Can anyone explain Cloud Storage to me?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have stuff stored in Google Drive, but not important stuff. Mostly stuff I want to be able to access anywhere and share. Like BakeChef, the photos from my phone get automagically backed up to Google+ and my contacts are automagically synced between my phone and Gmail Contacts. I would consider backing up encrypted versions of stuff to some online service, but only as an extra backup.

BTW, I just started a game of solitaire in Win 8. It asked me if I want to store data on my local drive or in the cloud. I chose local, because, even if it's free, I can't be bothered to sign up for something to store my solitaire data. :rolleyes: Maybe another time I'll say cloud, just to see what happens.

I have stuff stored in Google Drive, but not important stuff. Mostly stuff I want to be able to access anywhere and share. Like BakeChef, the photos from my phone get automagically backed up to Google+ and my contacts are automagically synced between my phone and Gmail Contacts. I would consider backing up encrypted versions of stuff to some online service, but only as an extra backup.

BTW, I just started a game of solitaire in Win 8. It asked me if I want to store data on my local drive or in the cloud. I chose local, because, even if it's free, I can't be bothered to sign up for something to store my solitaire data. :rolleyes: Maybe another time I'll say cloud, just to see what happens.

you never know when you'll need those statistics, what if you decide to go pro... :LOL:

I recently bought a Google laptop and it came with a free 2-year 100 Gb Google Drive. I have yet to activate it, but not sure if I should take advantage of it or not as I'm fine with my current external storage system I use.

I recently bought a Google laptop and it came with a free 2-year 100 Gb Google Drive. I have yet to activate it, but not sure if I should take advantage of it or not as I'm fine with my current external storage system I use.
Be sure to let us know how you like your Google laptop.

Google Drive could be a secondary backup. It's really handy for stuff you want to share with someone else. You get 15 GB free for Google Drive, Gmail, and Google+ photos combined.

A few years back Google offered 20gigs of space for $5 per year, so I have 35 gigs total. I can keep that grandfathered plan as long as my card on file stays current.

I'm thinking about getting a chromebook, I'm just not sure if it will do 100% of what I need it to do, the prices do look tempting though.

A few years back Google offered 20gigs of space for $5 per year, so I have 35 gigs total. I can keep that grandfathered plan as long as my card on file stays current.

I'm thinking about getting a chromebook, I'm just not sure if it will do 100% of what I need it to do, the prices do look tempting though.
Now why didn't I think to grab that deal? Do you have a reminder to update your CC info when your card gets renewed?

You should be aware of the security risks associated with storing things in the Cloud. Also, if you get a new computer, the USB ports will most likely be USB 3.0. I have my important files on a mem-stick that lives in my safety deposit box. I take it out and check it every year to make sure I can still access it. I do have copies on my backup external drive but I also want copies someplace where if my house burns down, the data isn't lost (although my lawyer has most of it).

I am aware of the security risks with storing stuff in the cloud. That's why I mostly don't. I only store stuff I don't mind some stranger looking at. I would only store sensitive data in a file that I encrypted. I use TrueCrypt, which is open source and very secure encryption, though I wouldn't claim it was unbreakable, just very hard to break. I wouldn't rely on some website's encryption.

Now why didn't I think to grab that deal? Do you have a reminder to update your CC info when your card gets renewed?

I use google wallet often enough that the cards on there stay current. I have a few merchants that I shop with online that take google payments, as well as the Google Play store.

You should be aware of the security risks associated with storing things in the Cloud. Also, if you get a new computer, the USB ports will most likely be USB 3.0. I have my important files on a mem-stick that lives in my safety deposit box. I take it out and check it every year to make sure I can still access it. I do have copies on my backup external drive but I also want copies someplace where if my house burns down, the data isn't lost (although my lawyer has most of it).

I use Google Drive for non-secure stuff. The only digital things that I have that need to be secure are tax forms. I have onsite backups via home network drives and I also can log in to my tax preparation online accounts and download copies of prior year's tax forms.

Back
Top Bottom