AP: Premium tuna fetches $100,000 at auction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kleenex

Master Chef
Premium tuna fetches $100,000 at auction - Weird news- msnbc.com

From article:

Two sushi bar owners paid more than $100,000 for a Japanese bluefin tuna at a Tokyo fish auction Monday, several times the average price and the highest in nearly a decade, market officials said.

The 282-pound (128-kilogram) premium tuna caught off the northern coast of Oma fetched 9.63 million yen ($104,700), the highest since 2001, when another Japanese bluefin tuna brought an all-time record of 20 million yen, market official Takashi Yoshida said.

Yoshida said the extravagant purchase — about $370 per pound — went to a Hong Kong sushi bar owner and his Japanese competitor who reached a peaceful settlement to share the big fish. The Hong Kong buyer also paid the highest price at last year's new year event at Tokyo's Tsukiji market, the world's largest fish seller, which holds near-daily auctions.

It better be worth it for that price.

I live in Japan. Did you hear the one about the 10,000 dollar watermelon? We hear this stuff all the time. :LOL: if you go to their shop you've just bought the Porche of sashimi: you've just bought status as a customer.

Do you know Aobadai? It's on Den en toshi sen. :cool: (But) we get the cheap marugo over here.

You're in L.A.? I'm was born and raised there! Wanna trade passports? ;)

That's just insane, I could buy a small house here for that!! Oh wait, I did buy a small house here for that 9 years ago....

Sorry, I'm not familiar with Aobadai. I lived in the Honmoku area for 17 years.

And no, you don't want my passport. It's American.... :-p

I know that area, near Minato Mirai, deshoo. I live more on the boarder between Tokyo and Yokohama.

(and you haven't seen the picture in my passport :wacko: I'd happily trade you.) :ROFLMAO:

Hey roadfix, like the pic. But when in LA, my first choice is El Pollo Loco, then In-N-Out Burger. I would love a Loco in my Location.

I did have blue fin at "The Farm" in Beverly Hills a few years ago. It was very good, but not that good. Not sure what was the cost, expense acct on business trip.

Yeah, I can't believe the prices some of these local sushi joints charge, here in LA, regardless of location. Omakase tabs can easily run between $100 to $200 per person, not including drinks.

Loco is good. I have them at least once or twice a month. They're everywhere too and so much better than fried chicken, although I sometimes go to KFC.

:)

Dude, you should go deep into Compton for good friend chicken. I've forgotten the names of the little mom and pop restaurants but, man, it's part of that "soul food" tradition and uncommonly delicious. Getting shot to get it will only make you appreciate it more.

Question for you: has kaiten made it to LA? What do you call it there? My friends, here, want to translate it "conveyer belt sushi" but that just sounds so wrong. (lol)

Question for you: has kaiten made it to LA? What do you call it there? My friends, here, want to translate it "conveyer belt sushi" but that just sounds so wrong. (lol)

Actually, there are at least a couple of conveyer belt sushi joints in downtown LA that's been around for many years. I've been to one location in Little Tokyo a few times over the years. Sushi quality is so so but it's a fun and unique way to enjoy the food.

So they actually call it "conveyer belt sushi"? (lol)

I like kaiten, here, well enough -- there are actually some pretty good places. They've gotten high-tech. The plates are color coded for the price and they have this scanner that recognizes the colors and calculates your tab in one "beep".

Back
Top Bottom