Chief's Tip of the Day:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Every year I make the Christmas Wreath cake. I have always wanted to put coconut on the ouside to make it looke more like a wreath. I let my daughter talk me out of it every year. She hates coconut. Well, I stopped listening to her. Guess who eats most of the cake now. :angel:

Well done Ads, I like the way you think ;)

Well done Ads, I like the way you think ;)

For family I try to please. But that gets old after a while. My daughter loves oatmeal cookies with raisins. I hate oatmeal cookies and raisins. So as far as I am concerned she can have raisin cookies with oatmeal. But if it is something I like, to bad. I make it to my liking. :angel:

Chief's Tip of the Day;

When I'm feeling drowsy, and need to be alert, whether at work, or home, I eat a teaspoon of my home-made hot sauce, made with ghost peppers. It's not so hot as to scorch my mouth (I tolerate really hot peppers well), but if it were to go up my nose (like if I sneezed), or down the wrong hole, I know I would be in distress. My brain and body react to the pepper, making me wide awake and alert. The effect lasts for three or more hours.

I wouldn't recommend everyone using the Buhk Jalokia pepper sauce that I make, but as hot as you can tolerate. Your body will go on high alert after downing a teaspoon or so. And, it's healthy, full of good nutrients, and nothing to harm you. It's also non-habit forming. I know it works wonderfully for me.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Actually, it is habit-forming ;) The pain causes the brain to release endorphins, the pleasure chemical. People do become addicted to that.

If you are anemic and trying to add iron to your diet by including legumes, add freshly squeezed lemon (or lime) juice to the beans so that the iron in the beans can be absorbed by your body.

After you've juiced a lime or lemon, toss the "skins" in a zippie and in the freezer. You can use them for zest or shove them in the cavity of a chicken when roasting (I only use the lemon skins for that).

After you've juiced a lime or lemon, toss the "skins" in a zippie and in the freezer. You can use them for zest or shove them in the cavity of a chicken when roasting (I only use the lemon skins for that).

When a recipe calls for the juice of one lemon, I zest it first before I cut and squeeze out the juice. Then I put it in the container I have in the freezer. When I need to use some, I soak it in warm water to thaw and soften the zest. And if the recipe will allow it, I use the liquid in the recipe. I only soften the zest in just a couple of spoons full of water. The lemon flavor is very intense. :angel:

When a recipe calls for the juice of one lemon, I zest it first before I cut and squeeze out the juice. Then I put it in the container I have in the freezer. When I need to use some, I soak it in warm water to thaw and soften the zest. And if the recipe will allow it, I use the liquid in the recipe. I only soften the zest in just a couple of spoons full of water. The lemon flavor is very intense. :angel:
I do that, too. Sometimes, however, I'm just too lazy to do it and find the existing container of zest in the freezer, so I just toss the lemon skins in.

Nice tip, thanks CWS :)

For everyone 35 and younger, or if secure enough, over; find a career that you love, even if it's carving wooden figurines. If you love skiing, become a ski instructor, or better yet, turn that mechanical engineering degree into a job designing skis. If you love fishing, teach yourself to make superior fishing rods that you can sell. Especially now that virtually anyon can set up shop on the WWW, there is a market for talent, and lots of ways to market into specialized areas. Just make sure your product is good.

If you settle, then you will merely be using your job to support other things, which will probably use up resources. If you can make money doing what you love, then you can bring that positive energy back to your spouse, and your children.

If you love helping those who are in distress, be a nurse.
If you love airplanes, design, build, fly, and sell RC planes and jets.

Really, you can be whoever you want to be. I wish I had realized this sooner in life. Now, there are too many money-humgry responsibilities to let go of the job I have. I've truly become a slave to the wage.

Don't do that. Though I enjoy working, it can become a grind. And yes, I do enjoy my job, most of the time.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

For everyone 35 and younger, or if secure enough, over; find a career that you love, even if it's carving wooden figurines. If you love skiing, become a ski instructor, or better yet, turn that mechanical engineering degree into a job designing skis. If you love fishing, teach yourself to make superior fishing rods that you can sell. Especially now that virtually anyon can set up shop on the WWW, there is a market for talent, and lots of ways to market into specialized areas. Just make sure your product is good.

