Can you change default internet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
I want my default internet to be my msn instead of IE. I thought there was a way to do this, but, I can't find it.

Do you mean your homepage? If so, Go to <Tools>, <Internet Options>, "General" tab. There you can change your home page and list more than one to auto open. I have two homepages - DC and EatingWA.

Do you mean your homepage? If so, Go to <Tools>, <Internet Options>, "General" tab. There you can change your home page and list more than one to auto open. I have two homepages - DC and EatingWA.

No, I want my MSN explorer to open with links and such instead of Internet Explorer.

I`m pretty sure MSN uses IE as the default browser, you can only really change your default browser if you use something like Firefox or Opera.
it`ll ask you during the Instalation if you want it as the default.

do NOT make Any attempt to delete IE! it`s embedded in MS and ruin the whole OS, you can only Hide it and delete the Icon off the desktop area.

Yes, MSN is a site, but, it is also a browser. My internet service has teamed with them and that is the browser they use.

YT, don't worry, I wouldn't try to take it out. I was just hoping there was somewhere in the settings of the computer that would make my MSN browser come up when I click on links instead of the IE. Well, that answered my question anyway. LOL

Try this:
  1. Right-click on your desktop and create a new HTML document.
  2. Hold down the right SHIFT key, right-click the new file and select open with from the popup menu. This should display an open with dialog box with a list of programs.
  3. Click the MSN Explorer program, check the always use this program box and press the OK button.
I am pulling this from memory because I am not currently using a Windows PC but I think it should work.

Last edited:
Didn't work for me. Might be the difference on Vista, not sure, but, once I made the folder, didn't give me that "open with.." choice. I will keep trying different ways. Thanks for the help.:)

I have never used MSN so I can't say for sure, but other browsers I have used usually have an option menu or preference menu somewhere (you may have to dig in the menus to find it) and there should be a choice to make MSN your default browser.

try this;

1) Go to control panel -> Add/Remove Programs
2) Select Set Program Access and Defaults
3) Choose the custom radio button and from there a menu will appear allowing you to set internet explorer, email etc default programs
4) From here you can set MSN explorer as you default browser

This works in XP not sure about Vista though

Back
Top Bottom