Chicken Fried Steak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
Last night one of the friends came over and tells me he likes chicken fried steak or they call it Country fried steak. Could someone please clarify for me exactly is the 'steak' pork or beef? It surely isn't chicken. He told me he knew it was beef. Since I rarely go out to eat, and our family never called it Country or Chicken Fried, we usually prepared this with breading and pork. Now was this the same thing or is it breaded beef? Thanks for your understanding and help.

It is normally made with tenderized cube steak, ITK
Just dredge it through flour and fry, or, you can dip in egg then dredge. It can be made a few ways.

It's generally made with cube steak, breaded, fried, then make a gravy.
I'm not a fan of cube steak so I find something else more tender, pound thin if needed and carry on.
But yes, it's beef.

They called it Chicken Fried in Texas, and the call it Country Fried in Illinois. The best I've had was made with sirloin.

Pork is also great that way. You can buy pork cutlets or make your own out of pork steaks. I've always just called this breaded pork cutlets.

Everyone has given you good information. It's just steak fried as if you were making fried chicken, hence the name.

If it's pork, it would be called Chicken Fried Pork. Normally it is served with a white gravy. For the steak it can be cubed steak or some other steak, pounded thin. I don't mine the cubed steak and I don't think I've ever had a tough one.

I've had it with white sausage gravy but the other day, I saw Paula Deen make it with a brown onion gravy in a Throwdown episode and it was hailed as authentic Southern style.

Down here we don't care what color the gravy is - just make gravy!!!!!!!!!:LOL: I've only seen it a few times with a brown gravy but at a local place they will ask you if you want brown or white gravy.

when i buy cube steak, i buy a nice round steak and ask the butcher to tenderize it twice. super tender and maybe just a tad less expensive.

it was my late husbands absolute favorite meal. follow the directions everyone gave you, it is delish. never served it with gravy.

babe:chef:

ITK... this is one dish I have yet to master. DH loves it, but I have not discovered the trick to making awesome CFS. When you have good CFS.. it is tender, fall apart in your mouth goodness with a filling gravy!!!! The gravy itself can be made a meal of!

Hey Mama... I'm gonna check out the thread you posted... maybe I can figure out how to do it right! Thanks ITK for posting this!

My mom was the best cook in the world (honest!), but she didn't like the way her chicken fried steak turned out. So whenever we went on vacation she ordered it at most of the places we went. That was her big vacation treat every year. :cool:

:)Barbara

ITK... this is one dish I have yet to master. DH loves it, but I have not discovered the trick to making awesome CFS. When you have good CFS.. it is tender, fall apart in your mouth goodness with a filling gravy!!!! The gravy itself can be made a meal of!

Hey Mama... I'm gonna check out the thread you posted... maybe I can figure out how to do it right! Thanks ITK for posting this!

Just make sure you pound it out fairly thin and it should be very tender. Hope you enjoy it Sattie!

Just make sure you pound it out fairly thin and it should be very tender. Hope you enjoy it Sattie!

I got ya booked marked... I will let you know how it turns out next time I attempt this!

Pretty much, Yeah! what ererybody else said. I used to see a cut of beef called "Chivken Fried Steak". It was not cubed, it was very tender and thin cut. It had a vein of grizzle in the middle of the meat. I haven't seen it lately. Never thought of the cubed steak.

AC

I've had it with white sausage gravy but the other day, I saw Paula Deen make it with a brown onion gravy in a Throwdown episode and it was hailed as authentic Southern style.

This also how I make mine, to make sure its gets tender - after browning both side I had 1-2 Tbls. water and cover, simmer for about 15 -20 mins. Take cover off raise heat and re crisp if needed. Take out then make your gravy. Now I am hungry for it !!! :-p

Is there a technique for that, Barb?
I always have an "interesting" time adding broth or water to something I've been cooking in a little oil.

I think I'm going to make this for dinner sometime this week. I just need to pick up the cube steaks. I like cube steaks anyway and haven't had them in a while. I always fried them in a little oil with salt, pepper and garlic powder, then served it on a piece of garlic toast. Makes a great breakfast with scrambled eggs. I've been meaning to try this "chicken fried steak" that I've heard about and am making myself hungry too, just thinking about it.

Personally, I don't use the pan drippings to make the gravy. Granted, I'm missing out on all that wonderful fond... but I like the contrast of a milk/cream gravy with the flavor of the breaded steak... I use a roux made with either bacon fat or butter.

Aren't you people the BEST and I do mean it! I often worried when my mom would pass what would I do? It's as if a prayer was answered when I request help none of you hesitate. could I want more than that? I don't think so. I just had to find out no matter how ignorant it seemed because we might have eaten it but never had name for it. Thanks to you all for sharing the different ways. Hope I do it right now.

Food, family and dogs are most important things in my life. Think most of you must feel the same way. Oh, good health is another one.

Back
Top Bottom