If you settle, then you will merely be using your job to support other things, which will probably use up resources. If you can make money doing what you love, then you can bring that positive energy back to your spouse, and your children.

If you love helping those who are in distress, be a nurse.
If you love airplanes, design, build, fly, and sell RC planes and jets.

Really, you can be whoever you want to be. I wish I had realized this sooner in life. Now, there are too many money-humgry responsibilities to let go of the job I have. I've truly become a slave to the wage.

Don't do that. Though I enjoy working, it can become a grind. And yes, I do enjoy my job, most of the time.

You are so right, I graduated from college at the age of 39...it was a big leap for me to go from minimum wage jobs (cooking/cashiering) to going to college and becoming a nurse.

You are so right, I graduated from college at the age of 39...it was a big leap for me to go from minimum wage jobs (cooking/cashiering) to going to college and becoming a nurse.
Not just taking another job. I was 18 months off retirement age when I was offered voluntary redundancy at work. Found out what they were offering and discovered that it was more money than I would take home after tax in the 18 months if I stayed at work. No contest!

I got to spend time at home doing what I wanted to do, I had time to spend with my horse and I even took on a retired riding school horse as well. I was better of than I was when I was working as my transport costs were reduced, I didn't have to wear smart clothes with a clean white blouse every day, I didn't have to faff about with packed lunches or pay through the nose to eat in the staff canteen.

I have time to read books and a newspaper and listen to the radio so I'm much better informed that I was when I was working and I can pound the keyboard with my own work and interests whenever I please. Going too bed now. Early start in the morning. Doing what I want to do.

Last edited:
My tip for the day: Never put anything in the slow cooker that will make the house smell so amazingly good that it will wake you at 3 a.m. in the morning, especially when you have to get up at 6 a.m. to tie a fly, then get ready to be at work by 8.

All I can say is that the pea soup, made from that simmering ham bone, had better be dog-gone good, or I'll have to find a cat to kick, metaphorically speaking of course.

The house smells like those fabulous, made-on-sight pigs in the blanket I used to get at school. Fresh yeasty bread wrapped around a very good hot dog, and baked to perfection.

I'm telling you, the lunch cooks we had at our school were culinary experts. I would say that few people ate better at home than we ate at lunch, and that goes for three different schools I attended here in the Soo.

Sadly, no schools currently serve the high quality food we got. In any case, I'm going back to bed before that proverbial cat wanders in.:ohmy: I mean, I even ate a mini orange, cold from the fridge, hoping that the strong citrus would mask the aroma coming from the slow cooker. It didn't. Getting back to sleep is going to be a challenge.:(

Last edited:
Chief's Tip of the Day:

If you are like me, you just can't afford to purchase enough top quality meat at one time to serve your whole crew. But you can plan ahead. Go to your favorite butcher shop/store, and wait for that perfect steak, or roast, or chicken. Buy it. Stick it away. Comb the shop every payday, and only buy one perfect chunk of protein. Stick it too away. Do this until you have enough great food to cook up a truly memorable meal on an unexpected summer day.

I used two rib steaks for our Valentine's Day dinner last night. By waiting until I had two perfect steaks (I don't usually find more than one in the meat counter at any given time, because I'm looking for prime quality in choice offerings), I was able to serve up the best steaks I've had in a very, very long time. They were large rib steaks, with the cap on. DW looked at hers and was intimidated by it. Once she started eating it though, the flavor, and textural quality was so good that she finished it with no problem. I did too.

