Chicken Fried Steak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
...chicken fried steak or they call it Country fried steak...
Some people I know (in SC) distinguish between the two. If it has white gravy they call it chicken fried steak, and if it has brown gravy they call it country fried steak. In California I had never heard it called anything but chicken fried steak.

:)Barbara

I love this post. I just need to read back through it, is all....
I had Mama's recipe bookmarked from this morning, picked up some cube steaks this afternoon when I was in town (made while I waited), and am all set to make chicken fried steak tonight! I just need to find a different recipe for the dredging..... No self rising flour and no baking powder to make my own self rising flour.....
But that won't stop me.

Some people I know (in SC) distinguish between the two. If it has white gravy they call it chicken fried steak, and if it has brown gravy they call it country fried steak. In California I had never heard it called anything but chicken fried steak.

:)Barbara

hmmm, I'm surprised it wasn't called chicken grilled tofu.... ;)

this thread is making me want to country or chicken fry my hamburgers.......

I had Mama's recipe bookmarked from this morning, picked up some cube steaks this afternoon when I was in town (made while I waited), and am all set to make chicken fried steak tonight! I just need to find a different recipe for the dredging..... No self rising flour and no baking powder to make my own self rising flour.....
But that won't stop me.

That's okay pacanis, just use AP flour and a little more salt and dredge the steak in the flour and then in the egg wash and then back into the flour before frying.

found this for substitutions for baking powder.....
1/4 teaspoon baking soda plus 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar OR 1/4 teaspoon baking soda plus 1/2 cup buttermilk (decrease liquid in recipe by 1/2 cup)

but I've found that when you are looking for a sub for something, you are even less likely to have the things to make a sub for the original ingredient than you were to have what you actually needed!!!!!!!

I think just straight up baking soda would work just fine too for breading.
I'm regretting my burgers ALOT now.

But that won't stop me.

Let us know how it turns out, pacanis!

Lee

found this for substitutions for baking powder.....
1/4 teaspoon baking soda plus 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar OR 1/4 teaspoon baking soda plus 1/2 cup buttermilk (decrease liquid in recipe by 1/2 cup)

but I've found that when you are looking for a sub for something, you are even less likely to have the things to make a sub for the original ingredient than you were to have what you actually needed!!!!!!!

I think just straight up baking soda would work just fine too for breading.
I'm regretting my burgers ALOT now.

:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL: That is so true! I'm reading through this thinking, what, is she kidding me?! If I had all that stuff I'd have the self-rising flour to begin with and wouldn't need a substitute for baking powder! :LOL:

You kill me, Suzi :LOL:

On to post.....

Too late for the double dredge, Mama. Next time.

So here's what happened;
I started three cube steaks out by pounding them and doubling their size. They were maybe 1/4" or a tad thicker.
I used Mama's recipe aside from "Pete's' hot sauce" (sorry Pete, only had Frank's) and the self rising flour. I used AP. Barb L gave me a tip on simmering the meat after browning both sides, so I did. This is when I added my onions and mushrooms.
Then between prepping and cooking the mashed potatoes, green beans, and separating the saute pan "innards", things got hairy. After simmering, I put the steaks on a plate in the oven at 200F. This I figured would "crisp" them again besides keeping them warm. It did.
I scooped the solids out of the saute pan and into another heated pan, adding some butter and then some flour to both pans for my roux.
I added beef broth to the pan with the mushrooms & onions and some milk to the original saute pan. Gravy ensued. Surprised the heck out of me :) I didn't have to toss it.
Then I plated everything and ate..... a bite here, a bite there.... some potatoes, now the other..... I didn't know which I preferred :huh: I kept trying to decide, but couldn't.
HOWEVER, the proof is in the leftovers! I was stuffed. I looked at my plate. And sitting there for all to see (graphic pic included) were two pieces of leftover chicken fried steak and country fried steak (or whatever). The brown gravy with the beef broth, mushrooms and onions had maybe 2-3 bites more gone than the gravy made with milk. Although I admit, it was not a "pure" white gravy.

Further tests may need to be conducted ;)
I was happy with both and have that third steak left over for tomorrow or the next day. I mixed both gravies for my leftovers so as not to confuse myself any more than I already have.
If I had anything to change, I would have seasoned them more as they were cooking. It completely left my mind to add more salt and pepper. And... I would have removed my emergency s&p from the one pic. Honest, I keep the "real" kosher salt and pepper mill around the corner where I prep :angel:

Attachments

• fried steak1.jpg
    fried steak1.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 147
  • fried steak2.jpg
    fried steak2.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 150
  • fried steak3.jpg
    fried steak3.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 209
  • fried steak4.jpg
    fried steak4.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 158
Pacanis... you just have to RUB it in don't ya!!!!

Looks great by the way... I'm humbled!

Pacanis... you just have to RUB it in don't ya!!!!

Looks great by the way... I'm humbled!

And I'm still stuffed. No DQ for me tonight :(
Thanks, Sattie :) I like making something different that is actually edible.

Pacanis, I hadn't seen this thread. I guess I need to get out more.:LOL:
I, like you, am going to read over this thread much more. I need good hints here. I knew about the kind of meat used as I've made it many times but will not say mine is any good or very good. DH loves it though. LOVES chicken fried steak, again, not mine, just in general.
In Cambria last weekend, he had that for dinner at the Sow's Ear. He said it was the best chicken fried steak he'd ever had and that's a compliment because he's had it in many states prepared many different ways. Before the Sow's Ear, his favorite was from the Cotton Patch in Dallas Fort Worth. I called them, they gave me their best idea of what the ingredients are, but problem was and is, that their seasoning for the dredging, is prepackaged and not labeled with what's in there. Anyone's guess, unfortunately, that didn't help, the man told me it comes in big huge predone bags from an outside vendor so he didn't know the ingredients.

This came out pretty tender alright. Much moreso than just frying a cube steak in a pan. I've never ordered it out, so have nothing to go by, but Mama's recipe plus some other good tips I got here and I'll be making it again.

2 gravies!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!

Guess what I'm gettin' at the grocery store today.
:)

Okay I am going to try this tonight. Hope mine comes out as good as Pacanis's did.

Back
Top Bottom