Anyone interested ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
... in movies and TV series from non-US, English speaking countries? We've watched not just English, but Australian, New Zealand, Canadian, Welsh, Irish .... well, we're hooked. Thank heaven for Netflix. My husband will find an actor or subject he likes, and order everything he/she acts in. I'll read (I'm really into mystery books) and tell him about a series that I think is a TV series or movie. Sometimes it's just a PBS happenstance. Right now my friends are into "Downton Abby". These are friends we haven't known but a couple of years, and when we meet at our "third place", we catch up on and exchange these shows. For us, lately, it is "New Tricks". "Ballykisangel" was a huge hit for us! And you can go back to "Upsairs, Downstairs" (a lot of similarities to Downton), and maybe an all-time favorite, "Duchess of Duke Street".

Anyone else a fan? And, for those of you who are actually living with them real-time (as opposed to we who have to wait for them to come to the US!), let me know which are ones we should look forward to!

i love "downton abbey". season 2 starts this sunday.

season 1 is available online at pbs.org for another week or so.

for irish shows, nothing beats "father ted".

they're not really tv series per se, but i also like "top gear", "the graham norton show", "would you rather...", and "gordon ramsay's kitchen nightmares", all on bbc america.

"absolutely fabulous" is a good comedy as well.

i love "downton abbey". season 2 starts this sunday.

season 1 is available online at pbs.org for another week or so.

for irish shows, nothing beats "father ted".

they're not really tv series per se, but i also like "top gear", "the graham norton show", "would you rather...", and "gordon ramsay's kitchen nightmares", all on bbc america.

"absolutely fabulous" is a good comedy as well.
Tom mate Downton Abbey has split the telegensia down the middle overhere, I suspect this is because it was made for commercial TV.
Father Ted for me is very special,if you cant get Rab C Nesbitt here is a taste, it is rumored he is ramseys father. Rab C. Nesbitt. More. 1994 Christmas Special Part 1 - YouTube

I enjoy any of the British TV that trickles in on PBS.

I even enjoy the 1970's and 80's stuff the PBS station still shows. Things like Are you being served?, Lovejoy etc...

And of course EastEnders!

Just for you Aunt Bea. A true kitchen goddess, this is Auntie Beeb at its best and Fanny is soberhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuZiPiFl-q4

I live in the UK and think British TV is pretty awful! The only shows I like are cooking ones. Apart from that, give me an American series any day! To be honest I don't watch much tv, although I agree that Father Ted is hilarious. Oh and Bottom is hysterically funny, pity the show got stopped. If anyone can find the Live show of Bottom Hooligan's Island, prepare for some laughs!

bt -

Sounds like we enjoy the same shows.

Did yyou know AbFab is coming back with new shows for it's 20th anniversary. They start TONIGHT on BBC America.

We watch a lot of PBS and BBC America here too. We love "Born and Bred", 'Doc Martin", " All Creatures Great and Small" and ... well... Dr. Who.

Just for you Aunt Bea. A true kitchen goddess, this is Auntie Beeb at its best and Fanny is sober

Bolas,

I love her! She reminds me of one of my Aunts! My Aunt looked the same from the time she was in her mid forties until the time she was in her mid eighties. She always had a cigarette in one hand, with a long ash that never fell when she gestured grandly, and a cocktail in the other hand that never seemed to get empty. My Aunt never cooked though, she would get us special treats from the bakery or take us to a grand restaurant for a dish of ice cream. She loved us and we loved her but none of us new quite what to do with the other. I think she always breathed a sigh of relief when we left! :LOL:

The cooking show I follow now is Rachel Allen. I still miss the fat ladies and Delia Smith. I think Delia was from your area originally.

Thanks again,
B

Last edited by a moderator:
On Netflix, I'm currently working my way through the series "Monarch of the Glen". A 30 something London Restaurateur, inherits his family's 35,000 acres and Castle. The estate is buried in debt and the new Laird is tasked with reviving the estate into a profitable business. Based on the refurbishment and income generating goals of a Scot Laird and his family's holdings and castle, it's a very well acted series. One of the characters makes me laugh like crazy. Duncan spends almost all his time running wildly in a kilt. If the guy moves 6 feet, it's at a dead run.

I give this series a 9 of 10 on the enjoyment meter!

one of my favorite lines so far is when a man and wife are preparing to return to town, she says; "Perhaps we can splurge and call a taxi". Her husband replies; "What? A needless expense! It's only 8 miles to town from here. A short walk!"

Last edited:
Doc Martin
Inspector Morse
Rosemary & Thyme
Cadfael
Upstairs, Downstairs
Hamish MacBeth
Keeping Up Appearances
Prime Suspect
Foyle's War
Bonekickers
Vera (actually anything with Brenda Blethyn)
Lovejoy

Most British Movies

Fiona, I love all the series you mention. But I haven't heard of two of them, Bonekickers and Vera. What are they about? Hubby usually orders things that look interesting through Netflix.

I think humor can be very culture specific. I, personally, think it is odd that most English people I've known (especially of a certain age), just think that any man in drag is hysterically funny. My husband absolutely loved Benny Hill (thank heavens he hasn't ordered that on Netflix, or I might have to move out for awhile).

Fiona, I love all the series you mention. But I haven't heard of two of them, Bonekickers and Vera. What are they about? Hubby usually orders things that look interesting through Netflix.

Bonekickers is very similar to Bones/CSI, anthropologists but with a healthy dose of fantasy and riddles. Vera is a detective, the blurb on the box says, "think female Columbo."

I think humor can be very culture specific. I, personally, think it is odd that most English people I've known (especially of a certain age), just think that any man in drag is hysterically funny. My husband absolutely loved Benny Hill (thank heavens he hasn't ordered that on Netflix, or I might have to move out for awhile).

I agree, I find Benny Hill close to offensive, but Monty Python is hysterical. Maybe the times, too! Dad and Shrek like Benny Hill, but they also appreciate MP. Maybe it's a gender thing, too.

I'm right there with you on Benny Hill. My Dad loved his show. I'd rather have my toenails pulled out with vise-grips than watch it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom