Anyone else bummed that it's fall?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Living in Northern Minnesota we have the 4 seasons and Fall is the best. The tree are turning now and the garden crops are almost ended and canning almost done. No bugs, cool and no humidity. Smells so good in the early am and evening.

I don't mind early fall, but its a harbinger of winter, which I hate. And once the time changes and it gets dark at 5pm, I am pretty miserable. I have seasonal affective disorder too, so the gray, blah days turn me into an old grouch. I just want to hibernate til spring. I tend to eat more carbs, sleep more and be very grumpy til spring.

I don't like fall at all. Everything is turning brown & dying. It seems like it's dark more than it's light. It always depresses me. Winter can be cozy at times but there's nothing like Spring - when it's not too hot, not too cold, no humidity, everything is coming alive again - re-birth. If I could find a place where it's Spring weather all year round, that's where I'd want to live.

corazon90 said:
Don't get me wrong, I like the fall too but I'm just not ready for it yet.

I think most everyone doesn't have to deal with the "gray" as much as you do. I went to visit my sister and we left beautiful weather in Oregon to visit REALLY cold, gray, foggy, rainy weather in Seattle. We went by the little passenger train. It was so cold that we only stayed for about 45 minutes. We were soaked and freezing!!!

:ermm: :clap: Fall..no more 100+* Temperatures !! we are back in the 90's this week. thank goodness it cools down at dark.
But I do like daylight savings time..
Dove

Ellen said:
Yes, we call your summer our winter, and vice versa. We are just coming into spring now.

Thanks Ellen!! Now I am a little wiser than yesterday...:rolleyes:

I for one am glad that fall is here. I can put up with the early darkness in fall and then the snow in winter and the awakening of nature in spring, however the heat of summer is something that I dread. Perhaps this isn't as much a vote for the fall season but a vote against summer.

I LOVE the fall, winter and spring, and I live in an area that has all the seasons. I love the assortment of hay rides, weinie roasts and fall colors coming up, actually the maples are just starting to turn. I love snow, sled riding, cross country skiing, and the spring is just special with the rebirth of the plants and trees. I dread the heat and humidity that comes with my summers, they just sap my energy. We got air-conditioning three years ago and that has been a blessing for this post menopausal person. I like the early darkness, because we go to bed so early, it is difficult to fall asleep when it is daylight. And it makes doing chores more logical. The goats do not like to got to bed until dusk, so I am doing chores just before I turn in during the summer. Now I can do their chores when it fits my schedule, not theirs!

corazon90 said:
It's been cold here the last few days and I think summer is over. I usually look forward to the next season but not this time around. We had a late start on summer, it didn't really dry up and warm up until mid July but now it's already over. Kinda bummed out about it. I'm just not ready for the weather to be gray and rainy again. Anyone else?

Seeing where you live definitely will color your opinion but we are in MY VERY VERY FAVORITE weather/season. And if that is shouting, so be it!!! ;o)

I'm a summer type girl... this rain and gray coldness... just isn't for me.

Give me warmth and sunshine!!!!

C.Whalen said:
I for one am glad that fall is here. I can put up with the early darkness in fall and then the snow in winter and the awakening of nature in spring, however the heat of summer is something that I dread. Perhaps this isn't as much a vote for the fall season but a vote against summer.

This is sort of how I feel, too. Although, part of the basis for my feeling this way is that we live in an area that's extremely hot and humid in the summer and our 1880 house isn't air-conditioned. We rely on lots of ceiling and box fans and as many doors and windows that will open.

I've always been more of a cold weather girl. I loved living in northern Minnesota near the Canadian border. I thrived there. Some people don't understand. I've always felt that I can put on enough clothes to get warm but haven't yet been able to take enough off to get comfortably cool...that is, legally.

I particularly enjoy fall because I'm able to cook wonderful soups and stews and all those yummy cold weather dishes.

I also like the fall and winter because I can dress my bed in our goose down comforters and flannel sheets. I love sinking down in all that cozy bed stuff.

And I love to watch the leaves turn and see them dancing on the sidewalks and in our yard. Our outside kitties have a great time chasing them.

The only real negative to fall for me is that there's so little daylight. My husband and I relish sitting out on our big front porch in the evenings with a drink. That'll come to an end when it gets too cold and dark to do it. I'll miss that and the kitties will, too. They enjoy sitting with us.

But, by the time fall and winter are about to end, I'm ready for spring. And, isn't it nice, by then spring usually is only a couple of weeks or days away. Time certainly flies.

Katie

We had frost this morning. I am so disgruntled.

Despite living in Alberta my whole life so far, I still cannot get used to the winters and cannot stand them. I am moving to the west coast next year... i cant stand it anymore.

Fall makes me kind of sad. I like to be outdoors and fall signals the end to that. Around here, we are on the edge of the central time zone and it gets dark at 4:30 in the winter. So yes I agree, even though it was even more hot and humid than usual in middle Tennessee, fall is fairly depressing.

carolelaine said:
Around here, we are on the edge of the central time zone and it gets dark at 4:30 in the winter.

That's how it is here too and that is probably the most depressing thing about winter. I need sunlight!

What is terrible is that when I leave for work in the morning it is still dark out and then by the time I get finished work, again, it is dark out... so its like I dont even get to see the sun much at all during the day. I dont like that. :(

I like the time just before the fall - like the first week in sept - the fall and winter bum me out - i need the sun... love lying on warm sand getting tan and just relaxing outside - Of course love to BBQ outside

Spring and fall are what I like the most. Of course with the change in season, veggies and fruit are not in abundance, but I guess we cannot have our cake and eat it too.

Well, your Fall is our Autumn and this year the seasons have been slow in turning. There are still lots of leaves on the trees, and this is unusual by beginning of November.

Getting wet and squally, though - and the weather is set to get colder from tomorrow, or so the Met Office tells us!

not bummed out at all! fall marks the beginning of the Baking Season! of course i bake all year round, but i figure you might as well put some of that home heating bill to double use: heat the house by baking: pies, cobblers & crisps, bread, muffins, poundcakes & fruitcakes (which reminds me that i'd better get a move on getting the candied fruit chopped up and soaked in brandy). the only downside is that i'll need to greatly reduce my ice-cream consumption to make up for the added fat intake.
icon12.gif

The temperature took a nose dive last week and it suddenly became almost like a winter here. The last couple of days it warmed up a bit, as it is a bit too early for a "down jacket, scarf and mittens" weather just yet. I am already starting to see some Christmas decorations being put up, which sort of cheer up my spirit. Actually, once it gets COLD, I can pretty much deal with it (not that I LIKE that), I don't mind the "greyness" so much either, I think for me the most bumming part of the year is more of the "end of the summer" factor, rather than coming of the autumn.

Well I have to admit I love it when the leaves change colors............don't like the aftermath of leaf raking so much anymore.

I love the smell of autumn in the air ...........no so much the leaf buring though.

Honestly, I'd miss it if it wasn't here. I don't think I could live anywhere where there wasn't the 4 seasons to experience.

Back
Top Bottom