Arggghhh - I Can't Believe The Idiocy - "Hallmark" Frogs!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BreezyCooking

Washing Up
Popped into Hallmark in Warrenton, VA, to pick up a "Fathers Day" card from the furred & feathered "gang" to Mr. B., who does so much to ensure their health & welfare (card will accompany the new Neil Young "Archives Volume 1" huge DVD set that just came out - if anyone deserves it, it's Mr. B.
smile.gif
).

So as I'm standing in line, what do I see but a big display of tiny little plastic cubes with "things" moving in them. I leave my place in line to investigate - I mean, this is a CARD store I'm in - & find that they're selling enclosed plastic cubes containing some gravel, a stupid little cutting of "Lucky Bamboo" (which is actually a non-aquatic Dracaena plant), a snail or two, & TWO poor little baby African Clawed Frogs. Big sign over the display entices buyers with the claim that this is an "enclosed" instructional biological system!!! I was mere seconds from turning into the nightly news by going ballistic, but restrained myself.

Instead, I promptly e-mailed Hallmark corporate & asked them, as politely as possible, wtf are they thinking???? In a world where, finally, we're getting more & more folks to THINK about animal abuse (even little guys like frogs), they're incarcerating tiny frogs in plastic cubes in CARD SHOPS as impulse gifts?? I asked them if they were aware that these frogs required aquariums, filters, & FOOD!! That even with proper food they could NOT live in an enclosed uncontrolled 6" x 8" plastic environment on snail excrement. I ended by saying that come Monday I'd be contacting our local Humane Society & local newspapers (not that they give a **** - but figured anyone might cringe from possible bad publicity).

Okay, granted, this isn't child abuse, or horse abuse, or dog/cat abuse - but really. I thought the life of a jarred Betta fish was bad & that many stores were starting to steer away from that. This is such a big step backwards & it really pissed me off.

If your local Hallmark store is participating in this recent promotion, please think about making a comment when you check out, or think about e-mailing corporate as I did. This is truly wrong in so many ways beyond the initial purchase. :(

did the signing suggest this was hallmark promo? most hallmarks are owned by other people, not hallmark. the buyer for the store and or the manager, buy a lot of their own stuff from other vendors. hallmark should reply to you. how do i know. i managed a large hallmark near san luis obispo. never would have something like this in my store.

Frankly, Babetoo, I don't remember. I was just so shocked & angry, I just wanted to get out of there.

But when I e-mailed corporate, I did give them the store name, so at least that's something if it truly is just an individual store thing.

****! If I didn't (sort of) know you, Breezy, I wouldn't believe it.

I hope you do follow through with the ASPCA and the local news.

Sic PETA on them! This is a lot worse than someone throwing around a dead fish or the president swatting a fly.

This reminds me of the story (I forget the actual details) about the keychains that had goldfish inside them. It was the same sort of thing. They were completely enclosed with no way to feed them or change the water or anything. There was a huge outrage and the practice was stopped right away. I hope the same thing happens with these frogs.

Luckily, it did look like the tops came off, but there were no perforations to allow air-water exchange. And while I did not take the time to "read" the cubes, the huge display poster showed a big "cycle of life" which quite obviously was intended to make the purchaser believe that the whole thing was completely self-contained & carefree in every way.

Can you imagine how FILTHY those 6" x 8" plastic cubes will be in a very short time with two frogs apiece living in them? Not to mention that well-cared-for African Clawed Frogs can reach between 3"-4" in length at maturity. Not that any of these poor things have a snowball's chance in heck of living long enough to actually grow!!

Back
Top Bottom