Any unusual gifts??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VeraBlue

Executive Chef
So, most years since my husband and I seperated christmas has always been spent the same way. I always do a big christmas eve dinner, and then, on christmas day the kids and I would go to his girlfriend's home for dinner there. It was fine enough, but, honestly....I don't really care for hanging out with her parents and her brother. They just don't fit in with the 1313 Mockingbird crowd. Kinda stuffy, ya know.. But, I just love her husband and his boyfriend. The boyfriend is also in the foodservice business and if nothing else, we can talk shop for hours. We also exchange gifts, myself, the husband and the boyfriend.
I didn't go this year because this year Lou didn't go home to have dinner with his brother's family. He stayed here instead. My daughter did go for dinner and returned a short while ago with gifts for me from the husband and boyfriend.
One was a very nice cocktail bag with ostrich feathers. Gay guys always give girls the coolest gifts. Nothing general about it. Living so close and working in NYC, I've had more than the average amount of gay guy friends. Always, without a doubt, the fancyiest, froofiest gifts you can imagine. And always just right, too. But, there was another gift, too....

A suede coat with fur trim. Imagine my shock when I opened this large gift bag and noticed a suede coat with fur trimmed collar. I asked my daughter if she brought home someone's coat by accident. She assured me they handed her the bag to give to me. So.....I try the coat on. Oddly, the buttons are on the wrong side. They are on the guy's side, if you know what I mean. Then, I put my hands in the pockets...and discovered a receipt for gas and cigarettes from a gas station in CT, near where the boyfriend lives. More shock, and lots of laughter. Apparently, my gay friend didn't care for the coat and passed it on to me. Admittedly, it's a little feminine, even for a gay guy. So, I called to thank them for the gift, but not after I phoned my ex husband, who'd just had christmas dinner with them, to tell them of my pocket discovery.

Ah, what was I supposed to do, eh? I really dig them and who cares if it's been on someone else's back. Nice gesture, I say. My childhood friend and his boyfriend are coming for dinner this Monday. I should invite my exhusband's girlfriend's husband and his boyfriend. I bet it will be a hoot.

So....did anyone else get anything unexpected??

I swear to god, you cannot make this stuff up.

So, most years since my husband and I seperated christmas has always been spent the same way. I always do a big christmas eve dinner, and then, on christmas day the kids and I would go to his girlfriend's home for dinner there. It was fine enough, but, honestly....I don't really care for hanging out with her parents and her brother. They just don't fit in with the 1313 Mockingbird crowd. Kinda stuffy, ya know.. But, I just love her husband and his boyfriend. The boyfriend is also in the foodservice business and if nothing else, we can talk shop for hours. We also exchange gifts, myself, the husband and the boyfriend.
I didn't go this year because this year Lou didn't go home to have dinner with his brother's family. He stayed here instead. My daughter did go for dinner and returned a short while ago with gifts for me from the husband and boyfriend.
One was a very nice cocktail bag with ostrich feathers. Gay guys always give girls the coolest gifts. Nothing general about it. Living so close and working in NYC, I've had more than the average amount of gay guy friends. Always, without a doubt, the fancyiest, froofiest gifts you can imagine. And always just right, too. But, there was another gift, too....

A suede coat with fur trim. Imagine my shock when I opened this large gift bag and noticed a suede coat with fur trimmed collar. I asked my daughter if she brought home someone's coat by accident. She assured me they handed her the bag to give to me. So.....I try the coat on. Oddly, the buttons are on the wrong side. They are on the guy's side, if you know what I mean. Then, I put my hands in the pockets...and discovered a receipt for gas and cigarettes from a gas station in CT, near where the boyfriend lives. More shock, and lots of laughter. Apparently, my gay friend didn't care for the coat and passed it on to me. Admittedly, it's a little feminine, even for a gay guy. So, I called to thank them for the gift, but not after I phoned my ex husband, who'd just had christmas dinner with them, to tell them of my pocket discovery.

Ah, what was I supposed to do, eh? I really dig them and who cares if it's been on someone else's back. Nice gesture, I say. My childhood friend and his boyfriend are coming for dinner this Monday. I should invite my exhusband's girlfriend's husband and his boyfriend. I bet it will be a hoot.

I was on my way to looking up something on Google for my family and spotted an e-mail from D.C. I opened and found your story. My family and I laughed so hard. You're right, you can't make this stuff up and your coat gives "regifting" a whole new perspective. Thanks for the laugh. Enjoy the coat.

Do you like the coat? I've had stuff regifted to me too and if you regift something it certainly shouldn't be used. Too funny. My ex mother in law once gave me a hideous sweater from the GAP for xmas and when I tried to return it (no receipt) the GAP wouldn't take it because it had been purchased for NINETY NINE CENTS at their warehouse outlet TWO years earlier!
I've never had much luck with mother in laws, but that ticked me off! It was kind of funny too.

Oh Vera, I love your posts and this one is right up there! I have been feeling pretty rotten and "non-Christmasy" all day and you just turned it all around for me!

This year so far has been pretty normal for gifts, though I still haven't exchanged with my family or some of my friends due to weather, but have a story to tell about my hubby's family.

One year, before I was part of the family and just as they were realizing that his maternal grandmother was suffering from Alzheimers, the family had a gift exchange at her care home. DH is the youngest of 5, and has numerous cousins on that side as well. Grandma gave them all food gifts that year. I don't know what everyone got but the two that stood out were DH, who got a ham, a whole, bone-in smoked ham. And one of his sisters got 1 pound of butter. Well as each gift was opened I guess the looks on the family got stranger and stranger but they all politely hugged and kissed grandma and dutifully took their gifts home. Since DH and his sister lived in the same house (that we eventually took over in the first years of our marriage), they had come in the same car. There was silence most of the way home and DH thought it was because he got the more expensive gift. But all of a sudden his sister pulled over and stopped the car and started to laugh until she cried. She said the laughter was because she had thought that morning she needed some butter for some cookies she wanted to make and the tears were the realization that Grandma would never be the same again.

That night they had the ham and the cookies made with the butter and toasted to Grandma. While she lived another 10 years to the age of 95, that was the last presents they got from her. They are still talked about to this day.

:) If you like the coat then great. Think of it this way he didn't give you the shirt off his back he gave you the coat off of his back.;);)

Dear VeraBlue,
Wear it in the best of health!
Hugs, Pie Susan

My brothers always get awful presents for our mother. They are either age inappropriate, tacky, the wrong size, cheap, etc. I know it is the thought that counts but our parents put us all through graduate school and gave each of us a nest egg to start out with. E.g., One would think yoga toe socks would be inappropriate for someone in their mid80s who has diabetes. I can give you lots of examples like this. My mom thinks it is the dil's who do the shopping but I don't think it matters.

I have wanted a dutch/french oven for SO long and guess what.....I got 2 for Christmas. Now I need some recipes for it. LOL...HELP

I have wanted a dutch/french oven for SO long and guess what.....I got 2 for Christmas. Now I need some recipes for it. LOL...HELP

That actually sounds like a good problem to have! If you don't need two, maybe you could return one.

Nothing too unusual here. James got (from me) a pretty note in large fancy teal print, wrapped in a cutting board box. The note said:

Coming Soon
To a Mailbox Near You
2 Pounds of
Buckwheat Pancake Mix

He has been wanting buckwheat pancakes since I met him, and I finally thought to look online. Unfortunately I didn't find it until it was too late for Christmas delivery. Needless to say, he was very excited!

:)Barbara

I don't believe that name came up when I did my search. I bought it at Suttonsbayspices.com. I will check Fowler's Mill out though, now that I know about it. Thanks!

:)Barbara

Oh Vera! Another wonderful read! Thank you and have the most wonderful of days!!

Not an unusual gift but...Paul did get me the Amazon Kindle. I'm reading the newest James Patterson book on it now. IT's GREAT!!!

Oh Vera! Another wonderful read! Thank you and have the most wonderful of days!!

Not an unusual gift but...Paul did get me the Amazon Kindle. I'm reading the newest James Patterson book on it now. IT's GREAT!!!
:) Man I would love a Kindle but will wait since I just got a new laptop two weeks ago.

The only Bizarre thing I got was from my brother in law and his wife. They dont have much money , so i never expect to get a gift at all. And sure, its the thought that counts. But when I opened up my little gift bag and saw 6 halls cough drops sealed in a ziplock, an appointment calendar from last year, and a lip balm, it was hard not to make a face ( which I didnt. They gave the same thing to everyone, each in their own gift bag.

Im not complaining about the gift, just curious about the thought process behind it. Just like last year when my mother in law got me a window squeegie (sp). Was she thinking id lose my job and have to work the corners cleaning windshields ??

Oh I know you weren't complaining... I'd like to ask them what they were thinking too...

I talked about nothing else since I first saw the Kindle on Oprah's show. Amazon has been sold out of these for quite a while. They come in and they're gone immediately. My kids told me they would get one for me as soon as they become available. Then it hit me, you have to buy the books at $9.99. While that's a bargain, I don't buy books, EVER. I get them free from the library. I would still love to have the Kindle and I envy you. Enjoy it.

Back
Top Bottom