Bugs!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
Do you all remember when I started thread asking what type of bugs I had? Well, they are BACK! There aren't as many but they still are ugly. Someone told me they were Wolf Spiders. The exterminator did not even know what kind they were. Evidently they are determined to take over my house. Last time I only saw them at night. Now they are showing up when I want to do my laundry. I had the ladybugs first but they haven't shown up YET! Must I always stand guard for something trying to come int the house? If it isn't prowlers or burglars, it is these bugs. I promise I do try to keep up with cleaning but I personally don't think that is the trouble. I have never had roaches and I was told once you get them you have hard time getting rid of them. It isn't even Fall yet and they are looking for someplace. One thing for sure, they are determined. My dogs don't even bother them. Just watch them. I am not fooling around this time. The exterminator is scheduled for Thursday. I truly am grateful.

Will Do

Have to make sure they don't see us. If they hear you they start jumping, at you. I will try to see what happens. Texas, aren't you the one who liked the tv show 24?

Great!

They are going to be coming back? Right? I do miss that show. Don't watch much tv if nothing exciting like 13 going on. I wonder if keifer feels the same way. His father is supposed to be in some movie coming out. I don't think they favor much do you?

They used to look exactly alike. If you can, look up on the net and find some of them standing side by side. Donald will be in a new series on ABC or CBS, can't remember with Geena Davis, about her being the president. He is against her in it.
Yes, it's coming back, just not sure when and what it will be about this time, probably the Chinese consulate attacking them.
Jack has to come back at some point, I won't watch it otherwise!!

His whole name: Kiefer William Frederick Dempsey George Rufus Southerland

Heres a pic of them together.

Attachments

• Donald__Kiefer_Sutherland.jpg.jpg
    Donald__Kiefer_Sutherland.jpg.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Wow

You got the scoop! You really are awake. They look like such nice people. How in the world did you find that picture? It is in German, isn't it? They must think lot of them too. Happy to know I can have someone to depend on (you) to keep up with the latest. Thank you for sharing this with me. I just don't get to see them enough. In other words, they always keep a person wanting more. Please, please let me know when the shows are on. I do like Geena Davis too. Did you see her in Tina and Louise? That was a great one. The ending shocked me. Thanks again.

ITK, bugs freak me out.

My home is immaculate, but lately have some flying gnats(?) & pin-head sized creepers. Can't figure out where, why or what. At first I noticed them over the sink & made sure there was no dampness water around the sink area. I'm going through the pantry & getting rid of anything that might have been sitting around for a while - including spices.

At first I thought maybe they're fruit flys, but I never keep ANY food or fruit out. I empty the toaster crumb tray regularly. I passed termite inspection, knew I would. But still can't figure out what the problem is. Maybe the Heat? I've also heard, if you live in a condo, to go in halfsies with your neighbor & have the connecting drains snaked(?)/cleaned out, or clean the drains with bleach.

Wanted to mention too, when I asked the termite inspector about the gnats he said my neighbor had them as well. He recommended installing more tightly woven(?) window screens. Perhaps it comes from the outside (lawn etc) rather than the inside. I keep my pasta in glass containers & thinking I might do the same for rice and couscous. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Bugs are new to me! In FL they seem to pop up everywhere and I never had trouble with them in Seattle.

I went to grab a bottle of booze from the cupboard the other day and there were teeny, tiny ants running about on it! ewwww Never ever have I had to wash down a bottle of liqour before I put it away, but I know better now. Then I was paranoid about finding them on other things (like opened honey containors, peanut butter, etc.) but luckily they hadn't migrated yet.

I, too, have started keeping all of my opened stuff like rices, granola, croutons, well, everything! in glass or plastic click-clacks. That way there is no question about what's going to be in them when I use them. =P

Luckily there are no spiders about. Hope yours get taken care of, ITK!

:heart:
Z

Sounds like either jumping spiders or wolf spiders. (I worked in the PR dept. of a zoo for 15 years and people were always bringing these guys in for us to look at). Not an expert, just dealt with a bunch of bugs over the years.

Both can bite and both can jump, but are not really venomous - maybe a little less than a beesting - for whatever that's worth. Jumping spidies prefer daylight and wolf spiders prefer night. They usually come into the house in late summer to scout winter hiding spots. They are both "hunting" spiders. Wolf spiders are prolific and carry their babies around with them by the hundreds until they get big enough to jump off and start all over again. (Which might explain why you're seeing so many of them)

It has nothing to do with cleanliness- more location and temperature conditions.

Are the spiders more black with a brownish rear (probably jumping) or are they light brownish with black markings (wolf)? Both are kind of furry.

You Got IT!

TexasBlueHeron said:
Sounds like either jumping spiders or wolf spiders. (I worked in the PR dept. of a zoo for 15 years and people were always bringing these guys in for us to look at). Not an expert, just dealt with a bunch of bugs over the years.

Both can bite and both can jump, but are not really venomous - maybe a little less than a beesting - for whatever that's worth. Jumping spidies prefer daylight and wolf spiders prefer night. They usually come into the house in late summer to scout winter hiding spots. They are both "hunting" spiders. Wolf spiders are prolific and carry their babies around with them by the hundreds until they get big enough to jump off and start all over again. (Which might explain why you're seeing so many of them)

It has nothing to do with cleanliness- more location and temperature conditions.

Are the spiders more black with a brownish rear (probably jumping) or are they light brownish with black markings (wolf)? Both are kind of furry.

