Chief's Tip of the Day:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chief - that is a powerful and wonderful post. I so agree about not procrastinating and to express your loving feelings whilst you can. To take things for granted is the norm and so easily done.

I was going to say the same as Dawgluver about not beating yourself up. OK you didn't do what you intended but think about all that you have probably done for this friend....the bigger picture. ♥

My mother is close to her final days now in a caring home. Whenever I leave her I am aware it could be the last time I see her so I always tell her I love her. I know she knows that and she responds the same but I think I would give myself a hard time if she died and I forgot to say this the last time I spoke to her.

I have always taught my children when they were old enough, "Remember, you don't want to have to live with the "ifonlies" for the rest of you life." If only I had ..... It came back to haunt me when my sister died.

I heard someone speak a nasty remark about my sister at her wake. It really upset me and I got up and walked out. I was standing in the hall trying to decide if I was going to stay or just walk out. Spike came out after me, and reminded me that I didn't want to live with the "ifonlies". If only I had ignored what I heard and go back in and say my final goodbye to my sister. I would have missed out on saying my final goodbye to her and to let her know how my heart was hurting. My walking out would have given me more "ifonlies" than I had realized.

We all are faced with "ifonlies" in life. Some can be avoided and some can't. But we don't know until it is too late.

So Chief, don't beat yourself up with the "ifonlies". Your friend knows your good heart. He understands. :angel:

Last edited:
Chief's Tip of the Day

The four phrases every man must know and use - Yes Dear; You're right dear, I was not thinking clearly; I'm sorry (even if you know she was in the wrong); I love you (even when she's just berated you thoroughly for leaving the toilet seat up, or maybe, especially when she's just berated you thoroughly for leaving the toilet seat up.) :ohmy: :LOL:

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Personally, I would like to hear more: "Please", "Thank You" and "Excuse me".

Shrek has started just standing there when he wants to get by...or "I'm trying to get through here."

Put on your glasses if you use such before cooking is my greatest tip... otherwise strawberry juice bottle will look like the soy bottle and then things get interesting...

Put on your glasses if you use such before cooking is my greatest tip... otherwise strawberry juice bottle will look like the soy bottle and then things get interesting...

and on the same line - reread your recipe because if it says 1/2 cup salt... you might want to consider if it is a typo.... :bash:

Ouch!

My favourite typo is Lobster Humidor , seen it in a cookbook and on the menu at fancy restaurant...

this tip was learned through experience. I'd always heard of the Italian grandmother who cooked her pasta sauce for hours, and created the most divine marinara, or Bolognese sauce. I tried that, seasoned with great care, got the flavor just where I wanted it, and put it in the slow cooker to simmer on low overnight. I got up the next morning and prepared to taste the meat sauce. My expectations were high. I took a spoon and sampled the sauce. I was so disappointed. It was terribly bland, as if there were no seasonings at all. I re-seasoned it, and took it to work to simmer until the pot luck we were having at lunch time. Again, I tasted it and it was so very bland. And then I figured it out.

My timp, do not season with aromatic herbs and spices until the last 20 to 30 minutes of cooking itme. The herbs, such as oregano, basil, rosemary, thyme, bay leaf, etc., rely on aromatic oils and chemicals thatreadily evaporate into the air when released into the sauce. Before long, those flavors you want in the sauce are making your house smell wonderful, and have left the sauce.

The tomato based sauce that were cooked all day, I suspect, were done so to break down the tomatoes and tenderize any meat products. Flavor enhancements such as mushrooms, herbs, and spices, also onion and garlic were added toward the end of the cooking time so that their full flavors were predominant in the sauce.

Another tip: Make you sauce the day before it is to be served. Cook it for about a half hour with the flavoings in it. Remove from the heat and put in a sealed container. Place this into your refrigeator overnight, or until ready to searve. Heat it and serve it. While sitting in the cold, the flavors do distribute themselves and combine to make a sauce that is better, more complex, and richer than before it went into the fridge.

Tip #3: Though crumbled, crisp bacon bits are wonderful in a butterscotch cookie, don't add liverwurst to your cookies, or smoked salmon, or caviar. It just doesn't work.:ROFLMAO:

Seeeeeeya' Chief Longwind of the North

Well spoken Longwind!
I always wondered about some of my flavourless sauces...

I will sleep wiser tonight.

Tarnation! I was just about to add some liverwurst to the chocolate chips... you spoiled my invention.

Well spoken Longwind!
I always wondered about some of my flavourless sauces...

I will sleep wiser tonight.

Tarnation! I was just about to add some liverwurst to the chocolate chips... you spoiled my invention.

AWWW, go ahead and add the liverwurst. I will be your first customer to buy them all. And probably the very last!

One of the things I hate about having a dishwasher is cleaning it. What I do is fill the detergent thingy with Borax and run a cycle. Borax gets rid of the rust and lime. I do this about every 30 days with the DW. I do the same with the washer because my Mom's pants often have fecal matter on them, so after a load of her clothes, with Borax, I run the washer again empty with just Borax.

Last edited:
One of the things I hate about having a dishwasher is cleaning it. What I do is fill the detergent thingy with Borax and run a cycle. Borax gets rid of the rust and lime. I do this about every 30 days with the DW.

I have horrible hard water, and I've never had to clean my dishwasher since I started using Lemi Shine. The buildup simply never gets a chance to happen and my glasses and dishes are sparkling clean every time. It's worth every penny.

https://www.lemishine.com/products/detergent_booster/

Cjief's Tio of the Day:

Tale time to ponder what you are thankful for. Write down in your journal, or diary what important blessings yew have been given in your life, and what you have now. If you think about it, you will find that you can even be thankful for the hard things, as you have lived through them, and learned something from them. Maybe write down something about your spouse, children, significant other, that you admire about them, love about them, and are thankful for. Then, present that to them. Encourage them to do the same back. If you have a faith, give thanks to your creator for your life, ,and the joys you have experienced.

Take the time to think about this, even if it's just 30 minutes. It will enrich your, and your loved ones lives. The Thanksgiving holiday wasn't created so that we could all engorge ourselves with amassing food. The food is a part of the celebration that sows our thanks for what we have. Treat the holiday as it was meant to be treated. Enjoy the football games.the Macy's parade, and especially the time with loved ones. And be thankful for them.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

2-Edge Swords

Everything, and I mean everything, in life is a two edged sword, one side helping, with the other side hurting. For instance, I am healing from a pressure would on my left heel. I have a wound vac attached to the bottom of my heel, which means that I have to get around by whee chair. The wheel chair is cumbersome at best in my home. My outdoor ramp is to code, but when it is covered by snow, I can't shovel it, and DW and I have a hard time pushing the wheelchair through it. When I get the urge to use the lavatory, I had better transfer from my living-room chair into the wheel chair and be headed for the bathroom immediately.

That is one side of that sword. The other:
The limited mobility of my current state makes it easier to stay strict with my allowed fluid intake. I can't just head to the kitchen to get a drink of water, or juice whenever i want to. I have to plan everything. The limited mobility also makes me think things through for wants, Is it really worth the effort to get that want, or is it a necessity.

I am by nature, a problem solver, and am creative. I have had to learn new ways to accomplish chores that were at one time so easy to accomplish. But I have found that when I exercise my brain a little, I can come up with alternative ways of getting things done.

As has always been the norm for me, experiencing this state of health myself helps me to be more empathetic, and understanding of others who have to live with challenges. I know that my health will improve, my feet will heal, and I will be in a position to help others, including DW even more. Tis experience also helps me to be grateful for my Father in Heaven, who has blessed me with the mental strength, and good people who can help me heal, and who has taught me such great life-lessons through the challenges I have faced in my life.

And so, yes, I have had, and have great challenges. But every challenge helps me to grow as a person. That is the other side of that sword.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Don't sweat the small stuff. And this is key; amger never solves a problem. It only complicated a proble, and can escalate something that could be easily resolved into a tense and difficult situation. Be the first to apologize, even if you know you are in the right. This will open the door to conflict resolution, allowing the other party to apologize as well. When you say "I love you, to someone, mean it, and follow up with action.

Just a few tips that will make you a peacemaker, rather than a troublemaker.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Chief's Tip of the Day: Never Give Up, Never lose hope.

My Christmas seemed lost. The oven quit working, DW and DS can't seem to stand being in the same house, kids and grand-kids live too far away, heath issues, car is totaled (hey, my life sounds like a country and Western song:LOL:). Well, I called ans spoke with my eldest daughter, and it did my heart and soul good. She is a joy just to talk to. With the help of a friend, I was able to get the hot surface igniter for my oven, and it is again working. I can bake the few things I really want to bake, and roast a chicken for tomorrow. Though I will miss having DS in my house on Christmas, I have DW here, and will be able to video chat with the grand kids and my kids tomorrow. Nope, I don't have a tree in my house, for the first time in 43 years. But the tree isn't what the holiday is about. I was ready to give up and be miserable. But that's not how I roll. The world will not take Christmas away from me.

Don't let the hard things in life take away the good things in life. Always keep reaching, hoping, and trying to find solutions. They will come, and crisis will pass. Mostly give your family all the love you have, and when You think you've given all that you have, give some more. True happiness never came from receiving, but rather, from giving.

Now, I'm off to make date-filled cookies, in memory of my Mother.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom