CBS Sunday Morning.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
It is rare that I sit down to watch tv especially on Sunday morning. However, CBS Sunday Morning show had all about food. Guess it is on everybody's mind for the food day, Thanksgiving. Rachel Ray was a featured interview on the show. After watching her on Food Network, I considered her kind of different. Times she made me nervous so I haven't watched for some time. When they interviewed her one on one, she came across very differenet. Not so cooky. T hey showed her wedding and her husband. She got married someplace where her favorite wine is made. I surely wish I could recall all the details. It was very good show and grateful I got to see it. Did any of you get to see it? They gave background about how grocery stores are going out of business. Do you believe this? Are people giving up everything connected to the home? Our values are really out of balance, only my opinion.

didnt see it, but im very curious...why do they think grocery stores are going out of business?!?

competitive

They are trying to imply that people would rather eat in restaurant than home. They say the grocery individual grocery stores are getting competitive due to super stores like Wal Mart Sam's and Costco having it all and one stop shopping. It does sound simple' one stop' but I am picky and times they don't have what I prefer especially when it comes to the meat. People are just not putting value in eating. Hormones or no hormones they just fix it and that's it. I surely don't want that to happen here if I can help it. Many times I smell the meat to see if I can detect familiar odor to it. I always recall my mother doing same thing.

Super Target doesn't have half the selection the big grocery stores have around here. Ironically, Cub Foods, which is not a national chain but a Minnesota company, is seemingly the largest grocer (sp?) in MN. Super Targets are starting to be more popular, and Super WalMart is starting to break in as well. Otherwise, Rainbow Foods is the other biggie. Some high end grocery stores include Lunds & Byerlys. They carpet their stores and not only bag your groceries, but load them in your car!

One of the news stations did an investigation as to who was the cheapest. Super Target won. I've been shopping there for a while now, but as I said before, their selection can't compete with Cub (or other grocery stores).

There are a number of smaller grocers in MN as well. Not sure how they stay alive with the giants, though the smaller stores tend to be in rural MN where the big boys don't go as it would be counter productive to profits.

Big Dog

You have interesting statistics. They did mention Super Target but we don't have them here in St Louis. They seem to be really great on other items like insulin for diabetes and pharmacy items. However, did you hear where they don't want solicitors to ask for money at Christmas like Salvation Army. That seems negative toward the public that they won't allow this. It is up to individual to give if they want. I don't think it really offends anyone. Target wants the money not Salvation Army. Kind of disappointing when I shop there so much. One thing I certainly respect is that the store is always clean. Not like Wal Mart. Clothes on the floor etc. Guess they can't help it to try to straighten up. Big Dog glad you remain loyal to the one that does the most for you and not your pocketbook.

Now that you mention it, I do notice the lack of "solicitation" around Target. Cub always permits the Salvation Army to ring their bells during the holiday season. Also, Cub lets the local schools come in and provide service for tips, i.e. the high school _________ (band, sports team, club, whatever) and bag groceries. Just this past weekend, the local high school had a couple band members playing seasonal music on the saxophone and flute, as well as bagging groceries. Only problem I had was I just put my last cash into the red kettle outside the store on my way in!

Also, Cub has pre-bagged groceries for sale to purchase for food shelves. You buy the bag, they take it to the food shelf.

solicitation

I naturally expect them to be ringing the bells with the kettles. This Cub store sounds like pretty nice store. I am thankful you like it. Even promote the local schools that's one way to keep them coming. I do feel bad about Target. I really don't think it will deter anyone from spending their money. Just proves the poor always are forgotten. Guess nobody remembers the story of Scrooge. That put fear in me.

I remember the story of Scrooge. I prefer the Muppet's telling the story though! My all time favorite movie: The Muppets Christmas Carol.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom