Arrogance of Youth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
A very self-important college freshman attending a recent football game, took it upon himself to explain to a senior citizen sitting next to him why it was impossible for the older generation to understand his generation.
"You grew up in a different world, actually an almost primitive one,"the student said, loud enough for many of those nearby to hear.
"The young people of today grew up with television, jet planes, space travel, man walking on the moon, our spaceships have visited Mars. We have nuclear energy, electric and hydrogen cars, computers with light-speed processing....and," pausing to take another drink of beer......
The Senior took advantage of the break in the student's litany and said, "You're right, son. We didn't have those things when we were young........so we invented them. Now, what are you doing for the next generation?"

The next time some young person lectures you about how us older folks have ruined the planet, kindly direct them to cleaning up their rooms.

Great one, Alix.

Believe me, I deal with teenagers/early twenties all day long. 'Nuff said. :rolleyes:

I agree with Alix and the rest of you. But, let us not forget, this present generation is our making. Their faults, are the fault we allowed to happen. I don't mean to be negative or depressing, just realistic. There is burden to bare by us, the previous generation.

Last edited:
I have a cartoon taped to the door of this room..It use to be my #2 sons room.He is now 34 and the cartoon is yellow with age. It reads:

" she threw such a tantrum, I had to clean my room just to stop her"

( two little boys talking to eac other)
:cool:

MarionW said:
I agree with Alix and the rest of you. But, let us not forget, this present generation is our making. Their faults, are the fault we allowed to happen. I don't mean to be negative or depressing, just realistic. There is burden to bare by us, the previous generation.

As Al Capp said, "Today's younger generation is no worse than my own. We were just as ignorant and repulsive as they are, but no one listened to us."

And, BTW, Mr. Capp was speaking specifically about MY generation!

Fortunately, as Dorothy Fuldheim observed, "Youth is a disease from which we all recover."

That brings to mind a discertation written about young people saying that the world was going to hades in a handbasket because all young people were lazy, lacked ambition, had no respect for their elders, etc.
It was written by Socrates. (I'm pretty sure it was Socrates...definately one of those old Greek dudes.)

I find it interesting, now that I am almost 60, the number of young people who tell my husband and I that we are "really cool".
Thing being, I remember thinking that about certain older people when I was their age.

Oops. I appear to have hit a nerve. My apologies if anyone is upset.

Folks, reread the first sentence describing the young man. He is not being nice, and deserves what he gets. Frankly, I consider myself young and this is more a reminder to me how I should behave.

Alix said:
Oops. I appear to have hit a nerve. My apologies if anyone is upset.

Folks, reread the first sentence describing the young man. He is not being nice, and deserves what he gets. Frankly, I consider myself young and this is more a reminder to me how I should behave.

No need to apologize! I think the nerve you hit was connected to our collective funny bone.

Besides, one day you'll be an old coot, too, I hope, and then you can ***** and moan about the new generation. As Logan Pearsall Smith noted, "The denunciation of the young is a necessary part of the hygiene of older people, and greatly assists the circulation of the blood." :LOL:

Thanks FryBoy. I'm glad you weren't offended.

I think there were at least a couple of folks who didn't find this as amusing as I did though!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom