Any retired people out there who need to go back to work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grandma Rose

Assistant Cook
I have been retired for quite sometime but now find that my pension is not enough. I have been looking for work but no success. I need ideas of how to increase my income. :(

Sorry to hear about your predicament. After working for 31 years, we've been retired for over 15 years. We saved (did without) while we were wage earners and still try to save in retirement. For example, we'd rather forgo the expenses of items like premium cable tv packages and try to get at least 10 years out of our automobiles to help insure we can be financially independent. Health and elder care are among the fields where employment opportunities seem to abound down here.

I have been retired for quite sometime but now find that my pension is not enough. I have been looking for work but no success. I need ideas of how to increase my income. :(

Rose, my newly widowed 67yr old neighbor found herself in your situation. She's now a very happy Nanny to a 3mo old baby. She and I were both day care mothers in our "youth", and we think what she's being paid to care for this infant is just fabulous. This professional well paid mother is thrilled to have her for $1,000 a month. I'm happy for all of them.

Have you checked out taking orders for Home Shopping Network or the like? I have a friend who is making good money working for them at home and she makes a good living.

Also a thought, I'm able to live on low Social Security income by living in low income housing. Low income housing is sponsored by HUD. You pay 30% of your gross income, they pay the rest. I have a nice one bedroom apartment and it leaves me enough that I have expanded cable TV and internet and still have enough to buy what I need. Food stamps is also a good option to save money. It's a lot easier to use now, as you get a card you can swipe at the store like any credit card, and it is replenished monthly. I only get $48 a month, but that goes a long way. Don't let pride get in your way. There's no need to struggle so hard making ends meet. In my experience, the people at the food stamp places always treat you with respect. Some places you can even apply on line. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Grandma Rose, how short is short? Are we talking unable to afford the basics of food, clothing and shelter or just can't afford the luxuries?

What was your background before you retired? And will a job affect your pension income?

Grandma Rose, how short is short? Are we talking unable to afford the basics of food, clothing and shelter or just can't afford the luxuries?

What was your background before you retired? And will a job affect your pension income?
If I was to work full time it might effect my pension, I am not sure. Right now I can still feed myself but if things do not improve I could lose my home.. I worked many years as a waitress and cleaning rooms. Most of my younger years was spent raising my 3 girls. Thank-you for your concern. Grandma Rose

Last edited:
To quote Alix, how short is short? If you are looking for spending money, and enjoy helping others, you might consider applying to be an assistant to an adult or child with physical impairments. It won't pay much but there is always a need.

Kathleen
Good idea. When I say short I mean short for living expenses. I am out looking for work all the time plus checking on line. It is not easy in Canada to take some of the advice I have gotten but I do thank-you for the imput.
Grandma Rose

Obviously the situation of GrandmaRose in Canada is different from most of the rest of us here in the U.S......and even more so for the members in different countries. I'm sure with the thousands of member that are here, someone will come up with a good idea, or possibly know of an opportunity somewhere.

My wife & I have a large place with horses and a pool. School kids flock here after school every day and hang around here for a much as 4 hours until their parents pick them up after they get off work. I assist with science homework and my wife makes snacks for everyone. We don't charge because we enjoy the company. I've heard dozens of times that we could be making a lot of money by watching after school children. Perhaps that may be a possibility if there is money to be made? I am just thinking out loud.

Mmany companies have call centers to take calls from customers placing orders etc. The work is generally very boring but for those of us who are getting up there it's doable work. Just call around and see what might be needed in your area.

Can your church help you out? Alot of times churches have money set aside for some help. Our thoughts & prayers are with you.

With the downswing in the economy, several friends came up with ways to add "eggs to their baskets:"

A garden tending service (spring clean up, planting help, weeding, fall clean up, watering/weeding while people are away)
Taking orders for home-cooked meals and delivering them, frozen (this might have issues re: Health Dept)
Running errands, etc. (personal shopper) for someone who doesn't drive and was recently widowed
Dog walking
house sitting
minding children b/4 and after school
Relieving a caregiver of an Alzheimer's patient
In-home dog/pet boarding (dog/pet comes to her home)

I know we hunted high and low to find s/one who would come in an cook for our parents 3 days/week (using up the food in the pantry/freezer) and helping with the grocery shopping, cleaning out the fridge.

I would hope that one could find enough of these "little joe jobs" to boost a pension/EI/disability allowance. I know I have a friend with MS who is really struggling on her disability allowance.

Bless you all for your ideas. To CWS4322, your list could really be helpfull to me. I have even written down your list. Thank-you again.
Grandma Rose

Today, I had someone tell me that their daughter works as a medical coder/biller. Evidently one can work from home and make between $10 to $16 an hour as a starting pay doing it. Her daughter took a few training classes. I'm unsure what background she had, but know she did not attend college. She also has benefits and flexibility when she works. Her company supplied the computer and connection for her home, and they paid her minimum wage during training. The daughter is a stay-at-home mom who wanted to earn a bit extra, and ended up working more because she simply likes it.

Just thought I'd pass it on.

Last edited:
CW, I look at your list and see a lot of things that down here in the US you need to be licensed and insured to do. I didn't realize Canada was that relaxed on caring for people, pets, homes, or doing yardwork. That's pretty interesting. I need to move up there when I retire from down here, lol.

I understand that if one were to advertise as a business, there would possibly be restrictions. However, taking a pet into your home as a person vs. a kennel should not require one complies with by-laws. You drop by your local vet, groomer, or trainer and let them know you'd take a dog/cat for a weekend. I have a kennel license. All it is is a business license. I use it for housing foster dogs for rescue 4-5 months year. I have yet to have my kennel inspected. The same is true for doing "elder sitting" for a couple of hours/week. The folks I know who do these things are not advertising as businesses, rather word-of-mouth services to help out (and fwiw, we never did find s/one to help with the cooking for my parents--even after talking with the agencies in the town where they live...sigh).

The people I know who do these things do these things for neighbours, friends of friends, etc. They don't run "businesses."

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom