Chicken Chronicles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Regarding the pigs and having to feed them.... I have a 94 year old patient at work with a bit of dementia. She tells me everyday at least twice that she will eat anything but pork because a pig will eat anything and they are nasty!
That's funny, in a kind of weird way. :)

That's funny, in a kind of weird way. :)

I wish I could record her yelling "This isn't pork is it, I don't want it if it is because I have seen a hog eat a rat!" then she shudders, then she says it again the next time food is mentioned. :D

and back to the chronicles :blush:

I just meant that it was funny we humans eat far more variety than pigs. AFAIK humans eat everything the same as pigs eat, except we confine them in pens and feed them slop and encourage them to wallow in it. They'd probably wallow in mud if we didn't confine them in pens and make their only mud "slop." Creatures such as pigs, hogs, rhinoceroses, etc. often wallow in mud to avoid sunburn and fly predation. We feed them slop and we wonder why they wallow in it. That makes no sense to me. The reason they wallow in slop is obvious. They are unclean because we give them no alternative. We humans too would be unclean if we were raised the way we raise hogs and pigs.

Last edited:
I just meant that it was funny we humans eat far more variety than pigs. AFAIK humans eat everything the same as pigs eat, except we confine them in pens and feed them slop and encourage them to wallow in it. They'd probably wallow in mud if we didn't confine them in pens and make their only mud "slop." Creatures such as pigs, hogs, rhinoceroses, etc. often wallow in mud to avoid sunburn and fly predation. We feed them slop and we wonder why they wallow in it. That makes no sense to me. The reason they wallow in slop is obvious. They are unclean because we give them no alternative. We humans too would be unclean if we were raised the way we raise hogs and pigs.

When I was a kid, there was a piggery within walking distance of where we lived. I used to go there to work for a couple of hours a week on weekends. Their pens had cement floors. I remember asking about it. It was easier to clean the pens with the hoses and the cement helped keep their feet filed down. The pigs we had just had dirt in their pens. And yes, they loved to wallow in the dirt. You would never know they were all white. The piggery did have large pens that had a three sided hut for nursing mothers so they could get out of the sun. :)

If you or I had to sit in the sun all day and be attacked by flies, and had some mud to daub on our skins, we'd probably do it. We mix the pigs' food with mud and call it slop and we wonder why they wallow in it.

Noting that pot belly pigs are popular house pets in some areas and with some people. If pigs were inherently unclean would they be popular as pets?

Nevertheless, and oddly: I've heard that pigs and humans are very similar in physiology and physiognomy. (I was going to say more but decided to not follow the idea.)

And they haven't even reached the terrible twos. :LOL:
:LOL::LOL:The girls love to take dirt baths and nap in the sun. We provide them with diamectaceous earth "dirt bath boxes" (like kiddie sandboxes).

They are just too endearing to be trouble, PF, some are just turning 12 months. What's not to love about being followed by a flock of chickens (and attacked by a rooster--I've figured out Rocky attacks me when I'm wearing certain clothes--especially when I'm wearing a certain pair of Big Dogs lounge pants). It is so cute when they are running on their little legs in that left-right-left-right gait to keep up with the Big Chicken or when they jump straight up off the ground to take a treat from the Big Chicken's hand. How could they be trouble--they are so cute! Not to mention when they let the Big Chicken dress them in silly things. Road trip for Harriet and Myrtle Friday. They are going to inspect their new digs--little do they know they will be a "chain gang" of two tackling a certain patch of thatch at the other end of that trip. Yes, PF and Addie, they'll be riding shot gun (I promise to take a picture before we leave). But I probably won't post it until Sunday when we get back to the farm unless I break down and bring the laptop and Internet router with me. I wanna come back as one of my chickens!

Last edited:
Looking forward to the pics. I would have loved to be retired on a farm. There is something very comforting about being around animals. No dairy though. They require too much work. And no days off. A horse would be nice. A brood mare. Stallions can be very ornery. Maybe one sheep. An ewe. Although they like to butt also. But not as much as a ram. And definitely a female barn cat. A mouser. And it goes without saying, chickens. A family dog or two. One small one (a lap dog) and a medium size one. Big dogs cost too much to feed and are prone to more ailments. One or two cattle for the freezer. Females. One or two pigs. Sows. I think that is enough. Food for the freezer, and some of them for comfort. My ideal farm. :ermm:

Looking forward to the pics. I would have loved to be retired on a farm. There is something very comforting about being around animals. No dairy though. They require too much work. And no days off. A horse would be nice. A brood mare. Stallions can be very ornery. Maybe one sheep. An ewe. Although they like to butt also. But not as much as a ram. And definitely a female barn cat. A mouser. And it goes without saying, chickens. A family dog or two. One small one (a lap dog) and a medium size one. Big dogs cost too much to feed and are prone to more ailments. One or two cattle for the freezer. Females. One or two pigs. Sows. I think that is enough. Food for the freezer, and some of them for comfort. My ideal farm. :ermm:
+1

Sounds fun CWS! It's been too long for me since I've been on my Uncle's farm in the summers. The only thing I don't miss is getting up @ 4 to head to the milking shed.

Look what I found:

Attachments

• 38-812.jpg
    38-812.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 53
That's why on my dream farm there are no dairy animals. :chef:

My Uncle had 200 dairy cows...most of them were really good about smooshing you in the stalls, on purpose...:rolleyes: I didn't mind the work, but I hated being stepped on. I earned enough every summer to buy my school clothes, supplies and pay for my extra-curricular activities with a little left over for spending cash through till the next summer.

The goats were fun...:LOL:

My Uncle had 200 dairy cows...most of them were really good about smooshing you in the stalls, on purpose...:rolleyes: I didn't mind the work, but I hated being stepped on. I earned enough every summer to buy my school clothes, supplies and pay for my extra-curricular activities with a little left over for spending cash through till the next summer.

The goats were fun...:LOL:

You forgot about a good slap in the face with a cow dung dipped tail. :)

Sorry--no pics! The batteries were dead. However, I will be bringing the girls again. They had a great time. When I "captured" them to put them in the Varikennel (I just could not bring myself to let them ride free in the car), they did a lot of "talking."

Myrtle: I don't like the look of this--last time we went anywhere in this, we moved.
Harriet: But, we moved to a better place.
Myrtle: Yeah, but she didn't take Rocky or the others.
Harriet: Oh dear, oh dear, where are we going?

When I let them out at the house, they were very interested in the everything. The DH was here doing some work and heading back out to the farm for the night, so he took them home. I was going to keep them here overnight, but thought that might screw up their egg production cycle. I wonder what they told the others when they got back from their day off the farm?

Sorry--no pics! The batteries were dead. However, I will be bringing the girls again. They had a great time. When I "captured" them to put them in the Varikennel (I just could not bring myself to let them ride free in the car), they did a lot of "talking."

Myrtle: I don't like the look of this--last time we went anywhere in this, we moved.
Harriet: But, we moved to a better place.
Myrtle: Yeah, but she didn't take Rocky or the others.
Harriet: Oh dear, oh dear, where are we going?

When I let them out at the house, they were very interested in the everything. The DH was here doing some work and heading back out to the farm for the night, so he took them home. I was going to keep them here overnight, but thought that might screw up their egg production cycle. I wonder what they told the others when they got back from their day off the farm?

Myrtle: We went on a great adventure.
Harriet: That's because she likes us the best.
Myrtle: I bet you all thought we wern't coming back.
Harriet: Fooled ja, fooled ja. ha ha.
Cocky Rocky: All right girls, settle down now. Get busy with those eggs. Production was down yesterday. Any of you want to go into the pot? :ohmy:

Myrtle: We went on a great adventure.
Harriet: That's because she likes us the best.
Myrtle: I bet you all thought we wern't coming back.
Harriet: Fooled ja, fooled ja. ha ha.
Cocky Rocky: All right girls, settle down now. Get busy with those eggs. Production was down yesterday. Any of you want to go into the pot? :ohmy:
:LOL::LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom