Chief's Tip of the Day:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I often find that I've made a pot of beans without any added salt, due to the addition of andouille, ham, chorize, etc.

Now I wait until the beans are done before tasting, and often refrigerate them overnight before adding any seasonings.

Beans are one of those foods that readily absorb the flavors of other foods added. Split Pea soup is another one. In fact any dried food that has to be rehydrated. :angel:

Chief's Tip of the Day

Remember to take into account any salt that may already be in food items to be used in recipes where foods are combined, such as lasagna, casseroles, stews, mixed rice dishes, etc. Items like sausages, including hot dogs, have a fair amount of salt already in them. if other ingredients have salt as sell, or if you normally add salt to what you are cooking, you may end up with something too salty.

Case in point: I was making a familiar rice pilaf last night, and changed three ingredients. I used two pre-made soup mixes, an onion, and a chicken soup mix to season the rice, and chopped hot dogs, along with celery and onion. Normally, this dish is made with a packet of chicken soup mix, browned, ground beef, celery, and onions, and is great tasting. Last night, the hot dogs were clearly too salty for the dish. I only added two chopped dogs. Lesson learned.

It's easy to start with unsalted ingredients, and season to taste. When using pre-salted foods, you have to be more careful.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Thank you Chief Longwind of the North. You are SO RIGHT. :)

Thank you Chief Longwind of the North. You are SO RIGHT. :)

And this is the main reason I became a 'no salt' cook. I always forget to put salt in when I am cooking. Unless I am following a recipe. Such as for cookies. I know there is no salt in flour. :angel:

Chief's Tip of the Day:

When prepping large fish, especially members of the salmonid family, remove the belly meat and the fatty meat from under the dorsal fin. To further improve the fish flavor, skin it. This gets rid of much of the fish oil that gives salmon, and trout that somewhat objectionable "fishy" flavor. The flesh has a more delicate, and great flavor, especially with a little salt and garlic.

The dark meat, or bloodline, in many fish, such as tuna, pike, and others, also can have a less than appealing flavor. Remove it.

If you do this, and cook it properly, your fish will be delicious, and contain fewer contaminants. Fish, when prepared properly can be the star of the dinner.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

But, but I like the crispy skin!

Oh yeh, I forgot to say that you can use the skins like cracklins. And smaller fish of the salmonid family don't need to have the skin, or any flesh removed. Just dust them with flour and fry them up. By small, I mean legal, but shorter than 15 inches.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Chief's Tip of the Day

When cooking anything, make up your mind that your primary task is to properly prepare and cook your food. You can listen to the radio in the background, talk to family and friends, etc. Stay away from the TV. Don't let yourself get hung up on the phone, or vacuuming the living room.

I can't tell you how many times I've let myself get distracted and burned what was supposed to be a great meal. Successful cooking requires four things, planning, good ingredients, preparation, and execution. Do these things and your will make, and create great food.

Chief Longwind Of The North said:
Chief's Tip of the Day

When cooking anything, make up your mind that your primary task is to properly prepare and cook your food. You can listen to the radio in the background, talk to family and friends, etc. Stay away from the TV. Don't let yourself get hung up on the phone, or vacuuming the living room.

I can't tell you how many times I've let myself get distracted and burned what was supposed to be a great meal. Successful cooking requires four things, planning, good ingredients, preparation, and execution. Do these things and your will make, and create great food.

Yes...the Internet can be a distraction too...even DC. I have to be careful about that.

Last edited:
Chief's Tip of the Day

When you have an idea, don't let others disuade you, or alter your idea. If they do, then you will never know if the idea you had was a culinary masterpiece, or something better left to be reclaimed by nature.

I had an idea for a change to the basic Toll House Cookie recipe. It was to add freshly made bacon crumbles to the batter. I thought it might taste really great. I was at a friend of my wife's home. The cookies are being made for a beadwork sale at her home. I let her talk me into adding the bacon to butterscotch cookies instead. I believe they will taste great. But I don't know if my idea would have been great or a flop. I will have to wait a long while before I have a reason to make cookies again.

Ah well. It's not for my activity. I'll get my chance to try the idea. I'll post the buterscotch/bacon cookie recipe, and how they turned out.

Every year I make the Christmas Wreath cake. I have always wanted to put coconut on the ouside to make it looke more like a wreath. I let my daughter talk me out of it every year. She hates coconut. Well, I stopped listening to her. Guess who eats most of the cake now. :angel:

Chief's Tip Of The Day

Chief's Tip Of The Day

When making tamales, have a party. Invite friends over to help. The act of making the tamales can be every bit as enjoyable as eating them. You share stories, get to swap jokes, talk about past good time, plan new good times, all those things you like to talk about with your friends. Making the tamales becomes an excuse to get together with family or friends.

Tip 2: Tamales are much easier to make when rolled in parchment paper rectangles. They are steamed the same way, and taste the same. The corn husks don't add any flavor. They just hold the dough and filling together until they are cooked.

I also understand that tamales are all about the dough. The filling is there to add a bit of flavor. And do a bit of research. Tamales are made in numerous countries in South America, with each making slightly different recipes. I have had tamales made with pork, beef, chicken, and a mixture of brown sugar, raisins, and other sweet things. Of course, different sauces were used with the different tamales.

It was great living in San Diego for all those years. I knew people from Mexico, Spain, Puerto Rico, and many other places. It introduced me to a world of rich, ethniciteis, all being wonderful.

Cooking doesn't have to be tedious. It can be a great time, when it's shared with Family and friends.

That works for canning too.

I had a canning party and we made strawberry jam and ketchup. We started with 18 lbs of tomatoes and got 20 x 250 ml jars of ketchup. With people taking turns stirring the ketchup and lots of gabbing, it wasn't tedious.

In our family it was always a pierogi party.

It is fun and important to mix several generations together so the tips, stories etc can be passed from one generation to another.

I like tamale dough that has some whole corn kernels mixed into it. You get a nice burst of sweet corn juiciness when you bite into the tamales.

When you need that special seasoning to take your soup or stew to the next level, think leftover barbecue. I made hot wings for one of my sister (from my own recipe of course). I cut the wings into 3 pieces, the drumette, the wind forearm, and the wing tips. I put all of the wing tips into a quart of water and boiled them while I made the hot wings. This made a very nice broth to which I added a bit of rice, sliced carrot, and sliced celery. All was seasoned with S&P, and thyme. I was satisfied with my soup, until the next morning when I was going to take it to work for my lunch.

I looked in the fridge and spotted a palm-sized chunk of New york strip that had been grilled to medium rare, two nights before. I chopped the steak up and put it in the soup. The flavor is amazing. It's so good that I would consider sacrificing a grilled steak to use for seasoning other dishes.

Chief's Tip of the Day

When you have a leftover bone from a large roast, don't discard it. Throw it into your pressure cooker, covered with water and cook under pressure for 40 minutes. It makes a great broth that tastes like it has been simmered for ten hours. This broth can them be clarified, and used to make an essence, then consume, and finally glaze, as in Demi Glace. It's also great for soups, stews, chowders, and aspics.

I used the bone from a grilled pork, sirloin roast (covered the grill with alder wood in it, lovely flavor on the roastt o make a broth yesterday evening. The flavor, even unseasoned, is outstanding. This essence precursor is not available for any number of recipes.

I love my pressure cooker.:chef:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom