Cat Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mike, our male silver tabby, and Panda our 4 lb. (and full grown!!! She is teeny-tiny) calico female, will go for just about anything excep vegetables. My g/f has a few easy to make staple foods for when she's on the run, and she's really bad about leaving the plates out. Mike is a huge huge fan of buttered noodles with parmesan cheese while they both enjoy licking cream cheee from her unfinished bagels.

They love little sliced of mozzarella and colby-jack cheese.

Mike loves toast, but only if it's wheat toast.

There was one exception where Mike did eat some broccoli, although it was the kind found in those turkey-cheddar Lean Pockets.

They love when I stir fry! I don't know if the smells attract them, but they love to watch me flip stuff aroundin my wok. I think they're koping for some of the meat to fly out my wok.

Shunka said:
Good to know that a couple of my 13 cats aren't the only ones that enjoy olives!! Of course not all of them enjoy all the same foods. One loves cooked cabbage with onions and butter, another likes tomato pie and braunschweiger sandwiches. There are so many different things, the list would be too long!!

13 cats!!! Do you live on a farm or something? Whoa... 2 kitties in my house keep me busy enough, how do you manage them all?

we have two cats Bullet...If you know me you'll know why he has that name...and Cotton, figure their colors? I havent given them human food yet as they are just 4 months so I am waiting a while longer yet. However they seem to have found this odd taste for pizza.....one piece left out and its devoured in the morn...sheesh

My cat will whine and beg for anything we're eating. We leave dry food out for him, but when we're eating something he can't eat, we give him wet food. We also buy him a rotisserie chicken from costco. (spoiled brat!!) He likes chicken but I think his favorite is fish.

Daddy's Little Darling (aka Domino - a main coon with 1 green eye and 1 blue) seems to know when I bring a can of tuna into the kitchen even when she's upstairs and appears immediately for her share and she loves the liquid. I don't give her much of that because of the salt.

Any time raw chicken breast appears on the counter either as part of a whole chicken or alone she is there in a heart-beat demanding her "share" - she only wants about a tablespoon of it, cut into tiny pieces, but I swear she's try to make off with the whole chicken if she were denied it! She will not touch the dark meat, though.

She asks (putting it politely) for her cream very nicely; prancing and "talking" all over the kitchen counter. (I do sanitize every square inch of the counter top before I cook anything!) until - usually Daddy - pours just the correct amount (about 2 T) into her own little glass bowl and then microwaves it for 4 seconds. If it's not microwaved she will snub it.

Once in a great while she will agree to a bit of cooked food - but it's usually just a ruse to get Daddy to offer it to her.

If her bowl is empty she will "lead" us to her feeding station in the laundry room - walking in front close enough to trip us if necessary. Doesn't mean she wants to eat...she just wants to get us to fill the bowl. This behavior doubles when she wants to be groomed.

When DH came home after having stitches & splint removed from his arm she tasted him! Right on the wrist - no breaking of the skin but definitely a bite though without the "death shake" which is administered when he's doing something to her she wants stopped.

This is the cat who will nearly jump out of her skin if my foot twitches while she is walking towards it but will sleep peacefully between the TV speakers when they are loud enough to shake the house! She slept through Independance Day!

My cats try to get at almost anything I am eating, but they would get in my mouth to get chicken if they could! They love chicken and turkey. They also love tuna. I don't think I've ever had a cat that really liked beef very much.

:) Barbara

The first cat I had loved people food, especially fresh hot buttered corn on the cob. She also went crazy over creamed peas, green beens cooked in ham fat, and absolutely adored chicken (was known to scare my Mother to death when she jumped up on the table to get at the chicken and abscond (sp?) with the first piece she could get ahold of before Mom could react) and turkey (she would wait until we went into the dining room and then jump up and grab a turkey leg, and ending up with more than she bargained for; when after grabbing the leg and jumping down off the table finding the remains of the turkey down on the floor with her). About the only thing she wouldn't touch was Dad's beer (she was his football viewer partner. They would watch the game and eat cheese-nips, but Dad could never get her to take a sip of his beer. Smart cat!)

My current two cats prefer cat food (both dry and moist), but they go absolutely bonkers for KFC chicken, and turn into vultures whenever my brother makes pancakes. They can't wait for him to finish so they can have the plate to lick up the pancake syrup.:rolleyes: They also seem to like Wendy's french fries.

I do not currently have a cat, but when I did (a pair of brother siamese) they had very interesting tastes. Favorite people food included: asparagus, cantelope, anything grilled or barbequed, corn on the cob, and dried beef (before going into chipped beef gravy) or beef jerky (salty rather than hot spice)

My Grandcat is a Maine Coon (soon to be 18 years old) & she is the greatest!

MEOW MIX is the fav as well as tuna juice. Best not let the bottom of the bowl show or we'll def hear about it. Lil' Kitty loves the leftover milk from her Daddys cereal bowl & Riley (20 pounds @ present) will try anything once.

buckytom said:
here's a close up of my maine coon hercules. i used to use this as a desktop background:

and one of bean bean:

They say the eyes are the windows to the soul - well those eyes tell a whole story! So much personality in them...

What sweet-peas. I love maine-coon cats. Is your's huge? My friend has a maine coon and she is the most gigantic cat I've ever seen in my life - a giant furrball with legs and a magnificant tail!

yup, he's pretty big grumble. around 25 pounds. he's a purebred, from champion parentage.

the condensed version, which is tough for me :) , of my cat story begins with dw's first cat, a stray that she took in. he was a huge maine coon "mutt". i fell in love with him, but when he died from a vet's negligence, i went immediately down to the shelter to get a replacement cat. we had the room and the cat setup, and were hurting from the loss of our little guy so i figured that we'd save a shelter cat.
then we got a second shelter cat to keep company a year later.

another year or 2 later, dw did her research, and then begged me to get her a purebred maine coon because she wanted a huge purring furball, kinda like her first cat. so we went to the cat show in madison square garden, hooked up with a breeder, and bought hercules.

finally, over the next coupla years, we took in 2 seperate stray kittens from the neighborhood, one so young that she had to bottle feed through her hair for a few weeks. so we ended up with 5; i guess that made me a cat ace!

recently, the most senior cat, the second shelter cat passed away. i'm glad we gave her a good life.

R.I.P. fluffy.

getting back to herc: imo, he was a tremendous waste of fur, and $700 for the first few years. he was so pompass; didn't like to be held or petted; scared of everything even though he was as big as a dog. he wouldn't eat treats unles he was hand fed. he just sat regally off in the corner, preferring to just look good, and not be bothered.

that was until my son was born, and became mobile.

ever since then, all of the other cats live on seperate floors, often on high places away from wherever the mini human terror was. all except for herc. he lets my son sit on him, pull his tail, push him around all over. all with only an occasional hiss, which of course my son loves and imitates.

so he wasn't a waste of fur afterall. kinda teaches you a lesson, ya know?

I showed & bred Birman cats for around 5 years. Gave it up last year. It's a lot of joy but also a lot of heartache & pain. I know people think that $600 or $700 is a lot to spend on a kitten, but breeding pedigreed cats & raising them correctly is a money losing proposition, any way you look at it. Here's the URL for my web site in case anyone wants to see these beauties!
http://www.elpisbirmans.com

Bucky - if your DW wanted a purring furball, she should have gotten a Birman. One of the last ones kittens I placed went to the vet last week - the vet never could listen to her heartbeat because the purr machine wouldn't stop purring - no matter what the vet tried! :)

Thanks for sharing your cat story, Bucky!! You got a touch of James Herriot in you:) Your kitties are lucky to have found such a good home, and I am glad your son and Hercules became such friends!! Maybe the next time can we see a pic of them together??:rolleyes:

corinne, i've never heard of birmans, i'll tell dw about them. she wants another cat since fluffy died. i'm thinking of another shelter cat: save a life, but we'll see. maybe there'll be a birman at the shelter.

and here you go urm, 2 of my boy and herc by the cats' food bowls.

"i'm not really pulling his tail"

"mmmmmm, fish butt!!!

bucky- Your boy is so cute! Ohmygosh... and so are your kitties! Hercules looks less than impressed in that picture though.. he is probably wondering what on earth that child is doing. LOL. So cute.

corrine- those cats are gorgeous! I love Birmans.

Here are my babies! Sorry about the quality of the pics. The resolution on my digital camera was set to low when I took these..

Attachments

• Picture 010.jpg
    Picture 010.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 177
  • Picture 014.jpg
    Picture 014.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 188
buckytom said:
corinne, i've never heard of birmans, i'll tell dw about them. she wants another cat since fluffy died. i'm thinking of another shelter cat: save a life, but we'll see. maybe there'll be a birman at the shelter.

and here you go urm, 2 of my boy and herc by the cats' food bowls.

"i'm not really pulling his tail"

"mmmmmm, fish butt!!!

Madonna buona, what is your boy doing to Hercules??:LOL:
They are such a pair, Hercules is almost as big as your son!! Thanks for sharing the pic, and responding to my request so quickly!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: They are both gorgeous!!

Grumblebee, your babies are also precious!!
I can never get enough of cats, tomorrow we are going to a cat show and get my kittie fix... can't wait...
Also can't wait for the day when I can get my own again:-p

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom