As Time Goes By

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I remember embracing the introduction of FM radio because it was "commercial free".

I remember thinking my friend was crazy because he said he thought cassette tapes would replace 8-Tracks.

I remember when we had records that were 78 rpm. Okay, I remember when we had records, period.

I remember when you could pull into a gas station and someone actually put the gas in your car for you! And, if you said "Give me 5" and they asked if you meant gallons or dollars (and you were in a VW bug) you looked at them like they were crazy (a VW wouldn't hold 25 gallons!).

I remember when I had to trade in my Buick Skylark GS convertable for a Ford Pinto Station Wagon because gas jumped up to 35-cents/gallon.

I remember when we had affordable American made cars before Ralph Nadar - and even more fuel efficient affordable British cars.

I remember when cars had "steel" bumpers that actually protected you - not plastic "looks pretty" crap that doesn't do anything.

I remember when you could work on your car with a few wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers - without a $20,000 computer.

I remember when the vocal track on a song was louder than the band. And, singers sang - they didn't scream unintelligibly.

I remember when music lyrics delt with love - not degrading people, or promoting hate.

I remember when Mom could kiss my boo-boo and make all the pain go away.

I remember when I thought I knew more than my Dad.

Last edited:
Well, I can beat you all. We didn't get a TV until I was in the first grade, and we were the first family on our street to have one. We only had one channel, and it didn't always come in that well.

Ugggg. Now I feel olddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd.

And I can relate to some of Michael said, I do remember records and my first stereo 'system' had two huge speakers in wooden boxes and a center stand, all about 4ft tall. It was cool because the speakers could be placed as far as 5ft away from the center console giving you a true 'stereo' sound experience. It had the cool new 'dual tape decks' with 'high speed dubbin', AM/FM radio, the ability to tape off the radio, and on top a record player! And maybe I should go down in the basement and take a picture of it for ya'll cause yea I got it when I was 14, am now 35, and it still works fine. I play records on it all the time.
And yea, I remember how easy it was to work on engines in high school, I got myself a complete tool kit which meant a full set of metric and standard wrenchs as well as a full set of metric and standard sockets in 1/4 inch drive, 3/8 inch drive, and 1/2 inch drive. The only specialty tools I had were a spark plug wrench, a torque wrench, and a special wrench for taking the oil filter off.
I have a 1978 Cadillac Sedan DeVille DeEligance, dark green with mint green landau top and dark green interior. I could fit several people in the trunk alone, it has an 8-track player and I have the 8-tracks to play on it, about 12 I think. It has all kinds of cool little gadgets and features that I can only find on the high end imports even to this day. Think electric everything, a climate control where you set the temp not the level, lights on the front fender that lit up when your headlights were on, and blinked when your turn signal was on, telescoping and adjustable steering wheel, locking hub caps, and lights on the inside top of the roof that you could see in the rear view mirror that lit up when you hit the brake, stayed on when your lights were on, and blinked when your turn signal was on. Oh, and don't forget the electric trunk release that not only popped open the trunk at the push of a button but when you closed it you just gently pushed it down as the motor grabbed it and closed it the rest of the way for you. Oh, and when it popped open, it popped ALL the way open, not just released.

To top it all off, I still have 35mm film I need to have developed but probably won't as it is about 10 years old...

I'm not terribly excited about HD TV... because I remember when the channel
quality was defined by how much snow there was or was not, and as long as
you could hear the sound, well.....

and I remember when $20 was all I needed for a date, including gas for the car.

****, and Im under 50! LOL

I can still remember when smokes were ....10 cents a pack and gas was .25 cents a gal
and a big cut of prime rib was $3.50 with potato and sides. I agree with michel in FW about the music I still listen to the 50,60, rock and roll. as kid we read books for entertainment.. Now when I see some body rocking on the porch I know they are thinking about times past. ,I think we lived better then. How many remember Sputnik?
I was in my senior history class when the teacher had it on radio

Back
Top Bottom