Carbolic Soap?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YT2095

Executive Chef
this came up in convo earlier today, does any one Else here still use Carbolic Soap?

I use it daily, but it seems to have fallen out of favor over the years for more "Girly" soap.

it would be nice to know I`m not the only Die-Hard :)

there used to be a little local shop that would sell it, but they closed down, so now I just get it off ebay, it works out the same price even with delivery!
I but 12 at a time and it works out to 50p each.

When I was with my ex (a truckie), I used to buy something very similar to it so that his hands matched the colour of the rest of him! I smell that soap and I think of him, so you won't see that in my house again!!! ;-)

that is indeed the strange thing with this particular soap, it evokes Very strong memories (in those old enough to remember it).
some good, some (as in your case) Not so good.

Probably the best soap ever made, and it`s been since around before WW1!

you should Google it, it`s really quite well known, and will give plenty of answers ;)

Okay I googled it....now I need a "scratch and sniff" post from one of you!

I saw lifebuoy soap on one of the sites. My grandfather used to use that.

Last edited:
Can you remember what he smelt like at the start of the day? Won't be much different. Very clean smell in an non-antiseptic antiseptic kinda way - and by that I mean it doesn't smell like an antiseptic cleaner but that clean smell that you get when something is REALLY clean.

Think the Waltons after one of John Boy's brothers has been in the woods too long and been in the mud and has to get cleaned up for supper!! Think a scene like that and the smells that would evoke in you and then you are pretty close!!

When Google the soap, this thread comes up, not much available about it. I wonder if that is the same soap my mother used to used for lundry back in the Soviet days.

Back
Top Bottom