Career advice please (for a newbie)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Look into the Local ACF Chapter first.

I have had Students and Apprentices come to the restaurant wanting to speak with me. First off, call ahead and ask to speak to the Chef, not a Manager or a Cook etc., only the Chef.

Tell him or her what your intentions are and then ask if you can set up a time to meet with him or her at the restaurant. Once you get there thank them for taking time out of their busy day to meet with you. They will probably talk with you and then give you a tour of the kitchen explaining how they operate. if everything goes over well you could ask about how someone applies for a job at the restaurant.

Again first thing I would do is get in contact with your local Chefs Association to start building your networking system.

Thanks for the great advice Mark. As a Chef, you wouldn't get annoyed at all by a person calling and asking to talk for a few minutes about the job? I guess I just feel that I would be intruding quite a bit by doing so. I plan on checking into the ACF chapter soon, to start networking and meeting other cooking professionals.

Oh, I am not saying that the Chef might not be busy when you call, and might even be annoyed. Not at you, but because of the interuption. I have received calls right during the heat of service and I can imagine how I must sound then when talking to the person who called. They may just have someone take your number and ask the Chef to call you back.

If you contact your Chefs Association they can probably help you with this by either making a phone call on your behalf or the Chef you want to meet with may be one of their members. Plus most Chef Associations have a monthly dinner/meeting where you can meet and network with many different people.Don't be shy when it comes to making that call, and by the way always call first, don't just show up at the kitchen door. I don't see anyone who just shows up without an appointment. My time is very important to me and most of my time is planned out throughout the day.

Sounds good Mark. Sometime soon, I'll work up the courage to call a place in Minneapolis that I really enjoy going to and see if I can speak with the chef. Do you recommend becoming a member of the Chefs Association? It appears to be relatively spendy, with student membership being $81. I think it would be a good idea for my career, so I'm more inclined to suck up the cost.

Also, I just received my acceptance letter to the culinary school. I guess my foot is in the culinary door at least.

I suggest making the phone call, it will be fine. Congratulations on getting accepted to school. I hightly recommend joining the Chefs Association. Its a great place to network and also find out more about whats happening in the culinary world locally. In our chapter we have a dinner/meeting each month with several other functions throughout the year. If you ever have a question or a concern please feel free to contact me. I will be happy to help.

Sounds good. I'll call sometime soon and I'll look into the CA. Thanks for all of the advice Mark.

Your very welcome. Just remember when you become a Star chef I want a free meal. ô¿~
I really mean it, when you find yourself with a question and are looking for assistance feel free to ask.

Nice discussion, i feel it will be good if you decide which degree you want to earn in Culinary also, as there so many programs which can confuse you so try to ask yourself which Culinary Arts Major you want to get.

Oh Well, I am a computer graduate myself. And Cooking.. I am just gaining interest in that and hoping to open a canteen very soon. Talking about your interests, if you think you can be a very good cook, why don't you open up a small canteen or be a chef. Gainign knowledge from the culinary school would be a great idea.

If you want to make career in Culinary Art then you must find best place for this. A cooking job like restaurant Manager, Chefs are good for earning. But you need to learn Cooking ethics, Cooking Style and More which you can learn in Culinary Schools.

Best Of luck for your career..

hi there,

i'm no longer cheffing, but i put about 20 years in the industry, starting out washing dishes at 16 and eventually working my way up to sous chef and executive chef positions.

what you get from a good culinary school is a fairly well-rounded basic knowledge of all the important aspects of the culinary field. i'd stress the basic part, as you will still not be an expert at anything. better programs will also provide you with job opportunities and connections.

the difference between going to a culinary school and working your way up the ranks is that to build up the same general all-around experience and connections will take many more years. in the meantime, though, you will be becoming proficient at some aspects.

of all the people i ever hired, i don't think i ever based a decision on whether or not someone had graduated from a cooking. amount of experience and checking up on recommendations is what mattered. and the fact that some had a degree from a culinary program certainly never saved someone who just wasn't working out from getting fired.

you may (or may not) be able to get a job as a line cook directly out of culinary school. it would probably take several years longer to work your way up to that position otherwise. but not necessarily, if you have a strong work ethic, are a quick study, and make yourself available when the chef is in a pinch because someone is sick or doesn't show up.

you will not be making what many might consider "real" money as a line chef. not until you can land a position at a really fine establishment. and your pay will not be based on having a degree or not, but based on the position you are hired for and your experience. you don't really make decent money until you become a sous chef or executive chef, at which point you will be on salary and pretty much kissing your personal life good-bye due to the hours.

it may seem that i'm coming across with a somewhat negative attitude, but that's not what i want to convey. if you enoy cooking, it's definitely rewarding. 95% of it is simply a job, like any other. but you do get to be creative; more and more so as you gain in experience. and there's a lot of comeraderie. but the bottom line is that you have to sell a product. and the restaurant business is and always has been cut-throat.

in the short-term, what you need to decide is if it's worth several 10's of thousands of dollars to distill say 5 or 10 years of exerience into 2 years or not. and remember that in repaying a loan, you are actually repaying about half again what you borrowed. i'd ask mark what he thinks about this in today's market.

as a middle way, another option would be to start workng your way up in a good establishment and taking occasional courses at a junior college or somewhere to expand your horizons, especially on basics like learning how to make a good brown sauce, etc. in this respect, a culinary school is the way to go, as most average restaurants use a lot of commercial products, and it can be hard to pick up these skills on your own until you can get jobs in a better class establishment. that said, there are a lot of chefs who are willing to take promising aspirants under the wing, so to speak. but it's kind of the luck of the draw on this point.

well, i could probably babble on for years, but i hope some of the perhaps contrary infomation/opinions help you. ;)

And if that the case you better really love what you are doing, because cooking is a hard, hard work. Much harder than a programer.

I understand what you are saying: Cooking is a lot of physical work and long hours. My friend, who once worked as a programmer at Lockheed Martan, also had long hours in a cubicle as she poured over pages upon pages of code. She preferred working in a restaurant cooking because (1) she could tell when something was spoiled and (2) a mistake may miff the customer, but would not send a rocket into an orphanage or whatever.

Cooking is a different kind of hard, but personally, I'd rather cook for 12 hours in hustle and bustle even with a raging boss than sit in a cube quietly for the same amount of time and wonder if my decimal is off in a code. You know?

My advice for anyone looking for work or considering a job change is to love what you do. If you love it, hard work isn't so bad. :) I don't work in foods or in programming, but I have a job I love that I would not wish on anyone. And most people would not do it on a bet. *grins*

To give a quote from the movie American Dreamer: "The important thing, kid, is that you are doing something that makes you happy."

~Kathleen

Find a job you love, and you'll never work a day in your life.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom