Anyone else losing money today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:) From what I understand the stock market would be just fine until people panic and start selling off instead of sitting tight. If they would just relax and wait it would not come to this. Am I right or wrong?

we've taken big hits.........that's the economy now.........but we;re not selling either...........we've also come into some big money in the past........it all evens out in the end.......don't invest $$$ unless you can afford to lose it..........

we've taken big hits.........that's the economy now.........but we;re not selling either...........we've also come into some big money in the past........it all evens out in the end.......don't invest $$$ unless you can afford to lose it..........
kriss Kristoffersonson is teilling me to let my hair down.........yeah Kriss for you I will.......and I have long hair...........no greys yet.........why i don't know the hell why............I have grey tonails........:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

:)Because of this thread I made DH go to town today and put one of his bigger accounts into a different bank so it is insured. He has all his/ our eggs in one bank.

Someone said to me recently, "Why is it when the price goes down on anything but stocks people buy like crazy and stock up?"

Makes sense to me. I think if I can scrape together extra cash I'm going to go "shopping". I hear banks are looking for investors. :rolleyes:

Most definitely. Anything can happen, even with the feds...:)

According to what I know and according to Suzy Orman and several other knowledgable financial experts, CD's are the safest thing you can invest in. Your interest rate will go down only if there is a huge drop in the interest rate and that never happens. Your money is safe and you won't lose anything but you may not collect the high interest rate you started with. But you will retain the principal and any interest you've accrued up to that point. I have had CD's for 30 years and never had one drop a point in interest. This is very safe, that's why I pulled out of the market just before the big drop a couple of days ago. Timed that one right. Bought another large CD this morning at Wamu (now J.P. Morgan Chase).

According to what I know and according to Suzy Orman and several other knowledgable financial experts, CD's are the safest thing you can invest in. Your interest rate will go down only if there is a huge drop in the interest rate and that never happens. I have had CD's for 30 years and never had one drop a point in interest. This is very safe, that's why I pulled out of the market just before the big drop a couple of days ago. Timed that one right. Bought another large CD this morning at Wamu (now J.P. Morgan Chase).

I bought that same WaMu CD last night. I'm also kicking myself in the butt because I bought 4 CDs (laddered) about 10 days ago at much lower rates elsewhere.
How can the rates go down if it's a fixed CD? They shouldn't.

I bought that same WaMu CD last night. I'm also kicking myself in the butt because I bought 4 CDs (laddered) about 10 days ago at much lower rates elsewhere.
How can the rates go down if it's a fixed CD? They shouldn't.

If you buy a 5% CD and for some strange reason the interest rate goes down to 2% it is no longer profitable for the bank to pay you 5% so they will pull your CD. You have the choice of leaving it in at 2% or taking it and going elsewhere to invest it. This has only happened once in 40 years so don't worry. It is a possiblity but not a probability. Before you invest, get the answers you need from your banker. You need to know exactly what you're doing with your money. When I bought my second CD this morning, I held out a large amount in a money market liquid account so that if the interest rate goes higher, I can put that money in at the higher rate.

If you buy a 5% CD and for some strange reason the interest rate goes down to 2% it is no longer profitable for the bank to pay you 5% so they will pull your CD. You have the choice of leaving it in at 2% or taking it and going elsewhere to invest it. This has only happened once in 40 years so don't worry. It is a possiblity but not a probability. Before you invest, get the answers you need from your banker. You need to know exactly what you're doing with your money. When I bought my second CD this morning, I held out a large amount in a money market liquid account so that if the interest rate goes higher, I can put that money in at the higher rate.

Got it. But as far as the current state, it's highly unlikely the feds will drop major points, if any.
Anyway, I don't think you can go wrong with a 5% yield, and it's only for 12 months.

:) So what you guys are saying one dos NOT have to have CDs FDIC insured as that money can't be touched other than your interest rate possibly going down? When it comes to finances I'm totally clueless just don't have the brain for it except the basics.

I believe all CDs are insured regardless of which institution you buy it from.

:) Yes but what I'm trying to understand is that your bank will only insure one account with the FDIC up to $100.000 but it will not cover your other accounts meaning one must take other accounts to other banks to get the insurance?

Back
Top Bottom