Can I pick your brain on something?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dina

Executive Chef
My 6th grade daughter and 11 of her classmates have started a school newspaper composed of interviews, photos, comics, advise columns, etc. My daughter and another little gal are the journalists who will be interviewing different charity entities. Their plan is to interview shelters, humane society, salvation army, children's hospitals, nursing homes and such. What other suggestions do you have as far as what other places they should visit for their interviews? What name should they call their column? What do you think about "Inspired Mission"? Thanks a lot in advance.

Last edited:
Dina, one of the richest places for information is a senior citizens center or retirement facility. The stories these wonderful folks have are nothing short of awesome.

Also, if they need a "fun" story, they could chronicle the activities at their local nursing home. I know that sounds boring but, our local one has a "senior" prom annually where they crown a queen and king of the prom, which is a dance, if you wish, with music and festive eats.

Have the students scour the area for great community stories.

Good for them Dina! Are they doing this on their own or do they have school backing/resources? I was on our school newspaper in Junior High. I think I was a little immature though and did not take it as seriously as I should have.

I think the list of places they plan to interview is already pretty impressive. Are they going to call and make an appointment to interview at each of those places (I'm sure they have planned on that but wanted to mention it just in case.). Maybe when they are done interviewing the people there they could (with adult supervision) do kind of a "man in the street" kind of interview, asking people if they get involved with service organizations, or "What can you tell me about the [humane society, nursing home, etc.]?" Oh, another place they could possibly interview at is the blood bank.

Good luck to your daughter and all the kids on this venture.

:)Barbara

Katie,
My daughter is excited with your idea about a nursing home's event, more so if there's a dance or prom involved. I will be the parent helping the kids out in this venture. I'll be the one setting up their appointments for their interviews and driving them around. Thank you so much Katie. We love your suggestions and will take them into account.

Barbara,
Your suggestion on interview people on the street is good. The blood bank is another place to add to their list of places to visit. Their purpose for these interviews are to inform the students at their school on what's happening outside their community and how other people help each other. They're still brainstorming on a title for their column. Thanks so much to you too Barbara.

Dina, I can't tell you how much this "senior prom" event has enriched the lives of the residents at the nursing home here. The ladies all look forward to "dressing up" and looking fabulous. The activities area of the facility is decorated like a prom - streamers, balloons, etc. - and the kitchen/dietary staff serve party-acceptable foods. One of our local bands donates their time for the music. Folks show up with their cameras for pics, etc. This has been an annual event for quite a few years now. You wouldn't believe the reaction we get when the "king" and "queen" of the prom are crowned. The sparkle in the eyes of the man and woman who are crowned is priceless.

Our "senior prom" was begun as an entry into the "Make a Difference Day" contest many years ago. Didn't win nationally, but it was a winner here for our senior citizens and the community.

I love those Senior Proms! There is a big one in San Diego every year (at least there was when I was still there).

Dina, seeing as this is an educational project, I would suggest they check out a literacy volunteer organization. As far as the name of their project, I suggest the kids brainstorm ideas, and then take a vote.

Another great place to interview, if they have an office near you, is Habitat for Humanity. A thing just came on TV about it, so that reminded me.

I think the kids need to come up with a name that is a little more representative of them ... and it depends on if they are going to have projects in association with their stories (like collecting food for the food bank - homeless shelters, blankets/socks/clothes for the homeless shelter, toys for the children's hospital, school supplies for kids overseas, toiletry supplies for our military on active duty - or even just letters, a money raising project like a bake sale to raise money to give to the fire department to help them buy smoke dectectors for low income families, going out and raking leaves and picking up garbage at a Habitat for Humanity project, etc.) - or just talking about what needs to be done.

Okay, "We are America, too!" or "Charity Begins at Home" may be a little too progressive for kids - "Kids can make a difference, too" or "Kids can help" - or something along those lines would just be starting points for discussion. But - it would open the discussion on how even elementary school kids can make a difference in the world around them ...

I wish your daughter and her fellow students all the best in this endeavor!

Dina:

Kids can interview kids who work such as babysitters, paper carriers, lawn mowing...etc.

Kids can interview kids who roller blade, skateboard, ride bicycles, or walk.

kids can interview kids who own pets and/or working on a 4H project and have rabbits/horses/pigs/dogs/cats/lizards.

Interview kids who are young musicians or artist.

Interview kids who have traveled outside the United States and kids who have traveled taking an Amtrak Train or an Airplane or even a long car trip.

Interview kids about the latest movies they went to see.

Interview kids about computer software, ipods, cell phones and video games.

Interview kids who collect stuff.

Interview kids who eat at fast food restaurants.

Interview kids who are taking classes in First Aid with the Red Cross.

Interview kids about fashion, make-up, hair styles, and jewelry.

Interview kids about what music they are listening to.

There's tons more kids like talking about so add a recipe for s'mores and have FUN.

Dina: Sorry I missed that their project was for charity see edited notes in red:

Kids can interview kids who work such as babysitters, paper carriers, lawn mowing...etc. (who help their parents and buy food, gasoline, baby diapers, etc.)

Kids can interview kids who roller blade, skateboard, ride bicycles, or walk.
(who ride and perform for such groups as D.A.R.E.)

kids can interview kids who own pets and/or working on a 4H project and have rabbits/horses/pigs/dogs/cats/lizards.
(who also donate their time for Animal Resuce Services)

Interview kids who are young musicians or artist.
(who perform for many groups and paint art projects or make parade floats)

Interview kids who have traveled outside the United States and kids who have traveled taking an Amtrak Train or an Airplane or even a long car trip.
(accompanying an elderly relative to a family reunion, wedding, or funeral)

Interview kids about the latest movies they went to see.
(and how many took their younger siblings as a service to their parents.)

Interview kids about computer software, ipods, cell phones and video games.
(how they are using those services when they walk for a charity, play video games at a charity auction, or donate time in an after school homework program.)

Interview kids who collect stuff.
(a lot of their collections are put on display at local museums who are looking for contributions)

Interview kids who eat at fast food restaurants.
(most fast food restaurants have special nights set aside and donate a % of sales during that time to the charity of your choice.)

Interview kids who are taking classes in First Aid with the Red Cross.
(Future Volunteers of America.)

Interview kids about fashion, make-up, hair styles, and jewelry.
(They clean their closets and give lots of stuff to Goodwill every year.)

Interview kids about what music they are listening to.
(Most kids listening to music are patroits at heart. Look for them to contribute to the Military.)

There's tons more kids like talking about so add a recipe for s'mores and have FUN.
No One is Totally Shallow :)rolleyes:)

What a totally inspired group of talented women you all are. I love your ideas and have mentioned them to my grandaughter who also thought this was a great idea and will pass it onto her teacher as a project for the class for the new year.
Dina: Good on your daughter and her classmates, and I guess there is a talented teacher in there somewhere.

How about calling it "In Your Corner" (of the world, or referring to being supportive of others)?

Dina, what a special bunch of kids. I know how proud you must be. Perhaps they could talk to animal shelter folks too. Thats one that inspires kids. Do you have community organizations there? Someone from your community league might be able to give you a good perspective of what is going on in your area.

What wonderful ideas you all have to offer. My daughter will be so glad to see all of your responses and ideas. Getting the kids involved in helping out and them sharing their stories about their experiences will also be something they can share in the newspaper to motivate other kids in their school to do the same.

There's no teacher involved in this endeavor. The kids have come up with their own ideas. They all came up with their roles in putting together this school newspaper. There's a cartoonist, a typist, a couple of photographers, journalists, reporters, editors etc. I am proud of these kiddos. The school librarian will be lending them the library for their meetings and I will be driving them around to do their charity interviews and help along the way.

Thank you all so much for your ideas. Please keep them coming. I'll keep you all posted on what the kids accomplish with your help.

Hi, Dina. Contact your local United Way office - they're involved in a huge variety of charitable endeavors. I used to work for a non-profit UW org that included among its activities a homeless prevention program, where people were provided with a loan and financial counseling to keep them in their homes; a USDA program to train child-care providers in child development and nutrition; a child-care referral service; and a crisis line to help people in emergency circumstances find help. It was also associated with another organization that organized summer reading programs for at-risk children, and rewarded them at the end of the summer with a free dinner and ball game with the team members of the local AAA baseball team. They also sent the kids to an overnight camp, something that their families could not have provided for them. That's just a small sample of what the United Way is involved in. HTH.

Such great ideas for such a wonderful group of kids. You might contact your local Boy Scouts organizations and see if any of their boys are working on have completed their Eagle Scout badge which usually involves some hard work service project and interview the scout personally. Or any scouts (girls and boys) that are involved in service projects.

Back
Top Bottom