"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-01-2011, 09:59 PM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 13,348
Oh, they work for stale bread and their eggshells. They are not hard to please...I hope they like purple...
__________________

__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
https://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:01 PM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 13,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
OMG, you people are insane (in a good way).
Taxlady--you really need a couple of hens...I can probably work my connections and find two or three for you <g>.
__________________

__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
https://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:14 PM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 22,304
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Taxlady--you really need a couple of hens...I can probably work my connections and find two or three for you <g>.
Thanks, but the other members of my condo association already dislike me because I'm not "suburban enough".
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:31 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322
Oh, they work for stale bread and their eggshells. They are not hard to please...I hope they like purple...
I love purple! So is the chicken door installed yet?

Imagine waking up to a freshly laid egg on your pillow....

Hmm. How can they lay eggs on your pillow if they're wearing diapers?
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:51 AM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 13,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I love purple! So is the chicken door installed yet?

Imagine waking up to a freshly laid egg on your pillow....

Hmm. How can they lay eggs on your pillow if they're wearing diapers?
Dawglover, are you egging me on? I hadn't thought of that...but the DH did (the egg in the "poo pouch"). He's nixed the diaper project--but, he's only here on weekends, so I'm sure I can break away from work and DC for a few hours when he's not here to whip up some diappies for the girls. I did counter him with the idea that if I made them out of polar fleece, the girls might stay warmer in the winter...except, they probably would appreciate booties too...
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
https://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:28 AM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,456
Have you ever seen those dogs (and cats) try to walk wearing booties? Gonna start a new chicken dance.
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:10 PM   #47
Executive Chef
 
Timothy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
Posts: 2,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Dawglover, are you egging me on? I hadn't thought of that...but the DH did (the egg in the "poo pouch"). He's nixed the diaper project--but, he's only here on weekends, so I'm sure I can break away from work and DC for a few hours when he's not here to whip up some diappies for the girls. I did counter him with the idea that if I made them out of polar fleece, the girls might stay warmer in the winter...except, they probably would appreciate booties too...
It's said that a large amount of the body's heat is expelled through the scalp. When Dinky, my cat sleeps with me, he loves to lay right on top of my head on the pillow. It makes me sweat like crazy and I always move him off. Kind of like wearing a heated fur hat while sleeping.

Your ladies might lay that egg right on top of your head!
__________________
Confirmed Sushi Addict
Timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:23 PM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 13,348
If I can find my knitting needles, I think Harriet and Myrtle might go outside in the snow if they had the proper attire:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...49627519583&ty
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
https://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:31 PM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
If I can find my knitting needles, I think Harriet and Myrtle might go outside in the snow if they had the proper attire:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...49627519583&ty
I can just see you knitting in some chicken panties too!

What next, a pet door?
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:32 PM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 13,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I can just see you knitting in some chicken panties too!
Not to mention that they probably would like "hoods" on their attire!

Don't laugh--a friend installed an automatic door so the chickens can go in and out. I'm getting the sense Chicken keepers can be as crazy as dog people...having been a dog person for years, it is small wonder I'd progress to a Chicken keeper at my age...
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
https://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:43 PM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Not to mention that they probably would like "hoods" on their attire!

Don't laugh--a friend installed an automatic door so the chickens can go in and out. I'm getting the sense Chicken keepers can be as crazy as dog people...having been a dog person for years, it is small wonder I'd progress to a Chicken keeper at my age...
Why not? Have fun, life's short.
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:57 PM   #52
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
OMG, you people are insane (in a good way).
My kind of folk!
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:02 PM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
If I can find my knitting needles, I think Harriet and Myrtle might go outside in the snow if they had the proper attire:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...49627519583&ty
It's nice to know that you are not alone in this world of yours. Can I join you?
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:15 PM   #54
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
As a child on the farm, one of my chores was to feed the chickens. I got the bright idea one fine boring day, to take elastics, cut them into pieces, and poke them in the ground with an end sticking out. I must have done a great job because some of them snapped back at the chickens as they were pulling on them. Soon after a lot of the eggs were not fit for the stand we had by the roadside. When questioned, thinking I had done a clever thing, I owned up. But not before I had a hole in the side of my leg when one of the chickens had caught on and came at me. I still bear the scar today. Needles to say, I was taken off chicken duty and punished severely. I had to feed the pigs. A job I hated.

For a long time I failed to understand what the problem was. After all, when a chicken started to cut back on her production of eggs, she was headed for the freezer and would be replaced by a whole new clutch in the spring. We had Rhode Island Reds. One year a Plymouth Rock came in the new clutch. She turned out to be a big producer of double yolkers. We got them for breakfast.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:00 AM   #55
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322
I'm getting the sense Chicken keepers can be as crazy as dog people...
Nuh uh. Chicken keepers are MUCH crazier than dog people. This is common knowlege. Just ask my dog.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:35 AM   #56
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Nuh uh. Chicken keepers are MUCH crazier than dog people. This is common knowlege. Just ask my dog.
It might just be a tie. My son is on the lookout for a smoking jacket for his small Maltese and a pipe. And if he were a chicken person, those diapers would have already been bought. There are moments when I tell folks he is adopted.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:08 PM   #57
Executive Chef
 
Timothy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
Posts: 2,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I was taken off chicken duty and punished severely. I had to feed the pigs. A job I hated.
I'm with you there, Addie! Feeding the hogs scared me badly! I had many nightmares about those hogs rushing me and getting me down on the ground among them. I was terrified of them. I saw them eat too many things and realized that a skinny little boy's arms and legs would be no problem to them.
__________________
Confirmed Sushi Addict
Timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:38 PM   #58
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
I'm with you there, Addie! Feeding the hogs scared me badly! I had many nightmares about those hogs rushing me and getting me down on the ground among them. I was terrified of them. I saw them eat too many things and realized that a skinny little boy's arms and legs would be no problem to them.
They will eat ANYTHING you throw in their trough. If you ever want to commit miurder, do it at night and toss the body in their pen. It will be gone by morning. Bones and all.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:45 PM   #59
Executive Chef
 
Timothy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
Posts: 2,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
They will eat ANYTHING you throw in their trough. If you ever want to commit miurder, do it at night and toss the body in their pen. It will be gone by morning. Bones and all.
Now you're just scaring me!
__________________
Confirmed Sushi Addict
Timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:53 PM   #60
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Now you're just scaring me!
They have quite a mouthful of teeth. The bottom front teeth grow out straight forward. And you don't want to keep a boar. Their tusks can grow really fast. In the wild, they use those front teeth to dig for roots and other foods.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
chicken

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×