Anyone here from North Carolina?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

philso

Senior Cook
long time no see. sorry for the extended absence from the board, but life has been keeping me busy indeed.

anyway, my daughter will be going to college in a few years, and i'm thinking of sending her to UNC. at the moment, Raleigh, Greensboro & Charlotte are all under consideration. I'm thinking to buy a house both as a place for my daughter to live and as an investment property.

real estate appears to be around 30% or so more expensive in Raleigh for comparable properties. other than that, my main concern is for the safety of the neighborhood and i can glean only so much from the internet. i've found property & violent crime maps for Greensboro, and that city appears to be quite a checkerboard. i haven't found any information by neighborhood for Raleigh & Charlotte. what looks appealing about Charlotte is that the univesity is miles outside of the city in what looks like a solid middle- to upper-middleclass neighborhood.

because i've spent the last 18 or so years here in japan, other than paying my u.s. taxes doing a little internet shopping, my fiscal activity stateside can only be described as sparse, so i'm not counting on being able to get a mortgage. so most likely, i'll be sending about $100 K tops.

any info about the pro's & con's of the neighborhoods within a few miles of the universities will be enormously appreciated.

by the way, for those of you who know about my wife,she's still doing reasonably well, so thank you for your past prayers.

Don't now much about North Carolina, but I have a housing suggestion. Think of buying a near-campus condominium. It's more likely to be within your budget and your daughter will find it easier to maintain. I have experience doing this, both for my own children as well as investment. It has worked well. If you have questions, please pm me.

Sorry I'm not familiar with the communities you mentioned.

I should have mentioned the safety for your daughter. Living in a condo provides a certain amount of security in that she will not live in isolation. There will always be someone around. There will always be someone to call if a problem exists.

Back
Top Bottom