Best kid friendly dog?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SizzlininIN

Master Chef
Ok....I've tried to research this but for some reason I'm not having any luck. We've finally moved into our final home. This will be our 3rd and final total remodel project. Anyway, DH and our youngest have finally worn me down and I've agreed to a dog. I was hesitant because you know who would be the one to be tending to its needs. But for the last month or so I've really thought long and hard and I'm really ok with this. Ok....so I'll stop babbling. I don't think we want a purebreed as they seem to have a lot of health problems you have to watch out for and treat when they arise. Seems like the mix breeds have less health issues. What breeds are the best for kids. Our youngest will be 7 but is on the small size....more like a 5 year old. He doesn't do too well with hyper dogs or dogs on the larger size.....as they scare him. What we'd really like to find is one that is well behaved and trains easily. One thats only the small to lower end of medium size. THe kind of dog that'll just kick back unless you wanna play or take it for a walk. One that no matter where you go he's by your side. I am adimant that I don't want any hyper dog that barks at any noise.....you know those yappy kind of dogs. Sorry to all the owners who have them I hope I haven't offended you.

Hmmm...think you might have work ahead of you to find the right dog. As far as breeds go, look for something with Labrador or Golden Retriever in the mix. Their temperaments are by far the best with kids. Very tolerant dogs. If you are looking for a dog that will be mellow, there are some tests you can do with puppies to see what they will be like. Stuff like holding them on their backs and seeing how long before they struggle to get back upright (longer means more mellow), and there are some other ones too. I can't remember what the other ones are, Ken might though, I'll ask him.

Avoid most terrier breeds as they are hyper, also Border collies as they will need a TON of exercise or they get a bit squirrelly.

Hmm, I am not sure if you can definetely pinpoint the character or disposition of certain breed. There can be general tendencies but there are always exceptions. I have known a few beagles but they all had extremely different personalities. The best thing you can do, IMO, is to spend a little time with the "candidates" and observe their behaviours.
If I risk to pick certain breed for your needs, I would say Scottish Terrier. They are small, but has the big dog like mentality, very calm, distinguished, and don't yap about like many toy dogs...

Most dogs with "retriever" in the name are great. If you're looking for a bit smaller dog, I've heard good things about spaniels and collies as well.

A collie mix is a good choice. My old Maggie dog was wonderful with Erik when he was little. One afternoon, after he'd gotten out of day-care, I was fixing supper and looked out the kitchen window to check on him. He was sound asleep, flopped right over Maggie as if she were a floor pillow. Her head was up, looking very proud and protective of her little boy.

If you go to the pound, look for a dog who will meet your eyes. Sometimes they are the ones who pick you out.

Only two words necessary...CHOCOLATE LAB !!!

We love ours, and she is sooo mellow around kids...Try the various rescue services first and you might get lucky- We did!

I agree about the labs and retrievers, and I really agree about the rescues!

I am the proud owner of a Miniature Pinscher, and I can say with little hesitation that this is not a breed for families with little ones. They are very energetic and nervous little fellows, and even if they are raised with kids, I'm sure that the combination of their energy levels and children's levels might be a bit much for a dog that high strung to begin with. I love him to pieces, and our vet tells us that he's the most well adjusted Min Pin he's ever seen, but I firmly believe it's because we have a quiet home with only adults.

Rescue and shelter dogs need your help. If you're ready for the responsibility of a dog, they make the greatest companions you could ever want to have.

BC

The best dogs I have had were large ones, so I'm not sure my advice will help since you want one that is smaller. I have had a mixed collie and german shepard, really great dog with kids, and now have a labrador retriever, also very good with kids. I think the best thing to do is go to the dog pound/rescue place, and pick one out together as a family to see which dog is best for all of you.

Amen to that, BC. My little pound puppy, Chloe is so sweet and loving. Wish you could have seen her and the 8 yr old grandson playing tonight. Chloe thinks he's her brother.
When there are no kids here, she sleeps at my feet.
We can only guess what her origins are. She's almost knee high, but still a small dog. Her hair is cocker like, all black, except for a little white goatee on her chin, as she's gotten older. She's long legged, like a terrier, has a long body, like a daschhund, and a face and tail like a bird-dog.
It was fate that brought us together. I went to the pound for a puppy, and she was the last one there. She gave me the most pitiful look, there's no way I could have gone off and left her there.
She'd been born in the woods when her mom's family moved off and left them. She had actual flea nests growing on her. I truly believe that she would have died, had I not brought her home. We shampooed, combed, sprayed, combed, etc. for several days, until we got all that nasty stuff off her. Her little body had to be so sore, but she seemed to know we were trying to help her.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input everyone. I had a part lab (looked just like a lab though) years ago and she was truely a wonderful, mellow and loyal dog. I have considered this breed again but I'm not sure I want that size dog in the house. I thought about the golden retrievers also as my brother had a mixed breed one and she had the same temperment as my old lab mix but again the whole size thing. And I read where they are diggers and chewers and I really don't want a dog trying to dig up my carpet or using my furniture as a chew toy :) .
We do plan to adopt no matter what though. I've been checking out the animal shelters and rescue homes around the area online and will continue to do so. I think we'll just have to try visiting one of the shelters and see what happens.
Thanks again for all your advice.

Our Golden is neither a digger or a chewer. She was incredibly hyper as a puppy though. This seems to be just her nature though. I have met many other Goldens that were really mellow. Any dog that they use as a therapy dog in Nursing homes has to have a good nature. Goldens are also known for being one of the best in obedience training.

When I was a kid there was a boy a year older than I was who had a dog that followed him wherever he went. If he went into the store the dog would just lay down by the door and wait patiently. I want that type of dog for our little one. I wished I knew what kind of dog it was. It was medium in size kind of a chocolate color with spots if memory serves me right. I think it was some sort of hunting dog.

Sounds like a springer spaniel.

Look like this?

Attachments

• ENGLISH_SPRINGER_SPANIEL.jpg
    ENGLISH_SPRINGER_SPANIEL.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 131
SizzlininIN said:
Ok....I've tried to research this but for some reason I'm not having any luck. We've finally moved into our final home. This will be our 3rd and final total remodel project. Anyway, DH and our youngest have finally worn me down and I've agreed to a dog. I was hesitant because you know who would be the one to be tending to its needs. But for the last month or so I've really thought long and hard and I'm really ok with this. Ok....so I'll stop babbling. I don't think we want a purebreed as they seem to have a lot of health problems you have to watch out for and treat when they arise. Seems like the mix breeds have less health issues. What breeds are the best for kids. Our youngest will be 7 but is on the small size....more like a 5 year old. He doesn't do too well with hyper dogs or dogs on the larger size.....as they scare him. What we'd really like to find is one that is well behaved and trains easily. One thats only the small to lower end of medium size. THe kind of dog that'll just kick back unless you wanna play or take it for a walk. One that no matter where you go he's by your side. I am adimant that I don't want any hyper dog that barks at any noise.....you know those yappy kind of dogs. Sorry to all the owners who have them I hope I haven't offended you.

SIZZLIN............ Welcome back!:)

I think you just described the temperament of my ideal mate. :ROFLMAO: If he's single & human, will you give him my # :LOL:

I would probably go to the shelter with your little one & see which puppy you all fall in love with. My friend had the most loving, adorable, quiet, long hair, thick coat, dog. Can't think of the name right now. (Big help, right.) She wasn't a small dog, but you couldn't help fall in love with her. She always sat next to me, followed me around, and if I stopped petting her, she would put her paw on my knee. (Got a little monotonous after a while, lol, but what a smart, cutie.) I wish I could think of the breed. Her name was Miko. :)

Here are a few links I hope will help.

http://www.dog-breeds.net/

http://www.dog-breeds.net/Dog_Breeds_Directory.htm

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom