Casa de Hoot Excitement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hoot

Executive Chef
Moderator Emeritus
Let me start by saying that we live in an old farmhouse. Matter of fact, I was raised in this house. It's a bit drafty and there are many avenues for critters to find their way in, despite my best efforts.
My daughter moved out yesterday to move into a new place with her fiance.
Whilst cleaning up the mess left behind in her room, what do we find but 2, count 'em, 2 snakes!
They were small (too small to eat) but it was enough to give Mrs Hoot the shivers.
I hate killin' black snakes as they do more good than harm, but these crossed the line, I am afraid.
We have had snakes in the house ever' now and then and every time I find the entry point and close it, seems like they find another.
So....what are y'all doin' for excitement these days?

I can handle lions and tigers and bears, but snakes, Oh my! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

When we were little we had an old spring house on my Grandmothers farm. It was not used, just a remnant of the past. We used to have to go and pick spearmint in the damp runoff area and it was always loaded with snakes. It was almost like catnip for snakes. I was terrified of them then and I am terrified of them now!

Last edited:
I had a garden snake inside work before, but not the house... that I know of.
That would give me a jump start.

The only "excitement" we have had around here is finding bumblebees sleeping on my cone flowers.

If I found a non-venomous snake, I would just carry it outside. I'm not sure what I would do about a venomous snake in the house, call someone I guess. But, we don't have venomous snakes in Quebec unless a massasauga rattlesnake migrates here from Ontario.

:bounce:If I ever again complain about a mouse in the house, somebody smack me!! :ohmy:

But if you had a snake, you wouldn't have mice in the house, Kayelle!

I like and appreciate snakes, probably not so much in my house. I've heard tales and seen pictures of whole nests of snakes in people's houses.

Wonder if there's such a thing as snake repellent.

Last edited:
When I was a kid, my dad had a boa constrictor; he kept it in his army foot locker. I took the skin to school for show 'n tell. So I was never afraid of snakes. When I was in high school, a friend's boyfriend had a snake. Once, at a party at his house, I walked around with it wrapped around my waist. Fun times! :)

Let me start by saying that we live in an old farmhouse. Matter of fact, I was raised in this house. It's a bit drafty and there are many avenues for critters to find their way in, despite my best efforts.
My daughter moved out yesterday to move into a new place with her fiance.
Whilst cleaning up the mess left behind in her room, what do we find but 2, count 'em, 2 snakes!
They were small (too small to eat) but it was enough to give Mrs Hoot the shivers.
I hate killin' black snakes as they do more good than harm, but these crossed the line, I am afraid.
We have had snakes in the house ever' now and then and every time I find the entry point and close it, seems like they find another.
So....what are y'all doin' for excitement these days?

You are giving me the shivers Hoot ! And now I'm looking down and in corners LOL

When I was a kid, my dad had a boa constrictor; he kept it in his army foot locker. I took the skin to school for show 'n tell. So I was never afraid of snakes. When I was in high school, a friend's boyfriend had a snake. Once, at a party at his house, I walked around with it wrapped around my waist. Fun times! :)
I'm quite fond of snakes too. In high school biology I wore a large snake around the classroom and terrified the captain of the football team. He wasn't so macho about snakes. :LOL:

My son found this under a bag in his garage a couple of days ago. :ohmy: I had to Google him to verify that it's only a corn snake.

Attachments

• visitor.JPG
    visitor.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 131
If that happened here, SO would literally move out that day! It's a fact I keep in the back of my mind in case I need it.

No doubt about it, I'm TERRIFIED of snakes and that includes snakes with legs. The only good snake is a dead snake, and that goes for lizards too.Turtles are ok, but I wouldn't care one bit if all the rest of all reptiles became extinct. The truth is I'm only exaggerating a little. It all started when I was a very little kid, and my much older half brother would go into these here hills hunting for rattle snakes. He and his friends would bring them home slithering in white pillow cases and thought it was great fun to tease little sister with them. Aghhhh........what terrible memories. I can't even stand to see pictures of snakes, let alone be anywhere near them. Shudder...

Snakes certainly have their place in the grand scheme of things....just not in Casa de Hoot.
I tried putting signs up warnin' about the dangers of entering. I reckon snakes don't read too good.

Snakes and I have an agreement.

They go there way and I go mine.

Unless it's a copperhead in my space I just scoot them away.

Only snakes I've ever had in the house were a Boa I once got in a failed attempt to get over my uneasiness of snakes. It didn't work. :rolleyes:

And every now and then I find some 2" - 4" baby black snakes in the workshop. They are about the size of large earthworms but I don't like them in the house.

But my kitties Lucy & Ethel think they are great fun. Lucy even finds them a tasty snack. :yum:

For fun around here we try to figure out ways to keep the tree rats from destroying everything they see. The birds sure wish they wouldn't destroy all of there feeders. And I'd like it if they didn't try to eat the house.

When we lived in Texas, The Pirate and his friend would go and hunt for the poisonous snakes and then turn them in to Mr. Herdon for the bounty money. Five dollars for each snake. Then off to the movies they would go.

Living in South Texas, it was the only place I knew of where you would tell you kid to walk in the street and not on the sidewalk next to grass. Snakes could be in there. :angel:

Poisonous or not I'd need to get more then $5 to seek them out.

But then again you can't go to the movies these days for $5.

Has the bounty increased these days?

If the price is right I might be persuaded. ;)

Back
Top Bottom