Are you a dog man or cat person?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I grew up on a "mini-farm." We had chickens, pigs, rabbits, guineas & a pony. We also had outside ( & inside dogs after we got rid of all the farm critters) hamsters, & outside cats with house privileges when parents were in a good mood. When I moved into an apartment I wasn't supposed to have pets. A parent brought a cute black kitten to school to tempt me. That's how I got my contraband cat, Cinder. I had her for 17 years (8 years in the apartment without complaint.) Then I got Simon, the most loving cat I've ever had. He loves to snuggle, plays fetch, sits up & begs for treats, catches treats that are tossed to him in his mouth or with his paws. He keeps me entertained.
I like dogs too, but they take more time & energy than I have right now. Maybe when I retire, if Simon can deal with it, I'd like to raise a support dog puppy. We'll see when the time comes.

thanks for the advice on dogs, cws and dawg.

i would never own a dog of any size if i still lived in tje city. even my suburban neighborhood isn't condusive to happy doggy life. that's why i mentioned i'll get a dog when i get a bigger house (and yard), preferrably near open fields and wooded areas. i'm not into scooping up hot poop!

also, a large part of the reason that i said that that i wanted a mutt was to avoid those aggressive instincts found in pure or near purebreds. and of course, i would check with the shelter to see which dogs were family and other pet friendly first.

Monday 13th August

Buon Giorno, Good Morning,

Thanks for the additional contributions and feedback Ladies & Gentlemen.

Lots of wise insight, advice and suggestions.

T.U.

Have a lovely August.
Margi.

One of the main reasons, we have never had a dog (as married couple), is the walking 2 or 3 times a day business, as we are skyscraper pavement dwellers, centre of large cosmopolitan city ...

It is an enormous responsibility to have a pet, no matter how large or tiny. You have to decide, Is this for me ? What if I have to travel or what if I get a temporary illness ?

One of the reasons, so many animals are put in shelters is that the people thought, wow, cute puppy or kitten, and 9 months later --- they are an adult animal with special needs ...

It is a true commitment ... and I believe one must honestly ask themselves, can I take on this responsibility for 16 to 20 years approximately ?

Best regards, Ciao,
Margi.

buckytom said:
thanks for the advice on dogs, cws and dawg.

i would never own a dog of any size if i still lived in tje city. even my suburban neighborhood isn't condusive to happy doggy life. that's why i mentioned i'll get a dog when i get a bigger house (and yard), preferrably near open fields and wooded areas. i'm not into scooping up hot poop!

also, a large part of the reason that i said that that i wanted a mutt was to avoid those aggressive instincts found in pure or near purebreds. and of course, i would check with the shelter to see which dogs were family and other pet friendly first.

If you live on a large enough bit of land, you can teach the dogs to poop far away from the house and hardly ever have to scoop it.

Margi Cintrano said:

One of the main reasons, we have never had a dog (as married couple), is the walking 2 or 3 times a day business, as we are skyscraper pavement dwellers, centre of large cosmopolitan city ...

It is an enormous responsibility to have a pet, no matter how large or tiny. You have to decide, Is this for me ? What if I have to travel or what if I get a temporary illness ?

One of the reasons, so many animals are put in shelters is that the people thought, wow, cute puppy or kitten, and 9 months later --- they are an adult animal with special needs ...

It is a true commitment ... and I believe one must honestly ask themselves, can I take on this responsibility for 16 to 20 years approximately ?

Best regards, Ciao,
Margi.

You are right. It is a commitment. I don't understand how someone can get a dog and then get rid of it. Just doesn't seem right. I know sometimes it is necessary if they bite and there are children, but only in an extreme case is it ok to ditch a doggie. Even then I could find someone else that wouldn't have children around.

<------------ Er...um... take a guess :LOL:

We actually have four, just don't tell the other three who my Avatar is or I'LL be in the dog house. :rolleyes:

Chopper: The World´s Shelters Are Loaded

Buon Giorno Chopper, Good Morning,

Thank you for your feedback and contribution ...

Yes, it is a real profound commitment ... There are uncountable cats and dogs in the world´s shelters, and it is a non fiction horror film ...

I have noticed in Madrid particularly, numerous elderly people have mixed crossed breeds and have had these canines for numerous years. It is a dog city ...

Cats on the otherhand, are a true cultural change for Spaniards.

On farms, Cats kill the rodents ... However, as a resident in one´s home, they had not been as popular with Spaniards ... This is all changing ...

Have a lovely August.
Margi.

Dave: Thanks for your contribution & feedback

Buon Giorno, Good Morning Dave,

Pleased to find your post this morning.

Appreciate your input.

Have a lovely August.
Margi.

BT--thanks for recognizing that having a dog doesn't fit with your lifestyle at this time. Dogs are a 10-15 year commitment--fun when they are young, difficult when they are old--like having a sr. parent.

When you are ready to get a dog (after you move to Green Acres), I would be more than happy to share with you what I know about different breeds. I'm not an expert, but I've had a lot of dogs and rehomed a lot of dogs--very few of which have had a return rate. I also am in contact with lots of dog rescue groups.

Snakes freak me out. I didn't even open the link.Just can't do it. I have 7 cats. 17 in the last 4 yrs. Don't be calling animal control! I had a barn cat show up with ribs showing about 4 yrs ago. I was making chinese fried rice at the time. So I gave her a bowl. 4 bowls later she decided I was the one. Never been a cat person. Am now. Long story short. Some died in birth, MIA, and 4 very good adoptions. I have 3 generations. I have had them all fixed. Four still act wild and might not show up for days. One is stand offish like a real cat. And two are trouble makers and keep things stirred up all the time. The cats have me...I don't have cats.

Karen,

Felines in general are highly intelligent. A cat can manage to survive on the alleys, as their hunter´s instinct assists them; a dog however, is questionable ... Dependent on man ...

Reptiles: most little boys are highly attracted to this species ...

Have nice day. Margi.

Karen,

Felines in general are highly intelligent. A cat can manage to survive on the alleys, as their hunter´s instinct assists them; a dog however, is questionable ... Dependent on man ...

Reptiles: most little boys are highly attracted to this species ...

Have nice day. Margi.

I assume you have never seen the Painted Dogs of the Australian outback? They are packs, and hunt with great cunning, and ability. Hell, even stray dogs seem to get by fine.

Any animal, in the absence of humans, can survive just fine. They were wild animals, before humans domesticated them.

Tatt,

Thanks for your feedback and information. I was referring to alley cats and dogs abandoned on the city streets ... I know there are many types of wild canine, wolves, dingos, coyotes etcetra ... however, we do not associate running into them, in skyscraper turf.

Kind regards.
Margi.

Domesticated stray dogs can do fine, though it's certainly not recommended. What would get them, as it would get stray cats, would likely be parasites, illness, fights, and cars. Domestic dogs, even when they're pets, have also been known to form packs for hunting.

Last edited:
Domesticated stray dogs can do fine, though it's certainly not recommended. What would get them, as it would get stray cats, would likely be parasites, illness, fights, and cars. Domestic dogs, even when they're pets, have also been known to form packs for hunting.

Exactly.

Another thing that would get 'em: Animal Control.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom