Chicken Chronicles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am giving this serious thought. Has CC been stolen by the other site? What is the forum owner doing about this? Legal action? I certainly hope so.

CWS... I took a look on the rogue site. A search did not find CC there. I am taking Greg's advice and will not post anything further there. I would like to join you in expressing thanks to everyone who makes D.C. such a great place to share and socialize.

CWS... I took a look on the rogue site. A search did not find CC there. I am taking Greg's advice and will not post anything further there. I would like to join you in expressing thanks to everyone who makes D.C. such a great place to share and socialize.
+1

Millie hasn't gone missing again, but she's driving me crazy. She keeps getting into the neighbour's field. I can't figure out how she gets through the fence. I suspect she uses a tree (remember, chickens don't fly well, but they can get up high). Vertical flight mechanism seems to work better than horizontal.

Yesterday when I got home from the farm, she was strolling around the front yard. I opened the side door...no, can't go in that door. Opened the front door...no, can't go in there today. Armed with a metal baseball bat (Rocky has been EXTREMELY aggressive this week since the chicks are outside as well--guessing he knows how many are roosters--my guess is two), and a yogurt container of corn, I hustled to the gate, tossed the corn behind me, opened the gate, and there was Millie.

"Coooo--where have you been? Is that CORN?" (Chickens can run very fast when there's food involved.)

Millie, Millie, Millie. Between Millie and Edna (the name given to the Wayward Lohmann I picked up on the 23rd), I'll lose my patience. Edna insists on being last one in at night. She's a Harriet-wannabe. Harriet is also a loner, but without the roaming tendency. I count chickens before I close the coop. I am almost always one chicken short. If I wait 10 minutes, Edna comes strolling from the back of the barn.

"Cluck--do I have to go to bed? It's not quite dark. Oh, no, don't hurry me--I'm going this way!" At least she's not going on the front lawn anymore. I haven't had her running around the yard, in the drainage ditch, or in the culvert lately--squawking--where am I? Where are the other chickens? Where am I? Why are you chasing me!!! HELP!!!"

You silly chicken, I am trying to help you by getting you someplace safe before dark!! What is it about that concept that a chicken doesn't understand...

Last edited:
This is more about how one's perspective about eggs changes when one becomes a chicken keeper.

The DH and I were in Ogdensburg, NY on Monday. We were there to pick s/thing up at the UPS Store. Whenever we go down, we stop in at the local Price Chopper to pick up a few things. As we were walking by the egg section, we stopped, noted the price of eggs, and then I picked up a carton of XL eggs. I opened it.

"Myrtle lays bigger eggs than that!"
"This egg is smaller than what Agatha lays and she lays some of the smallest eggs!"
"I wonder how big large eggs are..."
"These are smaller than what Millie lays!"
"Do you think people take eggs out of the small and medium egg cartons and swap them for large and XL eggs to get larger eggs for the price one pays for small and medium eggs?"
"Either that or the egg grading requirements in the States are different."
"I'm glad we don't have to buy eggs."

Never before in my life have I spent so much time examining eggs at a store or discussing them. The difference in the size of the eggs in each carton was an eye-opener. If we'd had a pitcher of water, we probably would've tested to see how fresh the eggs were--hmmm...next trip? (Which reminds me of a dream I had recently--I dreamt I was on a cooking show and challenged with poaching an egg. I put all the eggs in the carton in a bowl of water and then protested that none of the eggs were fresh enough to make a poached egg that Chef Ramsey would accept because all the eggs floated. "These eggs are too old--the white won't stick to the yolk!" I just happened to have two eggs in my pocket, demonstrated that they could stand up on end and they didn't float. So the judges agreed to halt the segment and let me go get my hens so we could work with fresh eggs...for some strange reason, all of my hens were waiting in the wings. Of course, Myrtle and Harriet were flirting with the judges while we waited for Prudence to hurry up and get done laying her egg).

But back to the grocery store, to say we were both a tad bit smug as we continued down the aisle would be an understatement.

Last edited:
This is more about how one's perspective about eggs changes when one becomes a chicken keeper.

The DH and I were in Ogdensburg, NY on Monday. We were there to pick s/thing up at the UPS Store. Whenever we go down, we stop in at the local Price Chopper to pick up a few things. As we were walking by the egg section, we stopped, noted the price of eggs, and then I picked up a carton of XL eggs. I opened it.

"Myrtle lays bigger eggs than that!"
"This egg is smaller than what Agatha lays and she lays some of the smallest eggs!"
"I wonder how big large eggs are..."
"These are smaller than what Millie lays!"
"Do you think people take eggs out of the small and medium egg cartons and swap them for large and XL eggs to get larger eggs for the price one pays for small and medium eggs?"
"Either that or the egg grading requirements in the States are different."
"I'm glad we don't have to buy eggs."

Never before in my life have I spent so much time examining eggs at a store or discussing them. The difference in the size of the eggs in each carton was an eye-opener. If we'd had a pitcher of water, we probably would've tested to see how fresh the eggs were--hmmm...next trip? (Which reminds me of a dream I had recently--I dreamt I was on a cooking show and challenged with poaching an egg. I put all the eggs in the carton in a bowl of water and then protested that none of the eggs were fresh enough to make a poached egg that Chef Ramsey would accept because all the eggs floated. "These eggs are too old--the white won't stick to the yolk!" I just happened to have two eggs in my pocket, demonstrated that they could stand up on end and they didn't float. So the judges agreed to halt the segment and let me go get my hens so we could work with fresh eggs...for some strange reason, all of my hens were waiting in the wings. Of course, Myrtle and Harriet were flirting with the judges while we waited for Prudence to hurry up and get done laying her egg).

But back to the grocery store, to say we were both a tad bit smug as we continued down the aisle would be an understatement.

:LOL: Chef Ramsey is on a lot of minds recently, I had a dream about him 2 nights ago.

This chicken chronicle is dedicated to Addie--the girls #1 fan.

Picture if you will that my kitchen looks as if a bomb has gone off--the dishwasher is full, there are dishes every where since I'd been roasting 25 lb of tomatoes and making tomato paste and puree. Oh, and then I was in the mood for a taco feast. The lefse griddle has made its way upstairs from the basement, ditto for the taco press. I have two types of meat filling (ground "snake" with salsa verde and ground beef with a traditional taco seasoning), a stack of kale-whole wheat tortillas, the ingredients at the ready to start mixing up the corn tortillas. The DH is putting the final touches on the guacamole, the corn-on-the-cob is ready to go in the pot.

"Would you hand me the--"

"Squawk! Squawk! Big Chickens, where are you???" (x 20)

"What the---?"

(We both dropped what we were doing and ran outside).

Myrtle, Elsie, and Harriet were in a semi-circle on the ground by the deck, Rocky was on the top of the septic field:

"Ladies--what's wrong?"

"The sky is FALLING! The sky is FALLING!" (There by proving that somewhere in every chicken's DNA is knowledge of Chicken Little).

Myrtle: "SCREECH!! Why are the two of you just standing there--can't you see, the SKY is FALLING!"

Harriet: "It's true, I saw it AND I felt the earth move."

Elsie: "I'm so scared, I'm shaking!! HELP!"

(The Big Chickens are not prone to hysterics.)

"Do you see anything in the sky?"

"No...maybe it was a fox..."

A quick scan around the perimeter--nothing moved--no fox, no eagle, hawk, or owl in the sky.

"Help, Help, Help!" This from Eggatha (Agatha and Prudence, who were hiding in the raspberry cans).

"Do you see anything?"

"Just Eggy and Pru...oh--there's an egg!"

"Never mind the egg. Where are the rest of the girls?"

(Never try to count chickens when in the "run in circles, scream and shout" mode--you'll always miscount them).

"Let's walk the perimeter--but wait--I need to put on shoes."

A quick walk around the perimeter--trailed by 10 of the 20 hens--nothing.

By now 15 minutes has passed since the first alarm. The girls are settling down, Rocky has moved to the barn.

"What do you think?"

"I'm hungry, let's eat."

Myrtle: "Eat? You can't EAT now! The sky is falling!"

Luckily, the DH noticed that the wood pile he had spent 2 hours stacking had tumbled down. It was not that the sky was falling, there was a woodpile avalanche.

Back inside to enjoy our taco feast. We needed the energy to stack the wood in two piles.

By now it was getting dark--all girls were in the barn, safely installed on their perches. Rocky had no idea he was being relocated to the Rooster Protection Program and did put up a bit of fuss as he was grabbed off his perch and put in the dog crate used to transport chickens from one location to another ...

My thoughts are with you and your family today, Addie. Hope this brought a smile to your face and a cluckle or two.

(c) 2012 CWS All Rights Reserved

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom