Blow Off Steam Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I think there used to be such a thread as this. I can't find it. So I'm starting another one. This isn't a place to rant about relationships, or where anyone can get toes stepped on. It's a place when a piece of gear at work, or your car, or your house has got you frustrated and just, plain tired.

Working in an area of telephony programming that I've not doe before, I did something that I wasn't supposed to do. What it was that I did, I haven't a clue. Whatever it was, it compromised an important feature of our phone network, albeit important only to our own IT help desk. I started trying to figure it our at 3 p.m. It's now 11 p.m. I was supposed to get off at 5, and pick the choke cherries from our tree. I did come up with a temporary work-around though. That's at least got us able to receive incoming help-desk tickets over the weekend.

And as I was the one who made the programming error, my own sense of right & wrong won't let me bill the time after 5 p.m. I am voluntarily working off the clock.

I'm tired, didn't get to read scriptures with DW, and my neck hurts. I'm going home.

Oh, and just so's everyone knows, I miss BT. Anybody got his phone number?

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I think there used to be such a thread as this. I can't find it. So I'm starting another one. This isn't a place to rant about relationships, or where anyone can get toes stepped on. It's a place when a piece of gear at work, or your car, or your house has got you frustrated and just, plain tired.

Chief, it's called the "Venting" thread.;)

Working in an area of telephony programming that I've not doe before, I did something that I wasn't supposed to do. What it was that I did, I haven't a clue. Whatever it was, it compromised an important feature of our phone network, albeit important only to our own IT help desk. I started trying to figure it our at 3 p.m. It's now 11 p.m. I was supposed to get off at 5, and pick the choke cherries from our tree. I did come up with a temporary work-around though. That's at least got us able to receive incoming help-desk tickets over the weekend.

And as I was the one who made the programming error, my own sense of right & wrong won't let me bill the time after 5 p.m. I am voluntarily working off the clock.

I'm tired, didn't get to read scriptures with DW, and my neck hurts. I'm going home.

Dad, when you are required to work on something you've never done before and have to teach yourself, mistakes are going to happen. It's part of the learning process and therefore part of the job. You shouldn't be working 6 hours without pay for that kind of mistake. You're not a bad person for getting paid for the work you do. And it's not like you get tons of training support so they can't expect you to get it right all the time. I know there would be questions if you billed them and the OT might not get approved, but you shouldn't just write it off as your part of your duty. Your job is a *job*, what you get *paid* to do. You shouldn't have to feel guilty about getting paid for the work you do.

Dad, when you are required to work on something you've never done before and have to teach yourself, mistakes are going to happen. It's part of the learning process and therefore part of the job. You shouldn't be working 6 hours without pay for that kind of mistake. You're not a bad person for getting paid for the work you do. And it's not like you get tons of training support so they can't expect you to get it right all the time. I know there would be questions if you billed them and the OT might not get approved, but you shouldn't just write it off as your part of your duty. Your job is a *job*, what you get *paid* to do. You shouldn't have to feel guilty about getting paid for the work you do.

+1. Well put, PAG.

+10...my boss says I can't have ANY OT...we'll see what happens when the facility starts losing money because I can't get the work done in the time allotted.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom