Bee population dying off?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LEFSElover

Executive Chef
don't know if anyone else saw a Fox news blurb about 4 weeks ago but they were saying 1/4 of the nations bees are dying off and there is no reason they know of. I have so many dead bees in my front porch. been noticing it for many months. dh thought it was the anti mold treatment he put into the water feature in the front yard, that maybe the bees got a drink or something, but then I remembered I saw them dead on the front patio way way before the water feature.

Fox said something about ''how will our crops in the nation get pollinated if the bees aren't around to do that''.

just got me to thinking about the subject, that's all...​

Jeekinz said:
Pollination occurs many ways, not just from bees.
This is true, but bees are a major pollinator. Different plants are pollinated by different insects, animals, wind, etc. I'm not an expert, but I would think that losing too many bees would cause some problems.

:ohmy: Barbara

LEFSElover said:
don't know if anyone else saw a Fox news blurb about 4 weeks ago but they were saying 1/4 of the nations bees are dying off and there is no reason they know of. I have so many dead bees in my front porch. been noticing it for many months. dh thought it was the anti mold treatment he put into the water feature in the front yard, that maybe the bees got a drink or something, but then I remembered I saw them dead on the front patio way way before the water feature.

Fox said something about ''how will our crops in the nation get pollinated if the bees aren't around to do that''.

just got me to thinking about the subject, that's all...​

This was first reported last winter. Here are a couple of articles on it (there are lots more):
Dying bees | Buzz off | Economist.com

Mysterious honeybee deaths drive honey prices higher - Mar. 29, 2007

Actually it was reported much before last winter. I have been hearing about this for a number of years now. It just seems that this year it got a lot more face time on the news for some reason. I recently heard that they found out the reason. I do not remember exactly what it was, but I believe it was a disease of some sort.

GB said:
Actually it was reported much before last winter. I have been hearing about this for a number of years now. It just seems that this year it got a lot more face time on the news for some reason. I recently heard that they found out the reason. I do not remember exactly what it was, but I believe it was a disease of some sort.
One of the stories I listed said it started in November 2006, so I was just repeating that :) I also gathered that this has happened before; this is currently the most recent episode, and maybe the most serious. They call it colony collapse disorder.

We are living in a world were we have genetically modified crops and the high potent chemicals to keep the survival of the plants and crop, only to fame the name of the agro giants in the world map. Tomorrow they can market artificial honey to our next generations if the bees are dead. They can sell lot of lab made plants for our garden because there will be no pollination without bees. Moreover at last they can take us to the old slavery-Old wine in a new bottle.

yeah, I live in the "liveable forest" in Houston and certainly have noticed the decimation of the bee population that used to visit my garden and I DON"T use chemicals---I used to have so many bees visiting my flowers in the afternoon that my children's friends were afraid to come to the front door---then I taught them to just close their eyes and most of them did

I wish. I really don't know, since my husband is deadly allergic. So I don't differentiate a honey bee from a wasp from a yellow jacket, etc. If he gets stung once again, he will propably die. So they are all enemies. Yes, we know that they are necessary to life and love, but I cannot have them in my life unless I want to sacrifice my husband. After 25 years, yes, I still prefer my husband to a bug.

Pollination occurs many ways, not just from bees.

but it's one of the most important ones....
canola farmers do really get a problem without bees...
her in G there are beekeepers that travel around the country with the bees just to get the canola pollinated...
without that the crop would be much less....

Yes, you are correct. There has been a major problem with bees for many years. In fact, one political "leader" made it a part of his campain speech that Americans taxpayers were being abused by foolish scientific programs, such as studying bees that were dying.

The cause of the predicament is a tiny parasite called a mite. They have become a significant problem and steps have been taken to avoid contamination of healthy hives by mite infected hives.

Bees are the primary source of pollination for most of our grains and flowers in this nation. True, some plants are self-pollinating, such as corn. But the great majoriy of fruiting plants, including all fruit trees, veggies (notice the blossoms on veggie plants?), and most grains rely on bee pollinization. Agricultural bee-keeping is big buisness. Farmes of various crops purchase bees and have them transported to their areas to insure pollination. Wasps and other naturally occuring insects that eat such things as mites, and plant-attacing critters such as aphids, tomato worms, catipillars, etc., are also big buisness in this nation.

It's amazing to me that the public is so uninformed about creatures we rely on to sustain our own needs. If the bees are wiped out, then methods will have to be created to mechanically pollinize crops, be it cherry orchards, or plots of green beans.

Yes, in an effort to make our lives more comfortable, we are often sacrificing parts of nature that are required for our future survival. Persnonally, when I find a nest of honey bees, bumble bees, wasps, or hornets on my property, I let everyone know where the nests are, and protect them from my neighbors who would destroy them as nuisance insects. I only destry the nests if they pose an obvious threat, and then, I knock them down until the targeted insect decides to move its nest making operation somewhere else. I don't kill them with insect sprays. I encourage others to do the same. But you'd better knwo what you are doing when using this approach. I'm fortunate enoough not to be alergic to anything, but the stings still hurt a lot if you're careless enough to get stung. I know this far too well from numerous experiences.

Seeeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North.

Last edited:
goodweed,

the varroa mite is not the problem in most of the empty beehives...
they do not find any sign of them there...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom