survived the 3K mile journey just fine.

Buttermilk and Cookies BBQ sauce. Buttermilk is a real pain to find around here, and no where can I get Cookies BBQ sauce.
They also don't have any Sonic, Hardees, or Godfathers Pizza out here. When I first moved here I was like huh? Oh, and Casey's General Store (gas station) with their pizza shop inside. Love their BBQ chicken pizza.
One thing they have started carrying out here in the last 5 years or so is Blue Bunny ice cream... which is way cool!

We can't find raspberry frozen turnovers from Pepperidge farm here, so we have my m.i.l. bring us some when she comes for visit from CA. On the way back she buys jalapeño peppers in jars that she cannot get there.

Back
Top Bottom