Are any of you members of a csa?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CWS4322 said:
The cost of farming has gone up--fuel, seed costs, labor, feed, processing costs, (it costs $13 to have a duck processed here--to sell that duck as meat, it must be processed in a government-inspected facility), everything has gone up. I think farming is one of those industries that one does not make minimum wage for the number of hours one spends. It is a lifestyle choice, but not one that is going to make one a lot of money and it definitely is one that takes a lot of money to do--most school bus drivers were I live are farmers. The cows can get milked before one has to go to work.

Around here, most FM vendors are small farmers, not corporate farms. My friend does the FM and spends all of Friday getting ready--baking artisan breads, gathering eggs, picking, etc. We did the FM one year--it was a waste of time (not to mention, it was a LONG day because you have to pick in the a.m. and be ready at the FM at 9 a.m.). Also, one doesn't make a lot of $ after paying for the gas, the booth fee, and, the number of hours it takes to pick. Here in ON, things are regulated--if one cuts the tops off carrots, for example, those are processed and one has to do that in a commerical, inspected kitchen. I think the same rule applies if you wash the veggies. I am not allowed to sell my eggs--I don't have a grading license.

My friend that does the CSA sells with/without egg shares (she's in MN), she also sells raw milk. I think she also does 1/2 share for folks who aren't going to eat all the veggies. Her husband has a real job. I have heard people complain about how much stuff they get in their boxes...I've got my own CSA box on the table right now....

I'm definitely not saying that the products aren't worth the premium price, but you can easily see a price difference depending on the side of town that the market is located.

I've grown food, grew up with chickens, so I know what goes into producing this food, it has to be a labor of love, because it is a lot of work for the return you get.

Back
Top Bottom