At what point do I go see the Dr. (flu)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angie

Head Chef
Parden the language..since this is food forum, but I can't keep mine down.

Since Saturday I've been bringing it back up and have lost 5 pounds. Yesterday I didn't have an incident. Today I went back to work, queezy. Around 4pm it started again and left work an hour early. I've been very tired and have had bouts of hiccups along with this.

I'm not one who gets the stomach flu...or if I do, it's the other end. I HATE going to the Dr (waste of time), and what in the heck can they do anyway?

OH---BTW, I always thought broth was broth...then I went from Swanson's to store brand and WOW there was a difference. Swanson's in much better!

Well, with a stomach type flu they CAN give you something to make you quit throwing up. If not, I would definitely go. I never go to the doctor when I have the flu as I know in about 5 days I will stop the fever and all the other stuff. 5# is about right to be down if it really is the flu.

Are you running a fever too? Achy?

Since Saturday? If you aren't getting any better today I would say definately go and see your doctor. You never know if it could be something else with flu-like symptoms, especially if you don't normally get the flu in the way you are describing.

Seph - yea, I normally just run a fever for 5 days - it's been a long time since I've had a stomach flu.

Dumb question - isn't it the wrong time of year for the flu?

OK - it looks like you need to go to the doctor after reading the link that Mav posted. "Stomach flu" can be some bad stuff that you should see a doctor about.

Last edited:
Nothing else is happening...just the vomiting and tiredness and hiccups. No aches, no fever....and no, I'm not pregnant. I took a test today just in case!

Go to the doctor now. You should consider that what you have is not stomach flu but food poisoning. If this has been going on for days, you run the risk of dehydration and loss of electrolytes. Go to the doctor now.

Andy M is spot on!!!! Dehydration is not a fun thing to overcome. I got terribly dehydrated on a 100-mile bike ride once - took me 2 weeks to get over it (one solid week in bed barely able to roll over) because I was too out of it to realize I needed to go to the doctor and EX-husband was less than a help.

Seriously? Food poisoning? Wow. I never thought....No place is open other than the ER so I'll go first thing in the morning. Thanks!

:) A stomach flu should only last about 24 hours this sound more like food poisoning make sure it's not the salmonella that has been going around all around the country.

It could be food poisoning, it could be anything - there are alot of things that include your symptoms. If it persisted more than 3 days you need to go to the doctor, because after 3 days you start getting dehydrated and your body starts starving itself. Glad to hear you're going tomorrow!

I don't like tomatoes, so it can't be that...and DH has had a little bit of ickiness but only about 2 days worth....he's always been an up-chucker anyway.

No cramps, no diarrhea, no fever. Just nausea, vomiting, tiredness and hiccuping shortly after I vomit.

Have you been camping? Drinking from a stream? Anything like that recently?

Nope, nope and nope. We've had the horrible flooding in Cedar Rapids, but I have stayed away from any of that area. I'm in Marion (connected to Cedar Rapids) and we haven't had a boil order or anything, plus we drink bottled water.

Angie have you tried Emetrol for the nausea ? You can find it in any drug store.
Works like a charm for me after the second or third dose.

Middie, never heard of it! I'll look it up.

DH thinks that food poisoning would already be out of my system...???

That WebMD link contains a lot of answers to questions you are asking.... as well as more accurate information and symptom listings.

Back
Top Bottom