Cats saved my life!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bullseye

Head Chef
I'm not going to be too melodramatic about this, but my Mom's cat and, in different way, one of my own, saved my life last night. I was doing a pot roast, actually half of one because I was cooking for just me, and I felt it was cooking too quickly. I turned down the temp on my 1920s gas oven to the min, stuck the braiser back in the oven, and went back to the couch and the TV with the timer set on one hour. I fell asleep. For whatever reason—oven door closed too fast, spilled liquid, I don't know—the flame went out. I woke up to my Mom's visiting cat, Freddie, batting my face and my own cat, Blurr, trying to stuff her face under my feet. I smelled the gas, but was groggy. Thankfully, I remembered not to touch anything electric. I opened all the windows and doors--all cats immediately went with noses to the outdoors--swept the propane out, and wound up with nothing worse than a crashing headache. (Where's the headache smiley?) The headache continues, but now it's more from me beating myself over the head. My mother, though very concerned at the time, is getting lots of mileage in Hawaii (that's why her cats are here) about how smart her Freddie is!

You are very lucky..Extra pats for the cats and a big hug for you..So glad you are okay

kadesma

You are very lucky..Extra pats for the cats and a big hug for you..So glad you are okay

kadesma

Yes, I am very lucky. As for pats, I have patted their silly ears off--they're all aver the floor and I can't find the ear glue!

Glad you have your sense of humour! Also glad you had your cats. They are wonderful creatures that way. I am thankful for you that all worked out.

Those cats didn't want to die of gas poisoning any more than you did. And you were the only one who could fix the problem. They acted as an early warning system. Thank heavens for their heightened senses. Pets not only give us love, and someone to love, but can be wonderful first alert critters as well. So many reasons to love your pets.

Glad you're Ok.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Wow - that's some story. Gave me shivers up my spine. I hope your headache goes away - are you sure you shouldn't go to the doctor?

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{pets}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} to all the kitties.

Seriously - the shivers won't go away.

Thanks, all, for your concern. The little furballs all seem fine, and I have pampered them mercilessly! The headaches have receded for me--I can't speak for los gatos, but they are doing their normal catly things.

img_796880_0_22249ca1bca60b8ed284bbff4f0f2de1.gif

Wow, its great that they woke you up!! Give Freddie and Blurr a big ole hug!! whew, that was close!!

Thanks for all your concern, folks. Reanie and Katie--I am shopping for propane detectors; they're not too expensive and probably a good bit of insurance.

I actually had a similar experience when I was young and single, living alone in an apartment in Arlington, VA. Had an old gas stove I'd complained to the management about several times because my sensitive sniffer could smell a gas leak. One time a friend was visiting and pounded so loud that she woke me up (in those days I never napped but fell asleep during the day, I was so tired) and yes, once my cat woke me. Yes, they finally fixed the stove. But if it wasn't for the friend and the cat ... who knows?

LOL! I completely understand how that goes. Our cat Tuxedo has a built in alarm clock in his furry little head and never lets us sleep in...even when we want to. Used to be 7:19 he would wake us, now its 6:50. He purrs to wake us, but the message is still the same, "TUNA NOW!"

I'm glad to hear that you have no lasting ill effects from the gas. That would be truly awful.

Back
Top Bottom