Anyone else have trouble with 411 services?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Particularly the 'Free 411' I cannot seem to work them automated systems. Here is an example of what I had to go through to TRY to get a number for my cable company after they changed their number. (Yes it was unsuccessful).

411: Business or residential...
Me: Residential...
411: City and state, or say Toll Free...
Me: Toll Free...
411: Say a state of Nationwide...
Me: Nationwide...
411: What listing please?
Me: New Wave...
411: A J Towing, is that right, or say 'go back'.
Me: Go back.
411: What listing?
Me: New Wave Communications!!!
411: Peter Pan Bus Lines... Is that right, or say New Search
Me: New Search!!!
411: Business or Residential, City/State... Toll Free...What listing...
Me: Stupid Idiots!!!
411: Super 8 Motels....

Arrggghhhh!!! Is there any tricks on how to do those things? Anybody?

I can imagine. I was already thinking about people down in southern Louisiana, with their Cajun accents.

It also doesnt help that everyone on the other end thinks I'm an old woman (i am a guy 36 yrs)

I really laughed out loud over that Rocky! :LOL:

If you're only 36 yrs old, you're too young to remember the old days of the phone company when we all talked to live people and there were no buttons to push with a rotary dial phone. We actually had to dial "O" for operator (think of that) to talk to a live person to make a long distance call for example. Dialing 411 actually put you through to an operator who would look up the number for you if you were too lazy to haul out the big thick phone book from the drawer. I still remember my childhood phone number...Miller 8-5305, and it was a party line. In case you might think I'm ancient, I don't remember wall crank phones though. ;)

The last time I used 411 to get a number was a number of years ago, before I had a smartphone. I wasn't home and needed a number. The experience was similar to to rockey's with the added choice of French or English.

Now, like GG and Andy, I Google numbers, even if I'm not home.

Last edited:
:LOL: It's not just 411. It seems to be any automated phone voice service. I am an American English speaker, have absolutely no discernible accent (except when I return from a trip to Canada, and that only lasts for a week) and one of my degrees is in Theatre Arts. I speak very plainly and succinctly, and have a low voice.

I get the runaround whenever I talk to any automated service. I hate them. All of them put you through the same menu, and their "voice recognition" can't understand anything! And to top it off, I get addressed as "Sir" when I finally do get to talk to a real person!

Last edited:
:LOL: It's not just 411. I am an American English speaker, have absolutely no discernible accent (except when I return from a trip to Canada, and that only lasts for a week) and one of my degrees is in Theatre Arts. I speak very plainly and succinctly, and have a low voice.

I get the runaround whenever I talk to any automated service. I hate them. All of them put you through the same menu, and their "voice recognition" can't understand anything! And to top it off, I get addressed as "Sir" when I finally do get to talk to a real person!
I get "Sir" all the time. Heck, I got mistaken for a boy on the phone when I was a kid. I once phoned the operator (there was no emergency number yet) to report a small fire in our kitchen. My mother was busy putting it out. The operator said, "Little boy, I want to talk to your mother." I was very offended. I had given our address and phone number and told her the problem. What more could my mother tell her? And she was really busy.

I still remember my childhood phone number...Miller 8-5305, and it was a party line. In case you might think I'm ancient, I don't remember wall crank phones though. ;)

We must be from the same era Kayelle. Our number when I was a kid growing up in Toronto was "Plymouth 5-4615".:ROFLMAO: Jeez....times sure have changed

Tired of getting the run around? Take a look. Works for me.

Gethuman - Home Page

I have used this for many, many years. Every so often I go back and check it just to make sure the company is still around. This stays in my bookmark. :angel:

Last edited:
Tired of getting the run around? Take a look. Works for me.

Gethuman - Home Page

I have used this for many, many years. Every so often I go back and check it just to make sure the company is still around. This stays in my bookmark. :angel:

Yup, I find it very useful when booking flights, and the airlines make changes. You can skip over all the junk. It's the local newspapers and stores that aren't listed but are automated that drive me nuts.

Last edited:
Try getting a phone book from the phone company or worse, try to find the address of the local phone company in an attempt to have a face to face conversation with a human being. It won't happen here where I live. New cell phone service? There's some sort of service office tucked into every shopping center.

Try getting a phone book from the phone company or worse, try to find the address of the local phone company in an attempt to have a face to face conversation with a human being. It won't happen here where I live. New cell phone service? There's some sort of service office tucked into every shopping center.

Someone leaves a yellow pages and white pages on our porch each spring. We just recycle them.

Back
Top Bottom