Yep, that's what they are Wolf Spiders. They are really scary looking, aren't they? I am so grateful someone knows what they look like. I just seem to be infested with them on regular basis. I have lived here long time, why do they show up now? They sting? The thought of them carrying their babies with them is probably why there are so many. As I said, I can't wait for the exterminator to get here. You think they are controllable don't you? I haven't seen them come upstairs yet; only under breezeway and in the basement. Do I have to move everything for the exterminator to get to the walls? I did this last time and he said wasn't necessary. Thanks for letting me know my new company. They are furry too. How nice.

Mental

Can't believe how bugs can upset someone, especially ones in the house! Woke up last nite and wanted to go in basement but when I heard them jumping, I forgot about it. Knowing now that they bite is even worse. I just wonder where they came from? Never saw them before in my life. What is the big attraction to my house? What do they eat, do you know? Bugs do affect me so much. My brother lives in the country on farm. Don't you think he should know about them? Do people that live on farm have bugs? I never have heard of them talking about them. Maybe they just live with them. Thanks all for your support and comments. It does indeed help. I sure don't want to upset my neighbors when the exterminator comes. That means they will have to find someplace else and won't live here. Is this right? The thought of them carrying their babies on their back? Not just one either! TBH you are probably the only one who has seen them.

Don't worry, ITK. I'm sure the exterminator will be able to take care of those guys and will have advice on the cause/control. They are particularly fond of basements. We've only seen one on our property -outside and downstairs - and when my husband stomped on it all the babies ran around. We keep heavy-duty bug spray handy and spray the entire perimeter of the house once a week, which seems to help with the array of critters trying to get in. We have fireants now, but before we lived in recluse country. What fun that was. The bright side is - we in the States don't have to deal with funnel web spiders, which we learned about while living in Australia - they're deadly - like, within a few minutes. I'd take wolf spiders any day (just not in the house!). (I bet some of the folks here from Down Under will attest to that.) You'll keep us posted?

Tbh

You made my day! When someone can relate to what I am experiencing, I do so appreciate it. Thank you for responding. You have someone who wants to keep you happy, your hubby. Fireants, now that is something I never had yet. I live in Missouri, you think that could be something to look forward to? What in the world do they do, hence the name FIREants? I bet you cringed when he stepped on it. Seeing all the babies running. Hope they all died. That is only thing to do is to call exterminator. No one around here has time to worry about wolf spiders. As long as they aren't in their food. Thanks TBH you truly gave me cause to relax. I will let you know what he says tomorrow. I feel so relieved to know he is coming. Last time he came we had mice in the attic. At least, it isn't because of something I am doing wrong. I try to clean up whenever I can.

ITK, when I lived in New York my friend and her roomie lived in a basement apt. (like the one in Laverne & Shirley remember that one). It was over a boiler room? & they had water bugs UGGHHHH! She told me they would run after them with a vacuum cleaner. I'd sleep with the vacuum near my bead, if it was me. Rest easy in knowing the guy will be there tomorrow. I'll cross my fingers for you. Sure wish I could find our where the gnats are coming from.

War

Don't you feel you have a war going on in the house? Trying to keep the place liveable is not easy. I loved LaVerne and Shirley. They knew what we are going through. I remember once having water bug in the bed with me. I woke up and felt it crawling on my face! This was when I was still at home and the durn thing just was so fast but so big. I really think bugs are aggressive. I just can remember it being so fast. Happy it didn't try to go in my mouth or something. Thanks mish, for thinking of me. Gnats normally come in here when I have as you said fresh fruit. Do you live next to someone who has fruit trees or eats lot of different fruit? That would bother me too, trying to figure where they are living. You just can't ignore them, they multiply. I got them having babies while they roam around down there. Doesn't that sound repulsive? Just can't believe how ugly and scary they are. Well, they die tomorrow. Then what? Something else will know I need aggravation. I can never say I am alone. Trouble is, I don't know who else lives here? Thanks for understanding. It helps really.

Mish....definately check any drains...refrigerator trays...etc...where there is moisture. Do you have a bag of onions anywhere? They love the onion skins it seems. We had the problem come to us one year in a load of cherry tomatoes. You lifted the lids...and there they were! Took us 3 months to get rid of all of them. Ours is a refrigerated salad bar...so all salads don't normally have to be pulled...but we had to and wipe out the bottom of it each night to make sure the moisture was gone. I have heard coffee machines are a good place for breeding too...as well as damp mops or brooms. Good luck!

Carpenter Ants?

The exterminator came and sprayed. Hope he got them all. He didn't even know what they were. Now he told me he is sending out inspector to verify that if I have Carpenter Ants? It seems I am having my own personal war here.

I hope this true story will at least give you a chuckle. I am terrified of spiders! Little ones, big ones, daddy long-legs they are the only critters that make me scream!

I worked for a plumber and the "facilities" were in the warehouse which was separated by a wall from the office. One day I was alone in the office with the estimator (who was also a pastor). Most plumbers are sort of rough but Angel was a true gentleman.

I went into the bathroom and just as I was about to sit down - I was actually very nearly perched - I saw the biggest spider in the whole world sitting exactly where my very tender behind was about to land.

Truely I didn't know I could scream like that! I don't remember my feet hitting the floor between that beast and the office but thankfully I must have pulled my pants up along the way. When I burst through the door all I could do was point wild eyed and say "Sssss Sssssppp Ssssss" Angel rushed to slay the dragon or capture the rapist and returned laughing hysterically. As he wiped the tears from his eyes he said "Oh Linda, that was just a little wolf spider...he would only have taken a little bite!"

Let me tell you there is no such thing as a "little" spider when one is about to sit bare tushed on it! That thing was the size of a small dog!:shock:

I will NEVER forget that and I ALWAYS look before I sit!

Back
Top Bottom