Baby's first cooking class!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
OK, so 3 months is early to start encouraging Sofie's love of cooking, but DH was supposed to watch her this AM so I could go to a home-made baby food class. He had to work last minute so I figured I'd take her along--she loves to watch us eat and me make food so why not? She went nuts! She just stared at the chef-instructor and all of the food she held up in awe. She smiled and was a perfectly behaved baby (!) and then dozed off in my arms for the last 45 minutes.

We have a couple more months until we introduce solids, but I think we have another foodie in the making!:chef:

Very Cute PA! Did you learn anything good in the class? dh just bought me a food processor, so I figure whatever we have for dinner I'd just throw some in the food processor for Callum too. I did the jarred baby food with Aidan and I have to say the peas just didn't taste like peas.:LOL:
Give that growing girl a snuggle for me and I will do likewise with my boys.

I did learn some interesting things, including what foods to introduce each month, different combinations of foods, that sort of thing. We also got some recipes for some infant/toddler snacks (that were actually yummy to me, too!). I'll make a copy of the packet and send it to you (it just may take a few days).

Another great resource is The Family Nutrition Book by William Sears, MD. I've found several of his books very helpful!

PA Baker said:
OK, so 3 months is early to start encouraging Sofie's love of cooking, but DH was supposed to watch her this AM so I could go to a home-made baby food class. He had to work last minute so I figured I'd take her along--she loves to watch us eat and me make food so why not? She went nuts! She just stared at the chef-instructor and all of the food she held up in awe. She smiled and was a perfectly behaved baby (!) and then dozed off in my arms for the last 45 minutes.

We have a couple more months until we introduce solids, but I think we have another foodie in the making!:chef:
How wonderful Pa..I think we have a little piggy in out midst and I can't wait for her to start enjoying our sunday dinners..Olivia weighed 5 7 at birth and is now at a month 8 lbs., She was so fussy and wanting to eat so often the doc and I talked and she is now gulping down rice ceral..She is just like my first one at almost 10 lbs, at birth, formula was just not enough .He cried, we rocked, he cried we fed him, a half hour later we were wlking, feeding, doc said applesauce and cereal this was at 2 weeks old..I know it sounds odd, but he is now six foot 2 and a slim 180, but boy can he eat:ROFLMAO: And Olivia is now happy and sleeping when she should and eating as she should..

kadesma:LOL: Kids what can ya do...

I'm glad Olivia's doing so well, kads! Each one is so different & w/ different needs--amazing, isn't it?! Sof is a bit over 12 lbs and about 24" now. She just had a growth spurt& was nursing every 1.5 hours. Thank heavens that's over! As long as they're health & happy, that's all that matters, right?!

Corazon, I love The Baby Book! His Fussy Baby Book has be en my best friend the last couple months! Let me know how you like the nutrition one!

I think the class you did sounds wonderful! I always cooked for my girls right from the get go, and they ate so well and were healthy and happy babies. I know what you mean about starting solids a little early. My youngest, Jessica was just over 10 lbs at birth (I was almost a month overdue)...and seemed to always be hungry. My mom/mil/gran/sister & aunties all said to just give her some rice cereal, or make a watery oats porridge, strain off the solid oats & feed that with her milk. Then we started on gem squash, which in South Africa looks a lot like acorn squash but is softer and when cooked, tastes more like zuchini. It has no acids in it and apparently babies digest it easily. This was at about 3 months. She slept beautifully after that. She's now 17, tall and slender. How much fun it all was.

Just put the nutrition book on hold at the library. Also, I'll be checking out the successful child and the discipline book (uh-oh). Just want to hear his views on these things. My favorite part is learning about your childs developement. www.askdrsears.com you can sign up for a newsletter, I've been on it since we had Aidan.

Good for you PA - I nursed my son til 9 months old -exclusively. After that, in addition to nursing I introduced fruits and veggies that I prepared myself. I never heard of a class like you attended, that is really nice. Looks like you will have some help in the kitchen!

Back
Top Bottom