You could have eaten those steaks with no teeth.:LOL: And yet, the texture had just enough "bite" to it that it wasn't at all mushy. I want another one, every night for the next week!:ohmy: Sadly, I'll just have to wait until I can find more like them, preferably at the same time as I have some cash. It will take a while.:(

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

For our newer, less experienced cooks;

When slicing long veggies, such as carrots, celery, leeks, etc, after peeling, washing, and otherwise preparing the veggies, place the item to be sliced sideways onto a clean cutting board. For right handers, grasp stabilize the vegetable with you left had by placing the tips of all fingers, and your thumb, on top and just around the sides. Make sure your thumb is behind your index finger. Curl your finger tips back slightly, so that your middle knuckles protrude just a bit. Place the cutting edge of you chef's knife against the top of the vegetable, with the flat side of the knife resting against the knuckles of your left hand. Grip the knife by placing you right hand around the knife handle, and pinching the beginning of the blade, where it meats the handle, with your thumb and forefinger. This will allow you to control the knife both vertically, and horizontally. Finally, push down while sliding the blade forward, in a rocking motion. Move the veggie veggie forward to expose the next portion to be sliced, and repeat.

This may seem awkward at first. As you practice this slicing technique, you will find it so much easier than trying to push the knife straight down, or cutting against your thumb. It's faster, easier, and safer.

Chief's Tip of the Day - Fat

Over the past two decades, we have been bombarded with the idea that saturated fat will harden your atteries, and cause heart failure. We were told to avoid fats, especially animal fats, and eat a mostly whole-grain based diet.

There is now complelling evidence that the advice from the last two decades was just wrong, and had led to a host of dietary problems. See these - Saturated fat not linked to greater risk of heart disease, new research finds - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

No link found between saturated fat and heart disease - Telegraph

Don't Fear The Fat: Experts Question Saturated Fat Guidelines : The Salt : NPR

Carbs against Cardio: More Evidence that Refined Carbohydrates, not Fats, Threaten the Heart - Scientific American

The last article is the one I believe the most. As a diabetic, I have been watching what I eat for 15 years now. I find that when I indulge in high-glycemic load foods, I feel worse, my blood sugar goes up, and gain weight. When I eat foods rich with soluble fiber, and more meat, and yes, I choose well marbled meat and drink only whole milk (less carbs per unit serving that low fat milk), by blood sugar is more easily controlled, I feel better and lose weight. The article also shows that whole milk appears to benefit the heart.

The main thrust of all of these articles is that animal fat is neutral, and doesn't hurt the heart. But the most important idea put forth is that controlling carbohydrate intake, especially limiting processed, simply carbs, like sugar, corn syrup, processed grain, and products that use those ingredients, such as soda-pop, granola bars, sweetened, or unsweetened, highly processed cereals, white rice, etc. do negatively affect the heart, and obesity.

I will continue to eat high-quality, well marbled meat, drink full-fat milk, use butter, and animal fat in cooking, and eat whole grains, and fiber-rich veggies and fruits. Most of all, I will eat a wide variety of foods. This will minimize the bad substances, while insuring that I consume as many healthy foods as possible.

Caution, fats are still calorie rich, and will cause weight gain if eaten excessively. This isn't a free ticket to gorge on meat. It's simply a guideline that points to a healthier, more intelligent, IMO, way of eating.

All of my past family ate meat at every meal, but a sensible amount. Except for heavy smoking, and a fair amount of alcohol, which both shortened my Dad's life, they all lived long and healthy lives. My family ate a wide variety of foods, including a good steak every now and then, bacon, pork chops, etc. I have to admit my mother died in her 60's, but her heart was strong. She had contracted a liver disease from a blood transfusion she got in the early 1960's before blood was properly screened as it is today, after a difficult child birth. It eventually destroyed her liver. There was no cancer, or heart issues with any of my ancestors that I know of.

Moral of the story, ballance your diet with fiber-rich fruits and veggies, such as apples, berries, legumes, and sweet potatoes. Eat a sensibe chunk of good meat. Use herbs and spices for flavoring. Enjoy your food.

Sad part of this, I have to limit my consumption of World Famous Pancakes with real maple syrup to a couple times a year, instead of every weekend. But then again, I already do that.

I have to agree with you Chief. I have been drinking whole milk my whole life since birth. My mother didn't nurse me as I was a preemie. I was on a whole milk formula. Every bone density test has my bones looking like they are the bones of a healthy teenager. You will never convince me that when they remove some of the fat from milk, they aren't also removing some of the calcium. I also was the only one in the family that always ate (and still do) the fat on my meat. I still consider it the best part of a pork chop. I have never been able to digest raw roughage. But I do eat plenty of veggies that are cooked. No problem there.

