Can't find the "What are you reading" thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mad Cook

Master Chef
Just finished the 5th "Maisie Dobbs" mystery, "An Incomplete Revenge" by Jacqueline Winspear. Can't wait for number 6. The author was born and brought up in Kent in the south of England but is now based in the USA.

The books are set in the 1920s and 30s and her detective is a young Englishwoman who was severely affected by her service as a nurse in France during the 1914-18 war. She's also a psychologist and this and the long term effects of the war in some part affect her cases. Don't expect a warm and cuddly Miss Marple.

The author portrays the England of the time very well with only the occasional minor lapses reflecting the writer's American background - mostly they don't affect the plot. I'd recommend reading "Maisie Dobbs" the first book in the series as, whilst it is a stand-alone read, it does set the scene for the following books but it isn't essential.

I've just started the next choice for our book group. "Eat, Pray, Love : One Woman's Search for Everything" by Elizabeth Gilbert. The Amazon reviews included some really awful ones and I'm beginning to see what they mean. Self-obsession and navel-gazing seems to be a strong thread so far! I have a feeling it will need a deal of determination not to throw it through the nearest window!

Don't sweat the small stuff Mad Cook.

I'm in the same boat.

Sometimes the hardest things to find are those things that are right in front of our face. ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom