Are People Driving Slower?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you find that people are driving slower now that gas prices are higher?

• Total voters

GB

Chief Eating Officer
Before the gas prices started to climb into the stratosphere it seemed that the average speed on the highways by me was about 75mph. As soon as the prices went up my wife and I made a very conscious effort to not go above the speed limit. We have cruise control on both cars and we have been using it all the time now. Last week I noticed that there were very few people going much faster than I was going (65mph) which is very rare. I was wondering if other people are driving slower to try to conserve fuel as well. This week, even though prices are still high, I have noticed people driving faster again. Was I just imagining that people slowed down? What you you observed in your towns and cities?

Here in So California, people drive faster than the posted mph (even though no matter what the posted speed is, you must keep up with the flow). If you drive more slowly (or even within the speed limit) here, people will try to run you off the road. Re saving gas...my understanding is the more you brake, the more gas you might be wasting. Freeway driving, you rarely brake. You might use up more gas on surface street driving, braking. Don't think driving slowly has anything to do with saving gas.

Last edited:
Yeah people here drive very very fast too Mish. I used to do about 80mph or so and I was constantly being passed by people doing 90 or 100.

You are right that braking uses gas faster than if you are not breaking, but the faster you drive the more gas you use. Try it for a week and you will see a HUGE difference. Drive the speed limit or better yet, drive under the speed limit and just watch how much longer a tank of gas lasts.

So this brings me to ask....if you are running out of gas....

a) do you drive faster to get to the gas station before you run out...get there quicker use more gas

or

b) do you drive slower to conserve the gas...you drive slower it'll take longer

Tanis, I would think it would depend on how fast you are driving. If you are down the street from the gas station then you are probably not hitting speeds that would affect how much gas you have one way or the other.

Here is a quote from a site I was on that talks about how to conserve gas.

The quote comes from This page

On the highway, more than 50% of the energy required to keep rolling is aimed at overcoming aerodynamic drag. As the pedal hits the metal, the aerodynamic drag and rolling resistance increase. That's why the 55-mph speed limit was clamped on the highways in the '70s. Above 55 mph, fuel economy takes a dive. So by cutting highway cruising speeds to 65 mph instead of 70 mph, gas is conserved. When you use overdrive gearing, the engine speed decreases, reducing both fuel consumption and engine wear. On the open highway, utilizing cruise control maintains a constant speed and can also help reduce fuel consumption.

Here is a quote from another Site.

Gas mileage decreases rapidly at speeds above 60 mph.

Each 5 mph you drive over 60 mph is like paying an additional $0.15 per gallon for gas.

hmmm is that the purpose of overdrive? I never got it!! Very interesting GB...thank you...now convert for me please

hehehe

First obvious, keep within the posted speed limits. Re saving gas, keep your car maintained, check fluids, brakes etc., etc., use the proper fuel/gas for your vehicle. Came across an article, I'll try to find again re keeping car maintained, saving gas etc. Will try to locate it again. I would never forgo safety (speed limit) to save gas. Always abide by rules mph etc. Safety comes first. btw, driving too slowly can cause accidents as well. Rule of thumb, use common sense, even when other drivers do not.

mish said:
btw, driving too slowly can cause accidents as well.
Yep very true. A lot of people do not know that there is a minimum speed limit as well as a maximum speed limit. On the highways in my state it is usually 45mph. I had a friend in high school who was very much a goody two shoes (I loved her dearly though) and would NEVER do anything wrong. Well the day she got her license she went out for a ride. No one ever thought Karen would get pulled over by the police, but sure enough she got pulled over and ticketed her very first day out for driving too slow :LOL:

OK to get back on topic...Have you noticed people driving slower than usual since gas prices went up?

GB said:
Have you noticed people driving slower than usual since gas prices went up?

Only if there's a drive-by shooting or the daily freeway police pursuits. Welcome to L.A. I wouldn't concern myself with how slowly people are driving to save gas. I would keep safety in mind first.

mish said:
Only if there's a drive-by shooting or the daily freeway police pursuits. Welcome to L.A.
LOL :)

mish said:
I wouldn't concern myself with how slowly people are driving to save gas. I would keep safety in mind first.
I of course keep safety in mind first. I am only asking this question as it is something I have noticed and thought it was an interesting study of how people are acting because of the rising costs of gas.

GB said:
LOL :)

I of course keep safety in mind first. I am only asking this question as it is something I have noticed and thought it was an interesting study of how people are acting because of the rising costs of gas.

Let's do a poll :LOL:

i.e. do you slow down because:

A. I was putting on my mascara & blush

B. Eating a Big Mac

C. Taking a meeting on my cell

D. Pre-occupied (don't ask)

E. Couldn't find my fav radio station

F. That guy next to me looks "Hot"

G. Couldn't see the exit cause the map blew in my face

H. I had decaf this morning, don't bug me

Last edited:
Nobody has slowed down here. We are all in such a hurry to get to where ever were going. And we have to get there one second before the other guy.

I just hate it when I'm going the speed limit or even a little over and some one passes me just to get one car a head. I just don't get it.

I havent really noticed at GB for I have no car to get to town......maybe once I get there Ill have a look see

I have to drive less than 10 miles to get to my job, and it's not highway driving. I put $25.00 worth of gas (at $2.799/gallon US) into my gas tank Tuesday last week. I still haven't run out of gas yet. It's not so much how fast I'm driving, it's just that I'm not going anywhere except to and from work. I also drive a route that has very few stoplights, so for the most part, it's a constant speed.

nobody here drives any faster or slower than they did before.
they drive more idiotically than before though

Back
Top Bottom