My diabetes is due to my overweight. Something I did to myself. But I do control it through diet alone. I was on the verge of insulin by injection. I had to do something drastic. That was the last step I want to have to take. I have been off medication for more than a year now, just by changing my diet. And no one can have had a worse diet than me. So if I can do it, so can others. You all have a choice. Like SimonBaker was told, either you start losing weight, or you will be dead in a couple of months, or be told you are going to have to inject yourself at least a couple of times each day. You are not pre diabetic, but are now a full diabetic. The choice is yours. :angel:

Oh I've been a full diabetic since around age 40; that's about 18 years now. It was because I knew nothing about nutrition. I ate whatever I wanted, but was active enough that at 38, was told I had the body of a 28 year old. That changed at age 40. You just can't abuse your body with high carbs forever. I wore our the isle of whatever cells in my pancreas. I do take insulin, once a day, and have been controlling my blood sugar fairly well since being diagnosed. I know two people who died from diabetic complications younger than me because they didn't control what they ate. One was a BIL, and the other was a best friend when we were both teens. Both were very sad, and preventable.

I have believed that reduced fat milk was less healthy for a long time. I have been drinking whole milk my entire life, just like you. My bones are abnormally strong, I have no cavities in my teeth (I still have even my wisdom teeth). I attribute this to good eating, and fortunate genetics.

My reasoning for the milk is that fat takes up space, and is not all that harmful. As it takes up space in the milk, it naturally reduces the milk sugar per unit volume. Take away the fat, and get more water, milk protein, and milk sugar, and less flavor. The milk fat also helps me feel more full, so that I eat less other things at a meal.

Starches that quickly turn to sugars, and sugar, cause weight gain, spike blood sugar, and are inflamatory, all things that lead to, and exacerbate diabetes, and create other health problems as well. Of course the sweetened drink industries (and yest this includes many fruit juices as well as energy boost drinks, and soda pop, are heavily lobbying government to hid these facts. They won't make money selling Sunny D, or Mountain Dew, or Coke, or Red Bull if society is convinced that it will hurt them.

Who cares if their products are killing people, as long as they turn a profit.

I really detest this love of money thing. Teh bible doesn't say that money is the root of all evil. It does say that the love of money is the root of all evil, or in other words, greed, be it for power, possesions, or wealth, si the root of all evil.

Wow! I need to change the subject. Have you tried the apple pie baked in an apple recipe yet? Use Stevia to sweeten the filling instead of sugar and it's a pretty healthy, and yummy desert.:)

I figure if we live long enough, everything we've been told will be found incorrect.

Does this mean that food packaging will now proclaim "Contains Fat!" "Added Fat For Added Flavor!"

Since I am only buying for myself, I choose to have a Porterhouse steak. Nothing cheap about me. But I always buy the biggest and fattiest strip steak I can find. But only when on sale. It gets tossed into the freezer properly wrapped tightly, and left there until they come on sale again. Repeat. Then on the nights I know The Pirate will be here for supper, I take one out. One is just enough for the two of us. About every three months or so, I find the freezer empty. So most of my grocery money that month goes for the freezer fill up. This month was not one of them. I only bought a package of eight Italian Sweet sausages and a 12 package of breakfast sausages. Those will last me for several months. I break them down into individual servings. One sausage per meal, and three breakfast sausages per meal.

Yeah, I am one of those who get food stamps. And not counting the ten dollars I spend each month as my tithe for the church's food pantry, I still receive enough in stamps that I actually have some left over after shopping for the month. I have never had a hungry day. And there are some months when I still have some stamps left over.

I have to silently laugh though. Spike holds onto my EBT card. That way if I should need something, he can pick it up for me. He thinks he is saving me from myself. But it sure beats buying a quart of half and half at the corner store for $3.00 and having Spike pick it up for $1.39. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom