Catching Up With Kaneohegirlinaz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
Sheesh, where to start?

I don't want to overwhelm everyone, so I will give you all small 'bites' of what we've been up to over the past SIX MONTHS :ohmy: I can't believe that first off.

Anywhos, here goes:

Road Trip August 2019 ~ California

Those DC members who know me, know that on our "Blast Off" mornings at zero-dang-early-hour, I make up breakfast sandwiches to eat once our stomachs finally wake up :LOL:

IMG_4549.jpg

Taylor's Ham aka Pork Roll fried crisp with an Egg, fried hard & some Chives sprinkled over it and a slice of Cheese (to the diner's choice)
:yum:
All washed down with some Cranberry-Pineapple Juice that I brought along in the cooler.

1st Stop for the Night: Tehachapi, CA

BEAUTIFUL!!!
I didn't snap any photos here, but believe me when I tell you it's drop dead gorgeous here, and that's sayin' something from a little Hawaii-Born Gal!

Dinner was at the Red House BBQ … thank you Cheryl J for the suggestion back a time back … that was delicious!

IMG_4555.jpg

I judge a BBQ joint by it's Brisket, don't you?
The sides offered were a dream, I chose Fried Okra and Mac `N Cheese
WOW!

DH isn't into BBQ much …

IMG_4556.jpg

Chicken Fingers, Fries and Corn on the cob (whiny 10 year old boy, `member? :glare:)

This joint encourages graffiti, I couldn't resist …

IMG_4557.jpg

To Be Continued

Moving On ...

The next morning we decided that we wanted more than the standard continental breakfast offered for free by our hotel and headed over to Henry's Café.
There was a HUGE to-do with the locals and everyone was chattering on about the new Walmart Super Center that had just opened, I mean as in the Grand Opening was that morning!
Fortunately for us, most of the gang had cleared out of the Café and we didn't have to wait very long for a table.

IMG_4558.jpg

We shared, shared mind you, a Breakfast Burrito... good thing too. DH had ordered first and asked that his Burrito have the Potatoes on the side... after seeing one being placed down at the table next to us, I said "just coffee for me please".

*** Here's what we've learned having done so many Road Trips and living out of a suitcase for weeks on end: you really don't want to have leftovers to deal with when traveling. Most sit-down-restaurants serve more food than one of us can eat, so with that, we share (not "split", they up-charge for that). If for some reason that's not enough food, there's always dessert. ;)

From Tehachapi, we motored towards my Mother's home for a visit. My Mom LOVES it when we come to stay with her, because she gets to go out to eat, her favorite activity.
My Mother doesn't really cook anymore, it's just her and each time that we go there, I bring loads of her favorite dishes for her freezer.

We headed out on a day-trip over to Kingsburg for lunch and some window shopping.

IMG_4566.jpg

IMG_4564.jpg

The restaurant that Mom wanted to take us to was CLOSED, DANG IT!
But their sister shop, Bella Bakery was open.
So we had cupcakes and coffee for lunch. YUM!

Next up on the agenda, late lunch/early dinner at DiCicco's over in Sanger.

IMG_4561.jpg

IMG_4562.jpg

Like I said, my Mother likes to eat out; any leftovers stay in her `fridge for her later consumption.

To Be Continued

DiCicco’s in Fresno was our (first wife and me) hangout in the 70's and 80's.. A high school friend of my wife bar tended there for many, many years.. Had a lot of good food and fun there..

From the web site...
"first DiCicco’s Restaurant was opened on Belmont and Blackstone Avenues."

That was the Fresno location we went to lots..

Ross

DiCicco’s in Fresno was our (first wife and me) hangout in the 70's and 80's.. A high school friend of my wife bar tended there for many, many years.. Had a lot of good food and fun there..

From the web site...
"first DiCicco’s Restaurant was opened on Belmont and Blackstone Avenues."

That was the Fresno location we went to lots..

Ross

I know where that is!
We try NOT to go to Fresno, what with this and that … Big City doin's aren't for Mom anymore...

Everything looks good.

BTW I found out about the "UP charge" crap. Now I just share with my daughter.

Both my husband and I like to plan an extra Road Trip after a stay at my Mom's. This time we headed for Newport Beach. We've stayed here several times in the past at a very simple old-school motor-court motel, right across the street from the BEACH!!!!

IMG_4583.jpg

We do a lot of walking and people watching here.

IMG_4586.jpg

I spied this place, it seems new... but we had already eaten ...

IMG_4589.jpg

IMG_4590.jpg

… over here … Bear Flag Fish Co. MOST ONO!!!
I ordered the Calamari with Greens and Rice, DH had a Ahi Poke Bowl, but by the time I came to the table with mine plate, his was GONE!

IMG_4592.jpg

IMG_4593.jpg

IMG_4594.jpg

(do you see a theme of Cupcakes on this trip? :LOL:)

In this same shopping plaza is Frosted Cupcakery, yeah baby!

The following day was my shopping day.
But breakfast first.

IMG_4596.jpg

IMG_4597.jpg

(they serve Maple Syrup btw, not Pancake Syrup)

We found Cappy's Café and it's a true find!

IMG_4570.jpg

I insist upon going to Tokyo Central to purchase the Hawaii products that I can't find in the middle of the desert, or have run out of from my haul from back home.

IMG_4605.jpg

AND they have a huge Okazu-ya or Japanese delicatessen. We have at least one meal a day here when in Newport Beach.

Once we'd had our fill of food, fun and sun, we made our way home.

Stay Tuned

Road-tripping is so much fun! Since we haven't been to anywhere much lately other than FL or OH, I'll just ride along with you and DH and enjoy the scenery and food reviews. I take it that your DH's arm is all nicely healed from his mishap?

The next morning we decided that we wanted more than the standard continental breakfast offered for free by our hotel and headed over to Henry's Café. ...
attachment.php
There is a coffee pot water tower along our route from home (OH) to "home" (MA). It's nowhere near as pretty as the one you posted the photo of, though.

I’m enjoying this thread. I was thinking about doing a road trip in April when my younger daughter has spring break. We would drive to Chicago from Boston and spend 10 days to break up the trip. The wife is not interested in doing this unless we fly out. She doesn’t want to repeat sitting in a car for 32+ hours of driving.

Road-tripping is so much fun! Since we haven't been to anywhere much lately other than FL or OH, I'll just ride along with you and DH and enjoy the scenery and food reviews. I take it that your DH's arm is all nicely healed from his mishap?

There is a coffee pot water tower along our route from home (OH) to "home" (MA). It's nowhere near as pretty as the one you posted the photo of, though.

CG, DH's arm is healed, but he still does PT to strengthen his Bicep, which was completely severed and successfully re-attached by the brilliant surgeon our GP referred him to.

IMG_3609.jpg

IMG_4395.jpg

I’m enjoying this thread. I was thinking about doing a road trip in April when my younger daughter has spring break. We would drive to Chicago from Boston and spend 10 days to break up the trip. The wife is not interested in doing this unless we fly out. She doesn’t want to repeat sitting in a car for 32+ hours of driving.

Mahalo, thank you BBQ !! I'm really glad that you're enjoying this adventure.
It's a shame The wife doesn't want to Road Trip, we find it very relaxing and a blast to-boot.

We like to take non-highway-ish roads when possible and see more of the countryside as apposed to the Interstate.

We keep our driving days to anywhere from 5-8 hours at a crack.
Once we did a 13 hour day of non-stop driving, that was eating sandwiches in the car that I had made up the night before and only rest stops when necessary.

We do a lot of research prior to blast off, plot out our route with stops, food and sight-seeing too, that's real fun of it.
We drive one day from point A to point B, check into our motel/hotel, and spend 1-5 days at any given locale for activities.

This little Hawaiian Gal has seen more things in America than I ever dreamed I would. I feel very blessed, indeed!

*** Author's side note: Are honeymoon, many moons ago, was a month long Road Trip. DH planned it all, by the seat of his pants, and I thought that he was NUTS! We went from Baltimore, MD to Kennebunkport, ME and back again, with historical stops along the way, even Niagara Falls, WOW!!!

While in the mean time …

DSC01232.jpg

DSC01233.jpg
only the second time I've ever tried making Italian Bread

DSC01254.jpg
Found a new Chocolate chip Cookie recipe :yum:

IMG_4614.jpg
Tried fried Kielbasa and Cabbage for the 1st time

IMG_4681.jpg
Tonkatsu (that's made with pork, not chicken) Plate

IMG_4728.jpg
Gainlan (Chinese Broccoli) and Pork Stir Fry over noodles

IMG_4729.jpg
Char Siu (Chinese BBQ) Chicken and Fried Saimin

IMG_4769.jpg

IMG_4773.jpg

IMG_4774.jpg
My Superman's B-Day scratch made cake & frosting

IMG_4782.jpg
B-day dinner request

IMG_5187.jpg
B-day breakfast request

IMG_5188.jpg
Meatball Parm

IMG_5191.jpg
Adult version of Mac `N Cheese Dinner

… here's what other things that I've been up to … well this takes you to the later part of September at least …

There's More Adventure To Come

Last edited:
… Let's Get Ready to ...

Go on another Road Trip!
:clap:
This time it'll be from Arizona to Florida and back again, yup.
On my bucket list is Key West Florida. Being born and raised in Hawaii, I've so wanted to visit here. For my bladdy-blah-blah birthday, DH agreed that he'd take me there (he's been several times before he met me).

So let's get ready.

New Mini Keurig.jpg

I'm so happy that I found this new Mini Keurig coffee maker, I just knew that it would be much better than the coffee offered in your hotel room. Not to mention, they only provide you with two cups per day. We enjoy a cup or three in the mornings before we leave for the day; as well DH likes coffee once we get back in the later afternoons.

IMG_4754.jpg

IMG_4764.jpg

Along with paper goods, I also take along with us some S&P, spices, Shoyu (aka Soy Sauce) and Furikake, Mayo & Mustard and the odd condiment pack. I do cook/grill from time to time on Road Trips.
The Aloha Shoyu To-Go is new. I've been looking for this for years! I wanted the single-serve packets for Road Trips, but only found it this past May whilst back home in Hawaii, of course.
In addition, I pack-up acoupla per-made suppers, sandwich makings, a box of Cereal and Road Snacks. ;)

IMG_4784.jpg

We never travel anywhere without bottled water, it's a desert sort of mind-set. I've also brought along this trip some small single-serve bottles of Juices for early blast off days and when hotel-free-breakfast isn't available.
You can't see it, but back there is a case of wine for you know, emergencies.
:LOL:
See those floral plastic bins? I got them at the Megamart for $5 each... I felt that they would work well as my "kitchen on the road" so to speak. That way if there's any spillage along the way, no big deal.
Also not visible are two large covered plastic bins with 1 weeks worth of clothes for each of us, we'll do laundry along the way when necessary.

So the car is pack and loaded for bear (and I think I did a pretty dang good job of it even if I do say so my self), it's time to go!

Wow, sounds exciting. I guess you have "itchy feet". ;)

Bottled water as dessert mind set? What about the water bag with the water soaked cover that we used to put on the bumper of the car while driving through the dessert? Do people do that anymore?

Loving this K-Girl.. :)

Taxlady.. We used to do the water bag thingy a lot.. Plus.. Before we got a car with AC, we had a window appliance which we would fill with water and it would cool the car as we drove down the highway.. Kinda like the old swamp coolers for houses.. Great memories.. :ohmy:

Ross

Wow, sounds exciting. I guess you have "itchy feet". ;)

Bottled water as dessert mind set? What about the water bag with the water soaked cover that we used to put on the bumper of the car while driving through the dessert? Do people do that anymore?

Taxy, one of the reasons that DH and I decided to move from a Hawaii to the continental USA is to be able to travel more.
We both love Road Trips, we think that it's the best way to see the Country.
As to the bottled water, we learned very early on that you should always keep potable water in the car at all times. Ya neva know ;)

Loving this K-Girl.. :)

Taxlady.. We used to do the water bag thingy a lot.. Plus.. Before we got a car with AC, we had a window appliance which we would fill with water and it would cool the car as we drove down the highway.. Kinda like the old swamp coolers for houses.. Great memories.. :ohmy:

Ross

Mahalo, thank you Ross!
I'm really glad that you're enjoying coming along on this journey with us, so to speak :LOL:

First Stop …

Once a year, DH and I make a pilgrimage to Southern Arizona to see our doctors.
Now this may sound odd, but it took us a long time to find good health care once we moved to the "Mainland" and it's become even harder since moving to Northern AZ.
We do have GP's up here for the odd cold, flu shots and whatnot, but the big stuff is taken care of with our tried and true doc's down South.

I found this great Hotel/Condo/Time Share, not sure what it is exactly, because each time we've been in the past three years, it changes.
But we love the place.
I reserve us a one bedroom apartment with a king sized bed. There's a Livingroom, dining room, full kitchen and covered patio. The kitchen is fully stocked with everything that you'd need to prepare and serve three meals a day. The lanai has a gas grill, which is a HUGE plus for us. Oh, AND there's a washer and dryer in the apartment!!! +++++

IMG_4785.JPG

What I do is go to the grocery store once we've gotten situated, it's less than a mile away, stock us up with whatever foods we will need for our stay and we're golden!

IMG_3656.jpg

The complex has a nice pool, splash pad for the kiddos, and hot tubs scattered throughout.

IMG_4793.JPG

Our apartment on this stay has a lovely view!

IMG_4791.JPG

IMG_4792.JPG

There are a few restaurants that we go to while in Southern Arizona, not many, but we do go out to eat every so often. On this trip, we had breakfast at Sahuaro Café, MMM!

IMG_4795.JPG

IMG_4794.JPG

Also on this trip, we did a take out order of Mama's Sicilian Deep Dish Pizza, meh. I think we'll stick to the thin crust.

IMG_4796.JPG

The apartment complex provides a few things to get you started, such as coffee, paper goods AND some microwave popcorn! I made us up a big bowl sprinkled with some of our Furikake to enjoy as we watched a movie in the very comfortable Livingroom one night.

So we've made the full round to all of our doctor's, now, it's time to get this Road Trip going!!

Back
Top Bottom