"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-31-2013, 12:42 PM   #1
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 1,158
Cell Phones?

I admit I'm a dinasour when it comes to certain modern technology i.e. cell phones, ipads etc.

I bought an LG trackphone that has many capabilities, sending pics, etc., but don't know how to use it. Biggest problem is dialing a number that requires pressing several numeric numbers to get connected to my party. The other is, it was advertised as free web browsing. It's not. I noticed minutes were being deducted. I would like your input re best cell phones & prices. I bought it because I wanted to take my food pics and post them here, surf the web, but mostly to easily connect to a number. Also, I've seen members browsing via a mobile device. Please advise me as to what to get that best fits my needs. TIA

Cerise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:58 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Did a manual come with your phone? You should have one. I know it is against our nature to read the instructions, but as the saying goes, "if all else fails, read the instructions."

For starters you should be creating a 'contact list' of all the people you call regularly. Then you only have to press one button. Start with writing out a list of all the people you call on a regular basis. Including work. Then you can key all the information into the phone.

For the rest of what you want to know I will let someone else step in and help you.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:10 PM   #3
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 6,345
I work in a technology related field, but until a couple of years ago was also kind of a dinosaur when it came to cell phones. My wife kept trying to talk me into an iPhone, but being part of the anti-Mac crowd (or maybe pro-PC is a better way to put it), I refused to budge.

Finally, I ended up getting a Motorola Droid X, which is a Google Android phone, and absolutely fell in love with it - to the point where I wondered how I had gotten along for so long without one. I used it for everything - listening to music and audio books, as a phone, for photos, as a GPS, for email, web browsing, etc. Smartphones are real multi-taskers! I now have its successor, the Droid Razr Maxx, which I like because it can go up to two days without recharging.

My provider is Verizon. It works great here in the Twin Cities where I get consistently fast 4G coverage, but is somewhat spotty when we travel to Wisconsin. Coverage varies from region to region, so you may want to stick with what works best locally.

As for the iPhone, it isn't for me, but my wife loves hers. I wouldn't advise anyone against buying one. Again, it's just a matter of personal preference.

The only thing I've not heard good things about are Windows phones. A friend had one for a while, and said it was constantly rebooting itself or locking up.
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:13 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 46,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
...The only thing I've not heard good things about are Windows phones. A friend had one for a while, and said it was constantly rebooting itself or locking up.

sort of like the PC operating systems.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:14 PM   #5
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 6,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
sort of like the PC operating systems.
Pretty much.
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:20 PM   #6
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Galena, IL
Posts: 7,970
I have a Tracfone. Very cheap. It does what I need to do, that is outgoing long distance (mostly to my newly widowed and lonely mom). I don't need something to take pictures or connect me to the internet, just for long distance and when I'm traveling (usually to visit Mom). This is cheap and does what I need it to do. I never thought of myself as a technophobe, but am realizing that I am.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:30 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston and Cape Cod
Posts: 10,111
I couldn't live without my iPhone

I'm posting with it now! :-)
__________________
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:19 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 25,016
I love my iPhone too. I'd gotten my iPad first, so the learning curve wasn't too bad as the devices have similar features.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:38 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 16,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I have a Tracfone. Very cheap. It does what I need to do, that is outgoing long distance (mostly to my newly widowed and lonely mom). I don't need something to take pictures or connect me to the internet, just for long distance and when I'm traveling (usually to visit Mom). This is cheap and does what I need it to do. I never thought of myself as a technophobe, but am realizing that I am.
I can relate, Claire. My phone is, perhaps, one step above a Tracfone, which I used to have. All I do is receive and make calls. The phone can take photographs, but I don't know how to do it, even with the instruction book as my guide. No texting, even though the phone has that feature. Glenn's phone is the essentially the same, but a different brand.

I'm not, nor have I ever been "married" to my phone. When I'm at home it sits on a shelf in the kitchen. When I'm out, it's either in a pocket or my purse. There have been several times when I've come in from hanging clothes or been working outside and discovered I'd missed a call. Leave a message.

When we're at the theatre, dinner, wedding/funeral/baptism, etc., or some other important event, or doctor's office, our phones are off. We have voicemail feature and if anything is so important, the caller can leave a message. There have been countless occasions when we've simply forgotten to take our phones when we left the house, but nothing earth-shattering happened.

I've just never been a phone person. That may have been because my father, a country doctor who made house calls, required that the phone remain as free as possible so his patients/hospital could reach him. My siblings and I respected that and understood that it was a tool to his livelihood.

I love new technology, but a phone just doesn't do it for me.
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:57 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston and Cape Cod
Posts: 10,111
I read the papers on my phone. Use it as an alarm clock and calendar. Participate on message boards. Review work documents. Email. Watch Hells Kitchen. Watch David Chang make ramen. Check the weather radar. Videotape my tennis partner. Play scrabble with my sister in Minneapolis. Google everything. Buy stuff on Amazon. Learn Korean. Check maps when I'm lost or when I want to look a location up. Take great pictures. Note names of people I've just met since I'm forgetful. Play Angry Birds. Look up the planets I see in the sky. Listen to music. Listen to the radio. Listen to Logan Airport final approach chatter. Use it to buy lunch without cash. It's my Acela ticket, too.

Pretty remarkable little device.
__________________
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:17 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 46,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
I read the papers on my phone. Use it as an alarm clock and calendar. Participate on message boards. Review work documents. Email. Watch Hells Kitchen. Watch David Chang make ramen. Check the weather radar. Videotape my tennis partner. Play scrabble with my sister in Minneapolis. Google everything. Buy stuff on Amazon. Learn Korean. Check maps when I'm lost or when I want to look a location up. Take great pictures. Note names of people I've just met since I'm forgetful. Play Angry Birds. Look up the planets I see in the sky. Listen to music. Listen to the radio. Listen to Logan Airport final approach chatter. Use it to buy lunch without cash. It's my Acela ticket, too.

Pretty remarkable little device.

Yea, but can you make a phone call with it?
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:55 PM   #12
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,096
My phone is just a step above 2 tin cans and a string LOL

I don't want all that stuff. I just want to be able to make a phone call.

I do use the alarm on my phone to remind when it's time for DH's meds but other than the alarm I'm fine with my prehistoric relic.
MrsLMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:12 PM   #13
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 1,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I work in a technology related field, but until a couple of years ago was also kind of a dinosaur when it came to cell phones. My wife kept trying to talk me into an iPhone, but being part of the anti-Mac crowd (or maybe pro-PC is a better way to put it), I refused to budge.

Finally, I ended up getting a Motorola Droid X, which is a Google Android phone, and absolutely fell in love with it - to the point where I wondered how I had gotten along for so long without one. I used it for everything - listening to music and audio books, as a phone, for photos, as a GPS, for email, web browsing, etc. Smartphones are real multi-taskers! I now have its successor, the Droid Razr Maxx, which I like because it can go up to two days without recharging.

My provider is Verizon. It works great here in the Twin Cities where I get consistently fast 4G coverage, but is somewhat spotty when we travel to Wisconsin. Coverage varies from region to region, so you may want to stick with what works best locally.

As for the iPhone, it isn't for me, but my wife loves hers. I wouldn't advise anyone against buying one. Again, it's just a matter of personal preference.

The only thing I've not heard good things about are Windows phones. A friend had one for a while, and said it was constantly rebooting itself or locking up.
Thanks, Steve. I'll try to remember the names. I want to go to Best Buy, as I think their ad says you can trade in your phone & plan for another.

I read the manual, went to their site & spoke to a tech on my non cell phone. Couldn't understand a word he said. I can make a call, but can't figure out how to press options 1, 2, 3 etc., after I'm connected to a certain number. Mostly, I bought it for emergency reasons. Many times my ride is late, & I'm worried I'll get stuck somewhere; and, there are no longer pay phones around.

Thanks all, for your input.
Cerise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:58 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 13,217
I use a cheap AT&T pre-paid smartphone. I pay for voice minutes but not for data. I'm always near a hot stop so I can get on the web over the wi-fi, no charge there.
I don't like yapping on the phone so my $25 worth of voice minutes I purchase from AT&T usually last me 2 months on average. Cheap, no contract, free web via wi-fi.
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:52 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 13,853
Himself has been looking to chang our plan. Nothing wrong with Verizon (which is what we have) but they finally realized he's not supposed to be getting an employee discount since he's been laid off for 1 1/2 years. Oops! He's been anticipating this so he's looked around for a while. What looks best for us is through Republic Wireless (using Sprint towers by us). You buy your phone from several choices of smart phones, pay $249 for the phone, and then pay $15 a month for as long as you own the phone. We've had our current phones for over 2 years so prorating the phone cost in this plan should stay under $25 a month for us. Not bad for unlimited phone, data, and text.

When we got out last phones Verizon had a BOGO offer. I've always been the kind to thing of a phone for calls. Why should it do anything else? I told Himself to pick out one he thought would work for him and I'd get the same one so I coul ask him all the questions on how to use it. If all I did was make phone calls it was still worth being the "..GO" in the deal. Oh it is SO much fun to use! Pics, stream radio - heck, re-read Steve's post! This Luddite figured out her Motorola Droid, so can you.
__________________
“You shouldn’t wait to be senile before you become eccentric.”— Helene Truter

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:15 PM   #16
Senior Cook
 
ahoymatey2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Pa
Posts: 233
I have an iPhone. My first iPhone was through AT&T but their service got to the point where I could barely use my phone as a phone. I updated to an iPhone 5 through Verizon and now I have all the fun features plus I can make calls.

If I wasn't already used to the iPhone I would have bought a google phone.
ahoymatey2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:43 PM   #17
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 9,512
You tube has a lot of helpful video hints. Also I got my phone couple weeks ago,and I've going back to the store I bought it from and bugging them for help. They have been very nice about and helping.
__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:03 PM   #18
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,230
Cerise, I have had an Android for some time now. I recently got a new phone for my plan, a Samsung Galaxy 3. I am totally in love with this phone. It is totally functional and virtually effortless on my part. It automatically syncs all my information with my Gmail account, my Google calendars and all the other Google options I use. It surfs the web quickly and easily, and once you command it to do only certain things on WiFi rather than on the data plan it never forgets. There is a book at Costco for $14 to explain all that it can do. I honestly didn't need the book, it was that simple to figure out.

NOT a cheap phone though! Its roughly $650 to replace, but you can get one if you sign a 3 year contract with most providers. My daughter chose to get one too and absolutely LOVES it. She did have a teensy little accident with it though, (something to do with a bee in the car...leaping out...phone went flying and got run over by the car still in gear) and the repairs and replacement screen are pricy!
__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:33 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I have a Tracfone. Very cheap. It does what I need to do, that is outgoing long distance (mostly to my newly widowed and lonely mom). I don't need something to take pictures or connect me to the internet, just for long distance and when I'm traveling (usually to visit Mom). This is cheap and does what I need it to do. I never thought of myself as a technophobe, but am realizing that I am.
I am with you Claire. My phone is free due to my age. I can text with it, but don't know how. I have no interest in learning. And I would much rather hear a human voice than text anyway. I get 250 minutes free a month and pay $5.00 for 250 extra minutes. I really have no need for all the stuff that most folks now think they can't live without. I don't need a toy. The farthest I have gone technie is with Skype. And that is only to talk with my four y.o. grandson who I adore.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:47 PM   #20
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 1,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I am with you Claire. My phone is free due to my age. I can text with it, but don't know how. I have no interest in learning. And I would much rather hear a human voice than text anyway. I get 250 minutes free a month and pay $5.00 for 250 extra minutes. I really have no need for all the stuff that most folks now think they can't live without. I don't need a toy. The farthest I have gone technie is with Skype. And that is only to talk with my four y.o. grandson who I adore.
What company are you with? That's all I need.
Cerise is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

« Texas | trivia 6/4 »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.