Baking terms and grammar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJoel

Executive Chef
This is very confusing, and I “knead” to get it straight (pause for groan).

Dough rises. But do you rise the dough, raise the dough, prove the dough, or proof the dough? Like, if someone calls and asks you to lunch, do you tell her “Love to, but I’m rising my dough.” It sounds a bit backwoods. Or “Can’t right now, I’ve put some dough up to rise.” You put jam up to can, right? Do you put dough up to rise?

“Rise” only seems to work passively, “the dough is rising.” I don’t think you can “rise” or “raise” dough; the yeast does that. So I prefer “proof.” But is it “proof” or “prove?”

Such linguistic conundrums!

Last edited:
Thank you medtran. It grates my nerves to hear people say "prove".

Next up on the list...

Tablespoon in a recipe is Tbsp (preferred) or T (sorta acceptable) - but it must be capitalized.

teaspoon in a recipe is tsp (preferred) or t (sorta acceptable) - but again, always lowercase.

suivant?

This how I abbreviate:
TBSP. = Tablespoon
tsp. = teaspoon

...Tablespoon in a recipe is Tbsp (preferred) or T (sorta acceptable) - but it must be capitalized.

teaspoon in a recipe is tsp (preferred) or t (sorta acceptable) - but again, always lowercase.

suivant?

This how I abbreviate:
TBSP. = Tablespoon
tsp. = teaspoon

My standard recipe format used "T" and 't'. I was writing for me and I knew what these meant. Then SO got involved and complained so now I use 'Tb' and 'tsp'. Works for us.

funny how we all use a capital T
Not I [emoji38]

tbsp.
tsp.

This is a matter of style (what someone chooses), not a matter of grammar, like the initial example. The terms are in the middle of the instruction, so I don't see a need to capitalize them.

Last edited:
I use the abbreviations in the ingredients list but spell the words out in the instructions. However I rarely, if ever, mention amounts in the instructions.

Back
Top Bottom