"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-25-2019, 07:53 AM   #301
Executive Chef

Chief - you inspire me and I Thank You for encouraging and reminding me to put life in perspective.

Old 12-25-2019, 12:29 PM   #302
Master Chef

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
Reread your recipe because if it says 1/2 cup salt... you might want to consider if it is a typo....
Or is it an Ina Garten recipe?

Old 12-26-2019, 01:09 PM   #303
Chef Extraordinaire

Charcoal and fire starter

When you have taken every kernel, and bit of corn off of that wonderful cob that's in front of you, set the cob somewhere to dry. Inf fact, do it with several cons. After a few days have elapsed, cut those cons into little half-inch discks. Melt some paraffin in a disposable aluminum pan, that you can get from the store for a buck or so. drop the cob discs into the melted was and let them absorb the molten fire starter. Remove and place on parchment paper to cool. You now have little paraffin impregnated discs that will burn long enough to start the charcoal, or a good campfire.

Seeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 01:16 AM   #304
Chef Extraordinaire

Spread the cheer.

I here from all kinds of people that no one knoes how to cook anymore
I run into young people all the time who want to know how. Well, I know a place where they can learn. I steer them to DC. Sadly, only a very few ever access this resource.

I now have a young man who I am mentoring. Though his mother knows how to cook, the twenty-something has learned little from her. He has turned to me as a freind to learn things, like how to build a custom fishing rod, or how to tie flies. Culinarily, so far I have taught him to spatccock, roast, and carve a turkey, make potato pancakes, how to make gravy from a roux, how to prepare and mash potatoes so that they are creamy and fluffy, how to make chili-dog cjili, thickened with orange lentils, and what herbs and spices to use, and hot to make the best french fries. We even made calzonrs together, though I haven't introduced him to making bread dough yet.

This I do for multiple reasons. He is my freind. I am his freind and mentor. I get the joy of both having a good freind, and doing something for another.

If you can find someone, be it a grandchild, a niece or nephew, the kid down the street, or anyone to mentor, and befreind, it will chage both of your lives for the better.

Seeeeya, Chief Longwind of the North
Old 03-01-2020, 08:33 PM   #305
Chef Extraordinaire

Chief's Tip of the Day:

The Human Body, though made up of the same stuff as is a cow's body, is treated differently than a cow's body. The cow is best, and is most valuable with lots of intra-muscular fat, and aged to get the muscle tissue soft.

The human body is best when young, and made tough through exercise. It is most valuable when the muscles are lean and tough, with lots of resilience.

Though proper diet is essential for both, the cattle's diet is comprised of foods that encourage muscle, and intra-muscular fat production. Human food should encourage lean muscle growth, and strong bones, anti-oxidants, and contain viatmins, minerals, and other substances to encourage optimum health for an extended time.

As the human body is most valuable between the ages of 6, and about 45 years of age, make use of this time to enjoy life. Experience the joys of strong relationships with family, especially immediate family, including your children, and include a variety of challenging activities to stimulate the mind and body.

Unfortunately, many have adopted lifestyles that are better suited to producing tender beef, than healthy humans.

Which are you? Which do you want to be? If you are not what you want to be, then identify the challenges keeping you from your goals, and overcome those challenges.

I though I was living right, and then was educated too late as to what I was doing wrong. Learn from professionals, not the interenet, or your buddy. Everyone thinks they know how to do it right. Most are way wrong. I was, and I'm a fairly educated guy.
and commercials, big money, and the media will tell you virtually anything to get you to give up your hard earned money to them. Often, the products they sell do little to improve your life. Rather, you purchasing their product, improves their lives. Shop smart. Act smart. Live smart, especially duting those mid-teen, to mid-40 years.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwid of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/