Arrogance of Youth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
another one I heard (don`t remember where) was something like: "Kids, Leave home now, while you still know evereything!"

Alix;
Your post is so true of some youth. But like every demographic, todays youth is composed of a mixed bag, with some being completely rude and self-centered, while others are genuininely wonderful people, albeit inexperienced in this world.

My generation, and the preceding ones made some serious mistakes due to inexperience, and are now reaping the whirlwind because of them. We overfished the oceans, poluted the land, air, and seas, created an society where family values are less important, etc. We also made great strides in harnessing energy, technical sciences, medicine, and many other venues.

The advantage that yout has is that it can look at the past (if it has the sense, which is often times lacking in the overly energetic and exuberant young adult) and see the mistakes made by the previous generations, and the successes as well, and then try to improve upon what has gone before.

I think the great mistake made by societies is that they live too much in the present and don't look seriously at either the past or future. And money is far too important. It has no intrinsic value in and of itself, only the artificial value we give to it. You can't eat it, or wear it, and it doesn't clean you house. But by amassing it, we believe we can purchase the "better" things in life. And too many people don't understand that the better things in life are quality relationships with first, our families, then with our immediate neighbors, and then with humanity and the world upon which we live.

I sometimes think that the world would be far better if we were born into the world old and frail, and become more youthful as we gain life experience, so that the tremendous energy could be more wisely exerted.

I have learned much in my 50 years of life, and try to give that experience to my children, now that they are young adults and taking on the world. It's the best thing I can do for them.

Yes, the teen and early adulthood years are difficult for those of us who have been there and survived. But those same individuals, at least most of them, get past that stage of brain-damage, to become valuable citizens and family members. And I see the beginnings of greatness in this next generation, who as every new generation does, is throwing off what they see as irrelevant, dangerous, and wastefull in our generation, to create a new, better world.

Though evil is more apparent in our world, so is the number of youth who reject old mistakes, and who are striving to do what is right. That young man in the story lacked humility. The old man had the wisdom obtained by living through history, and rightly challenged his adversary to do something grand for humanity.

For us who have been around a while, let us all challenge our children, and grandchildren (don't have any of those yet) to be better than we were. For the youth of today, use that extraordinary energy you have to throw off those artificial values that come from wanting what we want right now, with no thought to future consequences, and take a measured eye to the future, and take the necessary steps to make the world a great place on which to live.

I'll get off of my soapbox now.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I enjoyed your story Alix. It brought a big smile to my face and I felt no urge to lecture you.

Andy M. said:
I enjoyed your story Alix. It brought a big smile to my face and I felt no urge to lecture you.

:blush: Yeh, I do tend to go on. Sorry 'bout that. You should hear my what my kids have to say about "the old man's lectures". It's a curse, but comes from the heart. I just get frustrated sometimes with the way things are, rather than the world as I think it could be.

Alix, if I didn't say it before, that was a great post.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Alix said:
A very self-important college freshman attending a recent football game, took it upon himself to explain to a senior citizen sitting next to him why it was impossible for the older generation to understand his generation.
"You grew up in a different world, actually an almost primitive one,"the student said, loud enough for many of those nearby to hear.
"The young people of today grew up with television, jet planes, space travel, man walking on the moon, our spaceships have visited Mars. We have nuclear energy, electric and hydrogen cars, computers with light-speed processing....and," pausing to take another drink of beer......
The Senior took advantage of the break in the student's litany and said, "You're right, son. We didn't have those things when we were young........so we invented them. Now, what are you doing for the next generation?"

they both sound like fools engaging in a pissing contest.

but it was a clever pissin' match. they'd only be fools if they didn't listen to each other.

good post alix. karma coming your way (relax ken, i'll karma one of your posts as well :) )

Back
Top Bottom