Botanical question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
I've been looking for this paticular type of willow to buy for planting, but haven't been able to find, exept in my neighbors yard. Is there any way to grow a bush from a branch? I remember something from 5th grade botany class, but do not remember exactly what to do?

I believe willow is one of the easiest plants to propagate. It would not take a branch, just cut off a stem. I would put it in water first, until you observed roots growing, then transplant out.

Good luck.

Its even easier than that! Make a clean cut on a shoot, put it in the ground, keep the ground reasonably well watered.....it grows like billy-oh!

We used to make summerhouses out of willow when I was a kid.....after a couple of years my father made us stop.....his orcahard has a sort of willow maze growing through it LOL

lulu said:
Its even easier than that! Make a clean cut on a shoot, put it in the ground, keep the ground reasonably well watered.....it grows like billy-oh!

We used to make summerhouses out of willow when I was a kid.....after a couple of years my father made us stop.....his orcahard has a sort of willow maze growing through it LOL

this is the way to go this is how I got my gardenia bush started almost 12 years ago... and today its almost as big as a small tree...

charlie, hack off a fairly straight branch in the springtime when it is budding, about 3 or 4 inches around. not too big. strip off and small lower branches.

dig a hole about 3 feet deep, 1 foot wide, even if it goes into the clay layer under the topsoil. give the hole a good watering, stick the branch in the hole and backfill the hole with topsoil. water again, and every so often through the summer.

hopefully it will root and next year you should begin to see new growth.

this procedure works very well for lots of plants from figs to grapes.

Back
Top Bottom