Back from Vacation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
Our annual pilgrimage to Aruba has sadly come to an end.

Two weeks of perfect weather, good friends and family, great restaurants and no responsibilities has all been replaced by sub-freezing temperatures, 10-hour days of infant care and a Valentine Day snow storm. Yippee!

Not much has changed since our last visit. It was a little quieter and less crowded.

We had a Super Bowl party with about a dozen friends on the 4th. A local jeweler brought his 42” wide screen for the game (one of our friends buys a lot of jewelry). We set it up on the deck by the pool. We had wings, poppers, brats, sausages, guacamole, burgers, hot dogs, potato salad and various and sundry beverages.

Cooking at the timeshare is always and adventure. I bring my own knives but the rest is pretty low budget. A rickety old electric stove, thin stainless steel pots and a couple of thin Teflon pans that have warped. The cooking utensils are all flimsy plastic that bend when you try to use them.

We ate in more this year to save some bucks. However, we did visit our favorite restaurant, Hostaria Da Vittorio, a great Italian restaurant that serves the best osso buco with risotto Milanese! We also did a dinner show that was a tenderloin dinner and a Latin musical review.

We celebrated a daughter’s birthday at a seafood restaurant, Pincho’s, on a pier with an outdoor table that gave us a bird’s eye view of the sunset over the water.

We did the usual walking on the beach, swimming and sunning stuff. Boring to talk about. I read a bunch of cooking magazines (see earlier thread on the outrageous cost of magazines).

So we left Aruba on Sunday, fatter, browner, and more mellow. The mellow is disappearing rather quickly, the brown will last longer but the fat is here to stay.

I’ll post some pics when I can.

Welcome back Andy!! I know the ending of a wonderful holiday is a major bummer, but I am glad you had a grand time, try to hang on to that mellowness as long as you can!!
We have done some adventurous cooking while camping with some threadbare equipments, but also learned how much we can do with them with a little bit of immagination and enthusiasm, plus local fresh products! Good knives are always handy, but always resist the temptation to guard them with you among your carry-on baggage... I would want you to have your holiday in a planned destination:LOL:

Now have a sip of pina colada and rekindle the memories, we will be looking forward to get a glimpse of your fab trip in your pics!!:)

Sorry the wonderful vacation is over but we are so happy to have you back! :LOL:

Sounds perfect!!! There's nothing better the sand and sun IMO. Hope you bask in the sun a little while longer!

Nice pictures Andy. It has been so miserably cold here in Chicago that a tropical vacation sounds heavenly right about now. I wish money and time were of no significance and I could spend my entire winter in a warm place.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom