Censorship on TV?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
The past couple of years, I've started noticing something. Logos are getting "blurred out" on TV.

I first noticed this a couple of years ago, when PeppA would watch WWE wrestling. After the switch from WWF to WWE, whenever archived video footage is aired, if you look, the WWF logo is blurred out. I can understand that, as the reason they changed to WWE was copyright infringement on another group.

About a year ago, I started noticing that many of the shows on the Discovery Channel are blurring out things. This is really evident on one of my favorite shows, Mythbusters. Ok, license plates on personal vehicles I can understand, but logos on t-shirts?

Just now, I noticed something else. I've got the TV on Disney for the little ones. One of the little "snippet" shows for singing just came out. Imagination Movers, I think it's called. These four guys were singing about their favorite snack. The set was dressed up to look like a small grocery store or gas station snack shop. I noticed that one of the logos was blurred out!

Are advertising companies getting THAT competitive, or are the lawyers just looking for new excuses to sue someone?

Or the opposite side of the spectrum....blatant advertising during a movie.

I've seen DIY shows that cover up logos with duct tape. I'm not sure if they think they're giving free advertising or covering their assets.

If you've ever watched cooking shows on FoodTV where the host uses canned or packaged goods, you will see fake labels on the products. They don't want to endorse a particular brand, especially if they are not paid to do so.

Also on some shows (especially sit-coms) they use labels that look enough like a brand name to make you think of it. Like "Boca Cola."

:) Barbara

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom