Benefits of knowing real Spanish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Think of all the countries that speak Spanish and how wonderful it would be to visit already knowing the language.
Also if you know one Latin language, it helps a bit in understanding other Latin tongues - French, Portuguese and Italian.
And being bilingual can open up job opportunities for you where a second language is needed.
And finally, since so few Americans speak another language, unlike the rest of the world, it would add to your value and standing as a citizen of the planet.
Oh yeah - one other benefit. You could understand recipes written in Spanish!

Think of all the countries that speak Spanish and how wonderful it would be to visit already knowing the language.
Also if you know one Latin language, it helps a bit in understanding other Latin tongues - French, Portuguese and Italian.
And being bilingual can open up job opportunities for you where a second language is needed.
And finally, since so few Americans speak another language, unlike the rest of the world, it would add to your value and standing as a citizen of the planet.
Oh yeah - one other benefit. You could understand recipes written in Spanish!
I'm defently keeping inductory Spanish 1 then.

Yeah I know I will have to re learn the story about jack and jill went up the hill, and the cow jumped over the moon but in Spanish.

Bilingual employees are often paid a bonus, and the ability to speak a second language makes it easier to get some jobs.

Muy bien, Chile Chef! Buena Suerte! Usted va a ser un mejor hombre.

Translation of my admittedly very rudimentary Spanish:

Very good, Chile Chef! Good Luck! You will be a better man.

(I'm assuming you're a male. If not please don't be offended.)

Bilingual employees are often paid a bonus, and the ability to speak a second language makes it easier to get some jobs.
Gracias Scotch, I forgot about that benefit, I will have to get up in front of the class and speak spanish, Egads I'm going to hurl if I have too.

Muy bien, Chile Chef! Buena Suerte! Usted va a ser un mejor hombre.

Translation of my admittedly very rudimentary Spanish:

Very good, Chile Chef! Good Luck! You will be a better man.

(I'm assuming you're a male. If not please don't be offended.)
Gracias, Laury yo puedo hacer una conversación en español pero estoy muy limitado en lo que puedo decir!, By the I'm a vato!

Considering there are as many people speaking Spanish as there are using English here in SoCal, it is an excellent choice as a second language. Eventually, the English speaking population here will become the minority.

Hispanics are the fastest growing ethnic group in the US - knowing Espanol is, as others have noted, a real advantage in many lines of work. And...if you ever decide to move to Mexico like we did, then you will be muy feliz. (Laury and I took Spanish classes together, actually!)

Considering there are as many people speaking Spanish as there are using English here in SoCal, it is an excellent choice as a second language. Eventually, the English speaking population here will become the minority.
LOL, I think your correct though!

Hispanics are the fastest growing ethnic group in the US - knowing Espanol is, as others have noted, a real advantage in many lines of work. And...if you ever decide to move to Mexico like we did, then you will be muy feliz. (Laury and I took Spanish classes together, actually!)
Well what'
s the hardest part of Spanish I will be learning?

I know I'm going to be taught very basic Spanish second semester, But I like to know what I'm going to be learning when I start class in August!

Chile Chef - it sounds to me like you are way beyond beginner! You can't be that "limitado" if you can put together a sentence like that. Are you sure you shouldn't be in at least an intermediate class???
For me the hardest things to learn were the gender of nouns and the difference between ser and estar - the verbs for "to be".
The easiest parts were basic pronunciation and spelling. It's a much easier language to learn than English would be with all the different pronunciations for the same letters. Think how hard it would be to learn the difference between say, rough, trough dough and through!
By the way what is a "vato"????

And I must say Hola to my dear amiga MexicoKaren. I miss you!

Chile Chef - it sounds to me like you are way beyond beginner! You can't be that "limitado" if you can put together a sentence like that. Are you sure you shouldn't be in at least an intermediate class???
For me the hardest things to learn were the gender of nouns and the difference between ser and estar - the verbs for "to be".
The easiest parts were basic pronunciation and spelling. It's a much easier language to learn than English would be with all the different pronunciations for the same letters. Think how hard it would be to learn the difference between say, rough, trough dough and through!
By the way what is a "vato"????

And I must say Hola to my dear amiga MexicoKaren. I miss you!
Thanks for your reply Sinorita, the word Vato mean's Dude, And like I said in my previous sentence I have a very limitado knowlage of the Spanish movies and I've watched enough movies to formulate my setence above.

I went to the Mexican store we have here in our state and I've asked for everything I needed in spanish, and thank him for helping me in english, He spoke theentire time in spanish though. And after we talked for a few minutes he called me an Honeary Gringo "I know gringo mean white guy/girl"

Anyways here's my question How come I can comprihend Spanish, but I can't speak it yet? I understood what he was saying the whole time, Or what it because of the wrods he was speaking that I heard a lot in the movie lines?

Yes, I believe it's much easier to pick up Spanish than English. My 15 month old grand daughter seems to utter more words in Spanish than English as she grows up in a bilingual environment although English is spoken more often around her. Also, at this stage I'm having a hard time teaching her Japanese, which I speak fluently. I often wish I knew Spanish than Japanese.

I'm a firm believer in learning a second language, period. One friend has a daughter (1st or 2nd grade) who wants to learn French, and she wants her to learn Spanish, because she thinks it would be more practical. BUT the thing is that once you learn a second language, especially at a young age, any other language you try, especially in the same family (i.e., Latin based languages, eastern European based languages, Germanic languages, Asian .... well, I could go on and on) will be easier to learn. Spanish is one of the easier languages to learn; however the accent varies in the extremes. Cubans, Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, and Spaniards often have problems understanding each other, and there are another hundred countries who will tell you you're wrong. I, personally, come from a French Canadian family, and they supposedly can't understand Cajuns, and none claim to understand Parisians or Haitians. So the thing is to just jump in with both feet and ignore any criticism.

For me, the hardest part of learning a language has always been the grammar. As for speaking it well, it's practice, practice, practice. I was terrible at French, had to repeat it in both high school and college, but I ended up spending so much time in the language lab that when I go to Quebec, people ask me if I'm from Paris because of my accent!

Back
Top Bottom