Are You a Peeker?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbara L

Traveling Welcome Wagon
Do you try to figure out what you are getting for Christmas (or birthdays, etc.)? If so, to what lengths will you go? For instance, do you just feel a package, do you shake and squeeze it, do you open it, or do you go searching through cupboards and closets before it is even wrapped?

I am not a peeker. I will look at the gifts and try to imagine what is in the package. Sometimes I will pick the package up. I do not, however, ever try to figure out what the gift is, as that would spoil it for me on Christmas (or birthdays). Even as a kid (teens anyway) my mom would just tell us not to look in her closet or in certain boxes or bags, and I was never even tempted. She even had me wrap some of my own gifts a year or two, since I loved wrapping and she didn't (they were in a box that was taped shut so that they couldn't be identified).

The funny thing is that I am, by nature, extremely curious (okay, nosy), but I have never had a problem waiting for Christmas to see what I got. I'll never forget my mom's story about carefully opening a gift from a boyfriend and then rewrapping it. She said that on Christmas she was kind of disappointed because she already knew what was inside.

So, are you a peeker or not?

:)Barbara

Last edited:
As a kid?? Ohhhhhhh yeaaaaaaaa.... tried to peak every chance I could!

As a bigger kid, naw stopped doing that, now I just wait until I can open them.

Maybe once or twice as a kid I opened a gift then wrapped it back --- Now I really don't care...It's about enjoying the gifts my family got...not about what I received.

I use to be so excited and impatient when I was little and would try to shake the box or get a peek if I could but I never unwrapped and rewrapped a present. I knew I would get busted for that!

Now, I have lots more patience but I still like to tear open the box or wrapping and find out what is inside especially when I know the person has put effort into trying to get me something that I would like.

Unfortunately, my brothers tend not to show much thought into gifts for our mom and she has gotten hurt. Things never fit, they buy her a book, or flowers that are going to die in a week, or food that she cannot eat. I am always having to exchange their gifts--if I can. Sometimes it is impossible. One of the worst presents? A pair of yoga socks that were too small. This for a woman in her 80s.

I peeked once as a kid and it ruined that years Christmas, so I never did it again. I don't have to peek as an adult, hubby alway tells me what he's getting me. Not very much fun,but oh well. His whole family is like that, his sister told the whole family we were engaged within an hour of him buying the ring. Also told the whole family I was in labor before I made it to the hospital. She is now the last to find out anything.

I peeked once as a kid and it ruined that years Christmas, so I never did it again. I don't have to peek as an adult, hubby alway tells me what he's getting me. Not very much fun,but oh well. His whole family is like that, his sister told the whole family we were engaged within an hour of him buying the ring. Also told the whole family I was in labor before I made it to the hospital. She is now the last to find out anything.

I am sorry, but...

:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Mav- I laugh about it now, but at 19 I was very upset that we were not the ones to share the news.
As for my hubby I think he's the one that can't stand the suspense so he tells me.

Not anymore. But as kids oh yeah. As a mtter of fact I had my sister do the peeking for me since she was much sneakier about it.

Mav- I laugh about it now, but at 19 I was very upset that we were not the ones to share the news.
As for my hubby I think he's the one that can't stand the suspense so he tells me.

Oh believe me I would be hoppin mad, but reading it the way you typed it I just couldn't help myself. One of those things were at the time there was nothing funny about it, but looking back you can laugh at it.

lol.. not a peeker but I beg Paul to tell me what's "in that Box" about a million times before I open it...

but to be fair to ME... I also beg him to let me tell him what I've given him. I'm so excited by GIVING that I hate to wait!!!!

When I was a kid, I knew everything, not only what I got but what my siblings were getting, before Christmas morning........I think my mother was ready to kill me! And now that I think of it, it took the fun out of Christmas morning. Now I wait patiently, it is more fun to visualize what is in each package than knowing!

I used to be a peeker, but now I enjoy the anticipation of waiting until the big day. As I mentioned in another thread my dog is the peeker in the house now. I caught him last night searching the closet where his presents are hidden. He actually took a couple out of the bag (a tennis ball and some treats). I have actually found corners torn on presents where he has nibbled. We don't dare leave him in the house alone around Christmas.

As a kid... I went to great lengths!!! My mom even got crafty enough one year to go as far as numbering the gifts so I could not tell who was whos. Still did not stop me from trying to figure out what was in them.

My routine as a kid was to inspect gifts hidden in the closet daily! Shake, listen, filp, see if there were any compromised tape/paper that I could take advantage of. Pressing the paper against the box to see if you could read through it.... I think I had at least 90% of my stuff figured out by the time Christmas came around. I'm sure if drove my mother bonkers!

As a kid... I went to great lengths!!! My mom even got crafty enough one year to go as far as numbering the gifts so I could not tell who was whos. Still did not stop me from trying to figure out what was in them.

My routine as a kid was to inspect gifts hidden in the closet daily! Shake, listen, filp, see if there were any compromised tape/paper that I could take advantage of. Pressing the paper against the box to see if you could read through it.... I think I had at least 90% of my stuff figured out by the time Christmas came around. I'm sure if drove my mother bonkers!

rotflol!!!!!

Sattie- I can just see you as a girl sneaking into the closet quiet as a mouse, picking up every present then putting them back just the way you found them, then sneaking back out (giggling all the way of course) and noone was the wiser. You are such a riot!!!!

Sattie- I can just see you as a girl sneaking into the closet quiet as a mouse, picking up every present then putting them back just the way you found them, then sneaking back out (giggling all the way of course) and noone was the wiser. You are such a riot!!!!

Oh yea... and getting the gifts back in the same spot I found them was KEY!!! I think that was some of the best childhood memories!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom